For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[spoiler] Q Returns to Quest Once More

No pictures, but no food resources yet - love it lol

We've found a nearby horse, though.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

I only noticed it after ending turn, but we've met Miguelito! eek

Replaying, we met them when we moved to this tile:
[Image: aCUUsWt.png]

Not sure exactly how that's possible, but Mig (who moved T1) seems to have moved closer to me. And unfortunately, close enough that the one half-decent spot I've found is contested.

I'm quite worried, both about a rush (he has at least one warrior, and moves faster through desert), and about having him next to me long-term. These distances are insane - I was worried about it earlier, and that seems to have been justified.

Hopefully the Hunter first plan is enough military early, to keep me alive till I can use my worldspell as insurance. And then I'm already wondering about wacky plans like settling up on him and trying to kill with Treeants.

I'm currently weighing up offering to share maps, or sign open borders. Sharing maps might just make him realise how close we are. Or it might just be useful scouting. Anyway, would happen next turn regardless (as I didn't notice until EOT).
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

Receipts for my post in the tech thread. It feels really shitty to do this, given the time you spent on the map Naufragar, and I know the tough position you're in, but this is really extremely cramped for FFH2. Taking any city-site towards either of them is immediately a provocation - and I feel almost forced to go for a Treeant rush.

The Illians capital is 9N, 3E of my capital. The Malakim capital (who admittedly moved) is 7N, 7W of mine - so 7 tiles as the crow flies. My natural second city location, the lower of the two signs, would capture a flood plains two tiles from his borders, and abut his third ring borders (the northern site would be a treeant rush location). Either of those on their own would be fine, but both, in EitB, seems a bit ridiculous.

[Image: tNbgAL9.png]

If it's just the case that we all spawned close together, and the rest of the map is open, then I'll eat crow and make the best of a bad situation. But if (as I suspect) this reflects the mapsize, then I honestly think that we just fucked up the settings for a decent game. Again, not your fault naufragar, you were clear about the mapsize and number of tiles, and I even identified it. But while 7-10 tile distances can work for BTS, it's slightly untenable for FFH2 - given the readier access to mobility, distances collapse quickly. And maybe others want to play that sort of game, but for me this just takes it from a game of empires to one dominated by civ-selection and rush opportunities.

I've already transition from a treeant rush as an idle possibility to something I'm seriously planning on, and I think I can (without disrupting my earlier plans) use it to eliminate one player by t30 - finish the settler as planned, settle aggressively on a player protected by my hunter somewhere capturing maximum tiles, and pop the worldspell 3t after its settled. I'll then have 5t to use my 10str units to kill a player. I think its pretty difficult to stop - they'd need the military to stop me settling in the first place, or capture it right after it's settled. I can't see any way for Mig to stop six treeants - I think only 3 could reach Bing's capital.

Which like, I can do - but it's not exactly what I was hoping for when I signed up to this, and it feels more than a bit shitty.

So yeah, I think we should honestly reconsider the map - and again, apologies naufragar, as this is a very very shitty thing for me to be saying.

Also, Bing could eliminate me in 4t with his scout. Maybe I should start a warrior? But I can 2t one if necessary, and it doesn't seem worth disrupting my growth for.

Edit: also, lol at Bing's second city location - juicy! Man, I wish I was better placed to murder him instead - but the terrain is just too unfavourable. I need to be quite scared of PoW's, though.

Testing, and Treeants get 88% against hunters with full fortification, hill bonus, and culture, and 96% against warriors. If we add promotions, we get 69% against hunters with +40% (from G1 or C2), and 73% against warriors with +70% (G1+CG1) - getting dicey, but should still have odds to take/raze the capital.

(March 6th, 2023, 00:51)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Receipts for my post in the tech thread. It feels really shitty to do this, given the time you spent on the map Naufragar, and I know the tough position you're in, but this is really extremely cramped for FFH2. Taking any city-site towards either of them is immediately a provocation - and I feel almost forced to go for a Treeant rush.

