For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Epic Forty: The Hittite Cosmonauts

Hi,

thanks to all of you for your kind words! But credit where credit is due: I think luck played a major part for me to lose the race only so close. The Ottomans were fighting the Mayans for a very, very long time - in fact I don't remember having seen such a long, continous AI-AI war before, so they had no real reason to attack me. Later, in the modern age, I was lucky again that they decided to attack Japan and not me. While I probably could have defended against them with enough artillery, one nuke and the game would have been over. I don't want to think about how long two fascist workers would have needed to clean up the pollution and re-work all the tiles. lol

By the way, is there a schedule for more Epics, or are we on hiatus until another patch comes out?

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

nt
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Hi,

great use of the settler blockade units! That gave you a nice land-grab. Also congrats on your successful philosophy-monarchy gambit; mine failed unfortunately. Too bad that your good play led to a (for you) boring late-game, though. It's amazing how easy emperor has become, isn't it? :blink:

I noticed you used the civfanatics folder to store your pictures. Since you're German, you could register at freenet.de instead - they have IIRC 50MB storage space with *no* bandwidtch limit, only a very stupid limit of 250 files. Registering is free!

-Kylearan

Hi,

Quote:C_A: An AI researching Lit fairly early is pretty strange, haven't seen that happen much in conquests.

Justus: Early lit was quite a suprise, I've usually seen it wait until into the Middle Ages in Conquest. It was also strange that at the other end, Espionage (which the AI usually gets fairly soon) was never researched.

I noticed that, too: I remember being very surprised when my curragh found Japan on the other continent and they already had literature! And later I was very surprised I was able to research espionage first. Especially the literature thing is very uncommon in C3C (don't know about espionage), so it looks like there were certain factors in this game leading to the AI's choice to research it - or maybe they got it from a hut?

-Kylearan

Hi,

good game and great write-up! I really like your enhanced picture, although they take a while to load on my slow dial-up connection.

Don't worry about screwing up with the variant rules - as you noted, it's more important to have fun than to win the tournament, and I think your game is still comparable to the other games.

-Kylearan

Hi,

good report as usual; too bad you lost. But reading about all the demands you have to cave to, and how fast your cities fell after the declaration of war, I strongly suspect you had too few military units... hopefully a lesson you learned for the next Epic. wink

Thanks for reporting!

-Kylearan

There's one in the works that still needs just a little bit of polish. I'm swapmed for a couple of days, but it should open soonish.

-Griselda

Can't wait.

Nice write up Dwip, but a tough loss. :axe:

Did you attempt to settle overseas, or were all the spots taken?

Somehow, even in defeat you make an entertaining report, at least I was smiling until the end. I know the Mayans were pretty demanding even when I did have a bigger military, we certainly started with a couple bullies for neighbors!