For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Getting Started with Civ6

(June 12th, 2021, 10:13)thrawn Wrote: It's not a draw, they don't fight to the death. Does combat in civ4 always end with one unit dying?
Mostly - yes.  But I take your point.

thrawn Wrote:The combat formula is Damage = 30 * e^(0.04*StrengthDifference) * randomBetween(80%, 120%). So evenly matched units take 30 damage each plus minus 20%. Two good points to remember are if you have a +10 strength advantage you do ~50% more damage and take ~50% less so you'd deal 45 and take 20. If you have a +17 advantage you'd deal ~double and take ~half: 60 and 15.
Yay ... combat math!  So ... was it a good decision, bad decision or ??? decision to attack the scout?  I had thought it was a bad idea to let barb scouts find your capital.

thrawn Wrote:
(June 12th, 2021, 09:14)Ruff_Hi Wrote: Here is strategic view ... not as pretty as normal, but I can see it has its uses.
You have no sense of aesthetics!!
Thanks for the feedback.

thrawn Wrote:
(June 12th, 2021, 09:14)Ruff_Hi Wrote: Which is better in Civ6, production or food?

Generally cities need high production tiles to be good. You do need some way to give them food to grow but the point of growth is so you can have more citizens working production. A big difference between civ 4 and 6 is that here it takes about 10 more food for the next citizen rather than 3 and you don't have anything like the granary, so growing big is much, much harder. And you can't whip, and work worse tiles with each following citizen so often you may deliberately stop growing a city because you need to invest a lot and get little. Other than the yields from worked tiles, you get 0.5 science and 0.3 culture per citizen from them existing, and you need pop for districts: 4 pop for the 2nd district, 7 pop for the 3rd, 10 for the 4th, etc.

City expansion happens via the notorious tile picker one tile at a time, first in the second ring until all are opened and then in the third, but most of the time you need to spend gold to purchase the tiles you need because it often selects the ones you don't. It takes progressively more culture to open the next tile so you'll get the first two quickly (given you have some source of culture like a monument), the next two not so quickly, and for anything past that you'll need a lot of culture. Also wonders grant 2 tiles on construction.
This is good info ... more to chew on.

thrawn Wrote:
(June 12th, 2021, 09:14)Ruff_Hi Wrote: Q6: Is there a log of what happened (ie combat results) in Civ6?  If so, where?

There is, but like most things in civ 6 that are convenient or make sense - in a mod. Get used to it! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...1459493312
Sigh ... last thing I want to do is mod the game.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

I purchased the stone ... for 50g.  In a few more turns, the marsh rice will be mine too.  I need a worker / builder to mine and farm.

Speaking of Farming, the Dutch want to give me a tech boost via completing a farm.  Well ... that is what I tihnk is going on.

I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

(June 11th, 2021, 14:11)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote: Sean Bean is the narrator, the advisor is voiced by what I think is Natasha Loring attempting her best Yorkshire to match him.

D'oh!
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

(June 12th, 2021, 16:37)Ruff_Hi Wrote: I purchased the stone ... for 50g.  In a few more turns, the marsh rice will be mine too.  I need a worker / builder to mine and farm.

Speaking of Farming, the Dutch want to give me a tech boost via completing a farm.  Well ... that is what I tihnk is going on.

You're misconstruing what Amsterdam is telling you. They want you to gain the boost for doing 3 farms, and you'll get another envoy with them (assuming you were the first civ to meet them. You get a free envoy for first to meet a city state). Envoys give bonuses at 1, 3 and 6 in a city state plus an extra bonus for being suzerain >= 3 envoys plus more than any other civ. First bonus is a flat +X at the cap, second and third are bonuses on buildings in districts, eg 2nd bonus from science city states give extra beakers on libraries. Suzerain bonus is unique to each city state and they vary wildly in power.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

If you are on a PC with Windows, log files are located in Documents -> My Games -> Sid Meier's Civilization VI -> Logs.  There are log files for everything, including combat (IIRC).  Note that the logs will be overwritten each time you start the program and either start a game or load a save. 

Thrawn provided the combat damage formula.  One thing regarding that is that a strength difference of 30 will result in a one-shot kill about half the time.  A strength difference of 36 guarantees it 100% of the time.  A combat unit will lose 1 combat strength for every 10 damage it's lost, rounding to the nearest 10. 

Judging by the screenshot and description the quest appears to be "Earn the eureka for Irrigation".  If you farm a resource you'll get the boost for that tech (40% of the research cost) and one envoy at Amsterdam. 

Attacking the barbarian scout is usually a good idea.  If a scout finds your city and activates (red exclamation point) and then returns to its camp then the camp will spawn a raiding party.  The raiding party consists of two "current" melee units and one current ranged unit.  Those units will head for the target city, attack units and pillage improvements.  There is a turn timer that needs to expire before they will actually attack a city.  Any city they take will be razed, except the capital (which cannot be razed).  Once the raiding party is at your borders for 10 turns they will go away...and the camp will spawn an attacking party consisting of the same complement of units (IIRC) plus a current tech siege unit.  Those units, plus any others, will go to the city with the intent of attacking and razing.  Barbarians globally have a running boldness score - suffering attacks and losing units decreases the score, being left alone or killing player units will increase it.  The boldness value controls things like random unit spawns, camp spawns, etc.

You'll also get two boosts for barbarian killing.  Kill a total of three barbarians and that's the eureka for Bronze Working.  Clear a barbarian camp and that's the inspiration for Military Tradition.

Border expansion is determined by the amount of culture the city has cumulatively generated.  It will expand to a new tile at 10, 20, 35, 52, 72, 93, 115, 138 (there's a formula somewhere for that) and tiles obtained through other means don't affect those thresholds.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

I found a natural wonder ... Torres Del Paine.  Spain must be close.

I guess I settle near a Nat Wonder and people come and visit?

Finished a builder, improved stone, found barb encampment, got encircled ... fortified!  Purchased a slinger who killed a barb - boost for Archery.

Finished first culture tech ... enacted government (Discipline & God King).

Also farmed rice and got an extra envoy with Amsterdam.

I met Mvemba a Nzinga or Kongo who, I think, is coming over for lunch.

Game is nagging me about amenities and housing. And I have to make a devotional (?) decision.

The names of natural wonders don't indicate what opponent civs are nearby. The names of other places, however, are usually named by the civ that found them first (unless the game runs out of civ-specific names). You'll get better yields settling near the wonder. As for tourism, that's a post in itself.

For amenities you need to connect luxury resources - each unique luxury resource you have provides one amenity to four different cities. You need one amenity for every odd-numbered amount of population you have in a city (1 for 1 pop, 2 for 3 pop, etc). There are also policies available as you move through the civics tree.

For housing you need to either create improvements that provide housing (farms and plantations give 0.5 each) or build buildings that provide housing (granaries, for example). When your city is 1 below your housing limit its growth is slowed 50%. When it's at or slightly above the housing limit growth is slowed 75%.

The pantheon selection happens when you reach 25 faith. The bonus effects of the pantheon apply to all of your cities throughout the game, regardless of their religion (if any).

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

The closest CIV to Torres del Paine would be Mapuche considering that it is located in Chile/Patagonia. Suboptimal is right though that the Natural Wonders are placed at map generation and each is distinctively different from others so you cannot derive your opponents from it.

Rivers, Mountain ranges, deserts and bodies of water are fair game though.

Actually, there won't be any place names in this game. With Amsterdam as a city-state this is a vanilla game.