I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

New Master of Magic out today?

According to Steam the new Master of Magic is due from MuHa/Slitherine in an hour:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/16230..._of_Magic/

Anyone buying it? Anyone tried the beta version? I'm surprised there's not a thread on it here about it already.

I am not.

Yeah, I'm going to get it, I just need to get some work done before I do. I have a feeling I'll end up still liking the original better, but we'll see.

I'm playing it now, and as I suspected there is a lot I prefer about the original. Honestly I was hoping I would like this version so I could stop playing it on DOS Box. It is too similar to the original in bad ways and too different in bad ways. I commend their effort, but I think the UX is just bad and the game plays way too slowly. I don't mean in terms of processing, I mean just the flow of the game. There a re few nice things, like the queues, but in then they aren't great as you can't queue up a dependent building before the other is built. It's really too difficult to tell what's going on, to read the map to assess units at a glance, to move, etc., etc.

(December 14th, 2022, 11:28)rgp151 Wrote: I'm playing it now, and as I suspected there is a lot I prefer about the original. Honestly I was hoping I would like this version so I could stop playing it on DOS Box. It is too similar to the original in bad ways and too different in bad ways. I commend their effort, but I think the UX is just bad and the game plays way too slowly. I don't mean in terms of processing, I mean just the flow of the game. There a re few nice things, like the queues, but in then they aren't great as you can't queue up a dependent building before the other is built. It's really too difficult to tell what's going on, to read the map to assess units at a glance, to move, etc., etc.

Ah what a shame, I was hoping it would be a bit more streamlined. I was going to buy it myself yesterday, but I noticed the minimum spec was 16gb ram, which is very high for a low budget TBS game and too much for my laptop. I'll probably pick it up when I get a new computer as hopefully they would have fixed a lot of the issues.

What is it like playing with hexes? Are the battles much fun?

I find most 3D TBS games difficult to see what's going on, I had the same problem with Fallen Enchantress and Endless Legend. I find 2D so much clearer to see than 3D and wish they had chosen that route instead.

Maybe I'm just old-school, but I find the original better and more fun. The new is more tedious. Maybe part of it is a learning curve, but still, its so much easier to do everything at a glance in the original. The graphics are very nice, but it makes it difficult to really see what's going on, unlike the more icon based system of the original.

I'm playing Sorcery High Men on Hard, but it hasn't been any challenge really. I'll bump it up next time and see. I was able to take like 5 or 6 neutral towns with Magic Spirits and Nagas and quickly build from there, and as usual, Flying Paladins still rule all. But so much stuff requires more clicks and more work to se what you're doing ,etc.

(December 14th, 2022, 14:20)rgp151 Wrote: Maybe I'm just old-school, but I find the original better and more fun. The new is more tedious. Maybe part of it is a learning curve, but still, its so much easier to do everything at a glance in the original. The graphics are very nice, but it makes it difficult to really see what's going on, unlike the more icon based system of the original.

I'm playing Sorcery High Men on Hard, but it hasn't been any challenge really. I'll bump it up next time and see. I was able to take like 5 or 6 neutral towns with Magic Spirits and Nagas and quickly build from there, and as usual, Flying Paladins still rule all. But so much stuff requires more clicks and more work to se what you're doing ,etc.

I think most strategy games have a bit of a learning curve when you first start playing them. I came to MoM late (about 10 years ago) and I struggled with the UI and working out what was going on for ages, but it's second nature now.

I agree about the graphics though, I wish they'd gone for a look like the 2d mode in Civ 6:

[Image: DEthEen.jpeg]

By the way what is the music like? Does it use the original tunes?

The music is new, but I never play with music on anyway. I mean after a while it just gets too old. I'm still playing it. There are some things I like about it, but somehow it seems more formulaic and too easy. 've got everything on the highest levels and its still not really even close to a challenge. Like there is something wrong with the AI. I just took an enemy capital that had zero troops in it, even though the AI had stacks of 9 all over the place.

Also, the neutral lairs who you exactly what is in them, which is both good adn bad. Makes it much less of a gamble, but also a bit less exciting.

The only time I've needed to re-load is due to mis-clicks, whereas in a normal MoM game I re-load all the time. Of course not reloading is good, but in part its because its too easy and predictable.

I really hope they'll let Seravy fix the AI, it sounds broken.

Almost a year since launch.

The remake is so worth it now. They ironed up some of the most irritating UI parts, you get 1 free DLC + more free content from the Halloween update (you can even spring for 2 paid DLCs), and there are way more start up settings now eg you can control most strength and frequency of lairs, nodes, neutral towns even down to none.

Really great game now. AI is the last thing on the roadmap