For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Key Binder

Well, I did play a few dozen turns on your game with CheatEngine open on the raiders accumulator, and it's definitely working properly after the fix (increments of 1-4 on Hard, spawn at 30). The next three raider stacks also spawned on other continents for me. I was going to look for the problem elsewhere the next time I get a chance to fire up the game, but I guess I'll put that on hold for now =P

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was just something that took me by surprise. I'd forgotten how intense raider assaults can be. And 3 large neutrals all at once funneling through that bottleneck sure made it look suspicious. But I played through it and took all 3 so it was just something different than I expected. Civ/MoO don't have this raider/monster feature so it really is something unique to MoM. I've played the others since they came out but was a latecomer to MoM (only around 2005ish IIRC) so it's sort of "new" to me.

Anyways glad to hear that I was wrong and that it seems to be working! I guess I learned (or relearned more likely) that first thing to do is always locate all neutrals on your island! (Or AI players, I can foresee that being really bad since they're convinced you're building up troops on "their" home continent! Guess such a start would mean war from 1401 no matter what!) Oh and thanks for checking into it anyways.
"I think most people posting on a MOO/MOM forum in 2020 BC probably count as Time Travelers." : )

Update

1.60 seems quite stable and I have found no new problems since last time.

I've abandoned most of the 1.52 games I'd started because I made the mistake of playing hard not normal. With all the improvements since 1.31 it actually is all I want to take on. Hard is now pretty frustrating and Normal gives one a great balanced game. As it was intended. Anyways my real and relevant point is that I'm now playing mostly 1.60 games and everything looks perfect.

Oh I did find a grammar error in one of the helps where it used effect instead of affect. I think it was either in Psionic Blast or Confusion.

Found another tiny thing. It seems that the key binding of A sometimes gets confused between deselect and Armies. TBH I have never used deselect. Of course it seems to have 2 entries (?) and the other is U for deselect, so I just got rid of A for deselect.
"I think most people posting on a MOO/MOM forum in 2020 BC probably count as Time Travelers." : )

(July 5th, 2022, 17:58)mxb2001 Wrote: Found another tiny thing. It seems that the key binding of A sometimes gets confused between deselect and Armies.

That's because Deselect 1 was supposed to be Q (it's what it is in the original)... Those interfaces are linked too, so you normally can't even have the same key bound to two different things without specifically enabling multi-bindings, at which point the possibility of the game sometimes getting confused is sort of expected. I'll fix this for the final version, thanks for spotting it!

Oh hahaha, a typo Q and A are adjacent of course. Thanks I'll set it to Q again from the blank I set it to, I didn't remember that it was Q. I did have multi bindings enabled until I turned it off thinking it was causing this. But only blanking it out helped.

Found something odd just now. It seems that the graphics for "sparkles" from a node are being scattered. I saw this once before  in some other game, but not as much as this. I do not know if they are just a display glitch or not.

Save and 2 screenshots showing a node just melded with that has this effect.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.gam   SAVE9.GAM (Size: 151.94 KB / Downloads: 1)

That is genuinely baffling. You wouldn't happen to have an earlier save by any chance, would you?

It's not a graphics glitch, the area of influence is actually scattered like that. On that one node out of the 30. I did make a mistake in the very first implementation where I saved the aura coordinates into the wrong arrays, but that was very obvious to spot, and I've never seen anything like this before or since. I'll try my best to figure out what happened. Specifically, it's the Y coordinates of the first 3 aura tiles that are off, and not by constant values either. I think it's more likely that this happened in wizards.exe as opposed to the map generator, but I can't really rule out either.

(July 20th, 2022, 18:25)drake178 Wrote: That is genuinely baffling. You wouldn't happen to have an earlier save by any chance, would you?

It's not a graphics glitch, the area of influence is actually scattered like that. On that one node out of the 30. I did make a mistake in the very first implementation where I saved the aura coordinates into the wrong arrays, but that was very obvious to spot, and I've never seen anything like this before or since. I'll try my best to figure out what happened. Specifically, it's the Y coordinates of the first 3 aura tiles that are off, and not by constant values either. I think it's more likely that this happened in wizards.exe as opposed to the map generator, but I can't really rule out either.

Sorry no I have only the current save as I play 8 games concurrently and so only have save 2 and 9 from this and both are the same. Let me know if anything else might help.

I've recompiled and re-uploaded all three versions. The updaters are not cumulative, so you'll need to remove the previous version first. Sorry about that! (This doesn't affect saves or settings, use a backup copy of WIZARDS.EXE if you've hex-edited the raiders fix.)

If there's no major bug reports for v1.60 in the next week or so, I'll try sending it to Slitherine for a final update before the remake comes out (after which they will possibly not do any for the DOS games). I couldn't find anything that would mess up the node auras, and I had one report of music slowdowns on a vintage PC that I didn't have time to look into. Everything else should be fixed (and by that I mean any bugs introduced by my own code =P).

Thank you for all the fixes and QOL you brought into the table, Drake! Is there any chance that these versions will come into Steam or GOG? Also, can this be combined with your universal MOM Patcher?