I don't take it personally. I did give the map dimensions and encourage people to roll a few of these maps to get a feel for distance. alright

The deserts and hills will make the distance a bit more difficult to navigate at least.
There is no way to peace. Peace is the way.

(March 6th, 2023, 18:11)naufragar Wrote:
(March 6th, 2023, 00:51)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Receipts for my post in the tech thread. It feels really shitty to do this, given the time you spent on the map Naufragar, and I know the tough position you're in, but this is really extremely cramped for FFH2. Taking any city-site towards either of them is immediately a provocation - and I feel almost forced to go for a Treeant rush.

I don't take it personally. I did give the map dimensions and encourage people to roll a few of these maps to get a feel for distance.  alright

The deserts and hills will make the distance a bit more difficult to navigate at least.

Yeah I know, you were very clear - and I even noted it earlier in the thread as a possibility. Just different once you see it playing out.

Anyway. I feel like this is the right approach. Both my neighbors have built warriors so maybe they're too paranoid for it to work, but I'll give it a go. If their defences look too strong I can always settle more conservatively and play a normal game.

Simming it out, and this is gross. A story in pictures:

[Image: XkRBbC5.png]
[Image: 1ltBafx.png][Image: uHg7uri.png]
[Image: OphQcLu.png]

To add some commentary:
  • FotL founded t22 (I think)
  • Settler founds t24. Borders instantly popped with Disciple [note: it's probably best to delay this 2t as the city will produce 3cpt with FotL+CRE - evaluate based on security situation at the time]; worldspell cast by hunter [to determine whether hunter is worthwhile - switching the hunting lodge and training warrior might actually be both safer and stronger, as when FotL hits we can just train Fawns anyway], and the march of death begins. We have 5t before the treeants die - we need to make these count.
  • With the road and the convenient forest, we have 6 treeants, 1 hunter that can hit on t28, and 10 treeants, 2 hunters on t29.
I can't see a situation where he can save his capital from that. The more dangerous scenario, tbh, is that he evacuates his capital and then attacks me after the treeants are dead. We need to plan around that, hence the immediate archery research. I also won't sit around with the other treeants, but will move deeper into his territory to try and do more damage.

I would love to capture his capital, but that will be something we can only evaluate on the day.

Note Mig is clearly taking us seriously. Unlike Bing, he didn't give open borders, and advanced with a warrior to scare off my scout.

The key things he could do to disrupt this plan are: settle towards me first, stopping the pinkdot. Chop the tree (which would force a much-dicier attack with only 6 treeants 2 hunters). Or rush me earlier.

I don't think he can build a force that can save his capital, not even if he races to his worldspell (which I think would require bulbing). As such, I think I should go warriors, so I can threaten him away from disrupting our pink-dot. I'm already behind unfortunately, as I've wasted turns on the hunting lodge - a brainfart by me.

(BTW, I don't think the workrate boost is affecting this plan. Or if it is, it's likely only to the tune of one hunter or 1 treeants. The core force is able to hit him without any supporting infrastructure.)

Switched to a warrior, as discussed. Only 34h (or two warriors worth...) 'wasted' on the hunting lodge, which is a bit unfortunate. I think it's the right move though, best not to dwell on the sunken cost. Hunters are much better with copper not affecting warriors, but with the high-risk plan we have, it's going to be important to have some military out. Especially as we're dead last right now!

Would have to anyway, in case Bing declared war:
[Image: c6MpGUZ.png]
Edit: we're in no danger, besides micro - if he did declare war, we can make a warrior in 1t.

In other news, there's very little border between Bing and Mig, which makes me more confident in my decision. Any conquests in that direction will have less threat from him.

Also, where are my lurker posts? Map complaints, promises of high risk blood, I thought that was the secret sauce for y'all! It gets lonely without a ded-lurker...

I don't know anything about FFH, but I am excited to see Elves Go Bonk. hammer
Past Games: PB51  -  PB55  -  PB56  -  PB58 (Tarkeel's game)  - PB59  -  PB60  -  PB64  -  PB66  -  PB68 (Miguelito's game)     Current Games: None (for now...)