For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Anyone interested in PBEM?

I'm playing a play by email game (PBEM) with someone who just got civ4 and hasn't played any of the others ... he is a good friend and we are having lots of fun as a team of 2 playing other teams of 2. I am on an island all by myself just teching away while he is killing of Japan and now looking at Gandhi. I look over his moves, he looks over mine and we share comments and suggestions.

He tells me that he is learning A LOT!

That got me thinking ... this PBEM lark with teams of 2 is a really good way of micro-learning the game. It helps if two players of roughly equal ability play together (or if a very good player is willing to bore themself ...).

So, is anyone interested in this?
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

I would actually be interested in a Pitboss game, PBEM is too slow for me. If someone wants to set up a 6-8 player pitboss, maybe even 4v4 or something, Count me in. I would love to play a full-length multiplayer game, 1 session per week along with the usual 24 hour turns makes it pretty decent paced I would say.
My Civilization 4 Website: http://rb.llsc.us/

Ruff_Hi Wrote:So, is anyone interested in this?

Yes smile

It seems like a good way to get some exposure to multi-player. The downside is I'm about to be sans computer for a month. I'll PM you when I get it back to see if you are still interested?

@Qwack - I thought from reading the aborted RB vs. Deity AI thread that this was broken?

Darrell

Qwack Wrote:I would actually be interested in a Pitboss game, PBEM is too slow for me. If someone wants to set up a 6-8 player pitboss, maybe even 4v4 or something, Count me in. I would love to play a full-length multiplayer game, 1 session per week along with the usual 24 hour turns makes it pretty decent paced I would say.
What is the difference between pitboss and pbem? My friend and I (just the two of us in this PBEM and that is what I am suggesting here) played over 30 turns since Saturday! That isn't that slow!
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

Well with more than 2 players, each turn takes a huge amount of time in PBEM. I suppose only 2 players can work though. In pitboss, there is a turn timer like in MP, which is usually 24 hours per turn. If the human doesnt play within 24 hours, the AI automatically takes the turn for them, and the timer will reset once everyone has played thier turns.
My Civilization 4 Website: http://rb.llsc.us/

I'm interested... as usual lol

I would be interested in pitboss. Never played multiplayer before but I'd like to try it. Does anyone have experience in setting one up?

yeah, the pitboss idea was where I was leaning also

Would also be interested in either pitboss or PBEM but have never played MP before.