For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

HTML/website help

I am currently writing my report for epic 8. I am attempting to write it in parts (like page 1, page 2 etc). I have a site and have uploaded most of the report. However I've gone to edit a few of the pages, to make sure the pictures upload and links are added to the next bit. I've done everything using frontpage, and used imageshack to host screenshots. I can get the pages to work, but I can't seem to edit them.

For example I want to change one page to add a link, I open up the existing frontpage file, add the link, and then upload the file. However when I view the file the edits have not registered. I have also deleted the file from the website, then uploaded the edited version as if it was a new file. Yet still the edits don't appear. I have also simply deleted the file from the webhost, but I can still visit it online from another computer huh

Obviously i can't give the full address due to spoilers, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

[EDIT: I added embedded images in the reply.]

I'll start from the beginning for a few things to check.

First you need to enable FrontPage Extensions on your web hosting site.
[Image: FrontPageExtOn.jpg]

Did you setup a web on your computer? In FrontPage, the first thing to do in creating a website is to create a web on your computer.
[Image: NewPage.jpg]

After saving your home page, the index.htm should be located in the web folder root. Your folders and files for your web site should be located within the web folder.

You seem to be publishing your files to the web site just fine. Myself I delete all my web site files and publish everything as new. Its overkill but I never experienced any problems with any files not updating. I guess I’ve been working with Microsoft products for too long and grew not to trust them. I take extra precautions to guarantee what I want to happen.

I manage my web site file using FrontPage Publish Web screen. I find the file manager on my web hosting site tedious to use.
[Image: PublishWeb.jpg]

In the right pane, click and drap a box over all the files and folders to select them and click the delete button. Your web site is gone! Warning: DO NOT perform this action in the left pane otherwise you can kiss your computer web files goodbye and it's undoable. Just a FYI. rolleye This delete action auto-selects all your files and folders to be published. Click the publish button and your done. I usually refresh my coffee or play with my cockatiels during the wait. wink When done, I visit my web site to check the updates.
[Image: ManageWeb.jpg]

Drugged_Unholy Wrote:I can get the pages to work, but I can't seem to edit them.

This one sentence caught my attention. You can't edit your web pages on your web hosting site. You need to make any changes to the web pages on your computer and publish again. It's a process of updating, publishing, checking, and doing all over if you find problems. Again the sentence caught my attention and I figured to add this advice. I could have misunderstood.

Hope this information helps.

Gusto Wrote:You need to make any changes to the web pages on your computer and publish again. I

Thats essentially what I am doing. I'm deleting the files from the webhost, then uploading the new versions of the files (i'm keeping file names the same so the links on the complete pages work).

You deleting the specific files you need to update or all your files regardless if the status is up-to-date or publish? I'm suggesting you delete all your files, and folders, on your web hosting site and publish everything regardless of status.

I ran in to a problem with index.htm. As you know, you need index.htm as your home page. I didn't know it. My home page was called civ4.htm. FrontPage automatically renamed it to index.htm when I publish. In subsequent publish, FrontPage created an index.html file where my updates were published. As you, I was going bonkers trying to figure out why my updates were not visible on the web; however FrontPage successfully publish the updates. I'm not sure what caused this problem. I resolved it by first renaming civ4.htm to index.htm and then completely deleting all my files and folders and publish everything. I didn't know about FrontPage little file renaming feature. It sounds like you may be having a similar problem as I did.

The only suggestion I can give is the problem may be associated with Navigation or Link Bars if you’re using these features. I unfortunately can't advice on these features.

Make sure you reload the pages in your web browser so that you're seeing new files and not cached ones.

I believe a good way of doing that easily is by pressing CTRL+F5