For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Patch status

Tavis posted this in the CFC testers' forum:

"The current status of the next C3C patch is On Hold. This decision was made about a week ago and was the result of several things:

1) Pirates needed the people
2) Fix attempts resulted in varying and disasterous results
3) Civ : Complete

I realize I made some heavy promises back in January, but I am not going to be able to delivery on them. I refuse to deliver another patch that launches like v21 (or worse) so at this point I can't make anymore promises. I have no idea when a patch will be made privately available or publically available."

Looks like 1.22 is all we've got for at least some time, and quite possibly permanently.

Typical case of an end-phase of a project. I've seen loads of projects deliver unfinished software and then move on. Sad news.

I suppose we will all still buy Civ 4 and live through its patches. Addiiction is not a pretty sight.

That's a wise dicision. I'd rather they don't mess up again. 1.22 is at least playable.

My first post here, seems this is a quiet forum. smile

Quote:My first post here, seems this is a quiet forum.

"It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for." eek

Besides, we get loud on occasion. B)

As far as the patch goes, I think we can cut them a little slack. Civ3 took a year before it reached a decent balance across the board, and it never did fix all the issues. We ended up adding rules to our tournament to paper over the remaining holes. By and large, the C3C problems aren't any worse.

I think somebody made decisions that raised expectations, and now they're a little snakebitten and shy about making more commitments.

After watching the way that many fans behave, with games like Diablo II, MOO3, GalCiv, and more, there can be no doubt that there is a large swath of folks out there who are not rational about games. We see pie in the sky sycophants and never-satisfied cynics, neither of whom are remotely interested in reality, but only in propping up and confirming their preconceived notions, who respond viciously to anybody who challenges them. How the heck did we come to this point? Most of us here have been around on various internet gaming scenes since before this phenomenon existed. And yet these two camps tend to be the most vocal, and end up chasing away a lot of the more reasonable people, one way or another. I don't imagine it's easy trying to deal with this phenomenon.

In addition to C3C, we could also continue with sponsoring PTW events, except we have already exhausted the range of what can be done with that game and the "vanilla" version. There hasn't seemed to be any interest in "going back", but only in exploring what's new in C3C. I'm not sure why they would be unable to deliver even the "bug fixes only" patch they had scaled back to, but at least they aren't still hyping us. That may be a positive sign.

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.