Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Please Change Sanctify

I love the sanctify spell, but because of limitations in this game, everything has to be cast one unit at a time. Because sanctify is such a necessary spell, this means whenever I use life I have to cast it again and again and again. If I'm alone in this then so be it frown)

(August 14th, 2021, 03:24)NathanMoM Wrote: I love the sanctify spell, but because of limitations in this game, everything has to be cast one unit at a time. Because sanctify is such a necessary spell, this means whenever I use life I have to cast it again and again and again. If I'm alone in this then so be it frown)

A global spell could solve this.

Yes I would like to see more options available to avoid having to micromanage enchantments on hundreds of units.
So a global or city enchantment instead of sanctify on each unit would be good.

I've always like the idea of a combat version of enchantments that affects all your units for things like bless, resist magic etc. would mean that these become actual counters like they are supposed to be rather than just affecting one unit and leaving all the rest exposed to confusion or possession etc. Versions of enchantments that affect the whole stack like holy bonus might be a nice way of avoiding all the micromanagement too.

I too find individual unit castings to be tedious and not fun. I haven't played a Life game for a long time, simply due to the tedium.

The Warlords mod adds some of those unit buffs to R or VR global spells (all units start with the buff). That's an improvement, but I rarely get to VR spells (game is just clean-up then, and turns are slow), so the early game is still tedious.

A global spell might be too powerful early in the game, and take too long to cast, and the upkeep might be too high for early economy and too low for later economy. A city spell (gives the buff for units built there) could have lower barriers to its use. Maybe someone can offer a creative (but easy to program) solution that could make upkeep costs for city/global unit buffs be based on number of units, or year, or some other factor that makes the spell a strategic decision rather than an automatic one.

As for the AI, I don't know, but in general it would be relatively easy to add uncommon global combat spells that give a common buff to all units in combat, e.g.: Resist Elements All, Guardian Wind All ... However, in contrast to individual unit buffs, such spells are undispellable and then have no counter, which looks unfair. Late game globals, spamming unit buffs already exist with Holy Arms, Wind Mastery, Ruler of Underworld, Chaos Surge, Blazing Eyes... Manually spamming unit buffs has become much easier lately with the new hotkey: “Holding the >SHIFT< key while targeting an overland unit enchantment spell will automatically start casting the same unit enchantment spell again.”
In the MOD More Stuff I've come quite far with the addition of race-specific buildings that only one (or very few) races can build, most of which come with a unit buff spam effect among other things. For example: Beastmen like to build the Golden Calf, which turns their units into sacred cows made by Sanctify. ;P