For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Getting Started with Civ6

Unit cycling (or more precisely the lack of unit cycling) was a big pain point early on. Assigning the “Next Unit” hotkey to to the “c” key was a big quality of life improvement for me (in civ4 the “c” key centers the screen on the active unit, and I use that key a dozen times a turn as I pan around the map). The function isn’t quite the same since that Civ4 hotkey cycles to the next unit, but it is still good enough to jump the view back to a relevant location after planning around the map.

Excellent tip - thanks.

I find moving around the map is dangerous ... I think I am moving the map, but I am actually giving orders to the active unit. I have been clicking into the mini-map to move more and more.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

I had marked out a nice city spot ... and had a settler on the way ... when one of my neighbors took the spot. This is just how I play ... slow to settle cities. I will try and take the city ... to see how painful that is in Civ6.

Initial thoughts on Civ6 ... too much going on. Multiple tech trees ... and even tech trees that I didn't know about (pantheon). I also find it very difficult to keep an eye on what is happening in and around my land (I didn't even see that settler above). I might try again. I might just drop back to Civ4 and play some Civ Fant HOF games (they added a win option that I am missing).
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

Shame.

Since you've all mentioned that you essentially need mods for the UI.

What mods do you say are essential?
Are you using them in your MP games here?
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

I'm not a hardcore-enough player to say "I absolutely need these mods" but there are a few that I've got and they do make life easier:

- Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments - mainly QoL improvements to the UI, including making the city banner much more informative on mouse-over
- Sukritact's Global Relations Panel - brings a Civ 4 style display for alliances, DoF, war, etc, into Civ 6
- Extended Policy Cards - shows the current or potential effects of changes in yields if a policy is slotted.
- Better Report Screen - haven't been using this much yet but required for Extended Policy Cards to work
- Better Trade Screen - does a better job at sorting routes and displaying the effects of trade routes. Also provides an actual calculation of trade route duration rather than whatever the base game displays.

I am using these in PBEM 21 since we've allowed UI mods for that game. I haven't seen any data leakage in these like we did with CQUI.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

<p>
(June 20th, 2021, 10:25)Ruff_Hi Wrote: Initial thoughts on Civ6 ... too much going on. Multiple tech trees ... and even tech trees that I didn't know about (pantheon). I also find it very difficult to keep an eye on what is happening in and around my land (I didn't even see that settler above). I might try again. I might just drop back to Civ4 and play some Civ Fant HOF games (they added a win option that I am missing).
<br></p><p><br></p><p>This is my exact experience, if that makes me a Grognard (?) so be it.&nbsp; Civ4 for me!<br></p>

My big issue with Civ6 is the switch to one unit per tile. I like the strategic game, not a tactical game.

I've spent time in Galactic Civ 3. I'm still playing Civ3 with CCM monster mod. I trying to shake off the Civ4 rust, and go back and play some of the Adventures / Epics I never played.

I struggle with civ 6. I think it can be so much better than civ 4 but Firdaus forgot the lessons of civ 3: reduce micromanagement as much as possible.

Simplify overflow (reduce overflow by modifiers then add overflow to next turns output and add new modifiers). Simplify border pops (just implement a per city culture bank and let people buy tiles with culture), yield from policy cards needs to be shown on screen rather than require manual calculation, UI needs to show relevant info etc. Balance is a different issue, but it's not possible to truly judge balance when players can't work out their best moves because of lack of information, and time needed to find it.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

(September 9th, 2021, 02:40)Krill Wrote: I struggle with civ 6. I think it can be so much better than civ 4 but Firdaus forgot the lessons of civ 3: reduce micromanagement as much as possible.

Simplify overflow (reduce overflow by modifiers then add overflow to next turns output and add new modifiers). Simplify border pops (just implement a per city culture bank and let people buy tiles with culture), yield from policy cards needs to be shown on screen rather than require manual calculation, UI needs to show relevant info etc. Balance is a different issue, but it's not possible to truly judge balance when players can't work out their best moves because of lack of information, and time needed to find it.

Could not agree more.