For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Epic Forty-two: Summer Breeze

I'm not sure we have enough interest to run more than one game at a time now. It seems like a lot of players are playing Civ in addition to several other games, and two open games might just dilute the player pool even further. I'm sorry that this one isn't your cup of tea, but perhaps you'll find a scenario down the road that is interesting.

-Griselda

Quote:Originally posted by Yom@Jun 29 2004, 06:10 PM
Can we intervene if our workers move next to barbarians?
Good point. Barbarians are sedentary, so you won't find many of them, but this also brings up the issue of finding workers in danger next to units of enemy civs.

Yes, you can manually take control of a worker to move it away from danger. The restriction on movement is to make you rely on the automation rather than trying to micromanage the workers anyway; the point of that rule isn't to make your workers get captured. smile

I guess the "any existing city" includes AI city as well? Oops, I guess I've founded such a city..should I abandon it?

I've been on Scenario Design Hiatus for quite a while now. Since the Mother of All Epics, Epic 36, in fact.

I've got some concepts in the war chest I do plan to pull out some day. Still sort of on hold pending patch news. There's still a lot of time (apparently) before Civ4, so I figure somewhere in there the C3C patch status will be finalized one way or another, and then the time will come.

In the mean time, Griselda, Charis, and T-hawk have done a fine job coming up with fun scenarios. This current one is quite creative -- enough that I may sneak in an Epic here. eek (Shh! Don't tell anybody! If I don't manage it, I don't want to have broken any promises!wink

Gris is probably right about how we're spread. The Imperia have taken up space once occupied by Epics alone. Some fresh new blood might help, but we seem to be losing veterans at the same rate we're picking up new folks here or there, so the net picture looks somewhat stagnant. I'm not sure that's accurate, but there you go. Maybe we should do some advertising? I don't know. Only ever picked up a couple of folks that way. Most people come in through the Succession Games doorway.

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.

Hi,

Quote:Maybe we should do some advertising? I don't know. Only ever picked up a couple of folks that way. Most people come in through the Succession Games doorway.

There's still my question what the sponsors think about my idea of Epic SGs. In case you missed it: I'd like to organize one ore more SG teams that play one of the next Epics, either in the civfanatics forum, trusting that no other player will read the thread before report day, or via email, sending the save to the next player and reporting/discussing in mails with all players in the CC field.

Not only would it be interesting to see how a team compares to single players, it might also serve to bring in more people from civfanatics, and provide the opportunity for others to play who know they lack the time to do so otherwise. We only have to watch out that the teams won't suck up players who would have played the Epic iindividually anyway.

But this would change the nature of this tournament in a major way, so I'd like to know what you/the sponsors think about that - I would understand if you'd be against the idea.

If this idea is worthwhile to try, then it would be nice if the next Epic could be announced a week or so before it actually opens, so that teams could be organized beforehand. Otherwise the teams might not have enough time to finish.

Quote:This current one is quite creative -- enough that I may sneak in an Epic here.

hammer

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Hi,

T-hawk as sponsor probably won't play, so I took the (for me unusual) role to play by the letter of the rules while still bending them... :P

Great game, although I don't understand the purpose of the 50%-lux-rule. It fits to the theme, but limits our strategical arsenal quite a bit.

-Kylearan

EDIT: P.S.: Oh, and if the civ-fairy ever comes my way and offers me a wish, I'd wish the next Epic to be a challenging one. I cannot even remember when the last Deity Epic had been! wink
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

The "any existing city" includes AI cities as well. (Otherwise you could go nuts with "passive-aggressive" style settling, which clearly isn't the nature of this game.)

But the rules also say "Again, don't worry if you slip on this once or twice, just don't abuse city overcrowding." B) B)

Quote:In the mean time, Griselda, Charis, and T-hawk have done a fine job coming up with fun scenarios. This current one is quite creative

Not so much creative, as just adding a dash of "Charis Variant Soup" to some very old ideas of mine... smile

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?for...geid=1023148117

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?for...geid=1037641450

Quote:There's still my question what the sponsors think about my idea of Epic SGs.

I think this one is up to Sirian. I know he's always highly concerned with the integrity of the competition; trusting players not to read a CFC thread might not be the best solution. A better mechanism might be a private forum here, which I'm sure Gris could set up easily enough. Files would probably be exchanged through email. If done in a private way like this, I'd be okay with an SG team playing an Epic that I was sponsoring.

Quote:T-hawk as sponsor probably won't play, so I took the (for me unusual) role to play by the letter of the rules while still bending them...

I'm playing a shadow as usual, although I haven't yet played beyond my initial playtest period. I'm not even sure how one would bend those rules, unless you just mean keeping a close eye on the workers to interrupt them with new more-specific orders frequently. That's certainly allowed, though I'd expect the advantage gained to be fairly minimal.

Quote:Oh, and if the civ-fairy ever comes my way and offers me a wish, I'd wish the next Epic to be a challenging one. I cannot even remember when the last Deity Epic had been!

Haven't had one yet in Conquests - the last one was Ditch Digger at the end of last year. That was only five games ago in fact, which is about our usual interval between Deity games.

Of course, the best way to get what you want in an Epic is to become the civ-fairy yourself and sponsor one... :P wink

Well, I might think about sponsoring a game again, then. I'm still a RBCiv newbie, but that is due to RL and the patching process. I would definitely play an Epic that would have the same cool set of restrictions as the best ones so far (always war, and the 5CC pillars which was a lot of fun to read (thanks Sirian, T-hawk, Sullla, etc...)). Or maybe a little potluck, so as to get more people ? And a sponsor could put a link with a nice ad in his CFC signature, that would drive a few folks here each time...

As for me, I'm ready to play some epical Epics ! I couldn't complete the Maya one (a very cool idea !wink due to RL, and then was less tempted by the variants that followed, but all in all it's a matter of taste. I tend to prefer simplified variants that have a real impact.

I've had a Deity scenario on ice for a while. I suppose we can't save them all for the "patch is final" stage. smoke I'll drop a dime to the Civ Fairy and request that she leave us something under the pillow.

... ...

... ... ...

Wow! The Civ Fairy has voicemail now? eek We'll have to wait for her to get back to us. Hopefully that won't take long. mischief

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.