I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Epic Forty-three: Ports Your Goal

Epic Forty-three: Ports Your Goal is now open. Since the save is ready, I decided to go ahead and open now so that players could start over the weekend if they like. This Epic will run through Labor Day in the US, but I don't think we'll need to extend the reporting deadline because of the holiday. If you are planning to be out of town and won't make it back by that Tuesday, please email me and I will be happy to post your report.

Ports Your Goal is the first Sirian-sponsored Epic in 2004, although it's been in the works for quite some time. I hope you enjoy it! smile

Edit- Oh, and since the Epic is open, I'd like to remind everyone to be careful about releasing spoiler information. If you have a question about the game, your best bet is to email myself or Sirian. If something comes up that requires clarification, we'll post it here.

-Griselda

Thanks for a new Epic, and especially for the extra-long playing time! I'm leaving next week for nearly 3 weeks for Annual Training with the National Guard, and was afraid the next Epic would be here and gone before I had a chance to play, or due in the Monday I got back or something so I'd be tempted, but still not able to complete it. This works out perfect, I can get a good start this weekend, then (hopefully) get to a point where I can mull over some strategic decisions while I'm gone, and still have enough time to complete the game when I get back. (oh yeah, and the report!wink B)

Quote:Ports Your Goal is the first Sirian-sponsored Epic in 2004

Really? eek Wow, I guess so. I'm such a slacker. lol

Anyway, I hope the wait turns out to be worth it. hammer

NOTE: The space race is the easy out. I hope some of you are up to choosing the less user-friendly options. mischief

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.

Hi,

just to clarify (no spoilers because I haven't taken a look at the save yet wink ):

"Obtain our own source of spices if we can grab one peacefully, even if we have to go inland to do it. (Special Exception on inland units, ONE expedition and one city allowed inland, if necessary, for securing our own spices."

The one (spice) city can *only* be founded peacefully, and not captured, correct?

And if we manage to own one such city, are we allowed to garrison it properly if it's more than four tiles away from the coast?

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Portugal is expansionist, so I guess (hope) there will be huts in the game. In case we get a village from a hut which is not on the coast, what should we do with it? Keep it, abandon it, abandon it by building a worker/settler, gift it away...?

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Thanks, Sirian. smile

Spicy and sweet and simple.
[url="http://profile.xfire.com/bedecfc"]
[/url]

This sounds like a really interesting variant, and i can't wait to get started. Two questions though.

~Must we research optional sea-related techs, or can we trade for them?
~If we can not declare war on our spice supplier, how is Conquest victory possible? :blink:

~Kodi

Yeah, that game looks like a pleasant journey on the sea. At last I'll get my 2nd Epic game completed, one whole year after the 1st one. smoke That's cool because Portugal is one of those of civs which are unappealing to me, and I doubt I'll ever play as them on my own. Like, I've never played as the Zulu in my 10-year Civ history !!! mischief Expect my report at the end of the holidays for sure !

Also, I was wondering if another game would start before the end of August, like last summer (2 games at the same time). It'd be nice to have a short one to play too, like a Potluck or an known variant on a small map... :P

Also, if we get a warrior out of a hut inland, should we disband it immediately? Or just move it home?

Some great questions, guys. I wish I had thought through every contingency in advance, but hey, the last Epic I sponsored was like nine months ago or something insane like that, so you've got to expect a wee bit of rust. mischief

OK, here we go:

QUESTION: Must we research optional sea-related techs, or can we trade for them?

ANSWER: If the AI already knows the tech, you can trade for them if you like. If you do not trade for the tech immediately, you must begin research on it. You can trade at any time or continue researching. What you cannot do is sit around sandbagging, waiting for the AIs to spread the tech around and the cost to drop. So one way or another, your business is to obtain these techs quickly, not sit around lollygagging.

QUESTION: The one (spice) city can *only* be founded peacefully, and not captured, correct?

ANSWER: Correct. If you can nab a spice by settling somewhere inland, you may do so. You are not to obtain spices via aggression unless there are no opponents left in the game except for spice owners.

QUESTION: If we manage to own (a spice) city, are we allowed to garrison it properly if it's more than four tiles away from the coast?

ANSWER: As much garrison as you like, but they must stay within your borders. You can move units back and forth from the spice city to your coastal holdings at any time, but no attacking along the way, and take direct routes, no wandering.

QUESTION: If we can not declare war on our spice supplier, how is Conquest victory possible?

ANSWER: Eliminate all civs except your spice trading partner first. If there are multiple civs who own spices, you only need one trading partner. (If you are buying spices from Civ A, and Civ B also owns some, you ARE allowed to fight with Civ B, raze their cities, then settle your own city on a spice source, at which point you can drop the spice purchase deal, assuming you can HOLD ON TO your new spice city!wink NOTE: if your spice trading partner declares war on you for any reason, this is NOT an excuse to go burn down his spice cities and replace them with your own. eek Seek peace and a renewal of your supply at the first chance. Or, if there is a second civ with spices available to purchase, you can "switch trading partners", in which case the first civ then becomes a legitimate target while the second civ is your new "protected trading partner."

QUESTION: If we get a warrior out of a hut inland, should we disband it immediately? Or just move it home?

ANSWER: Move it directly toward the coast. (Advance to the coast, do not pass Go, do not collect two hundred dollars. lol )

QUESTION: In case we get a village from a hut which is not on the coast, what should we do with it?

ANSWER: If you pop a settler, move it to a legal costal spot. If you pop a city on that spot, you may keep it, but you may not improve its tiles with irrigation, mining, or vegetation chops (roads and all other worker actions are OK), and you have to roll your eyes at your poor inland brethren who live there and generally treat them with long-suffering condescension. lol They are the black sheep of the family. :wub:

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.