I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Epic Forty-three: Ports Your Goal

Hi,

which version of civ3 are you running? Epic 43 needs patch 1.22 to run; maybe you're still running 1.15 (which, IIRC, Epic 42 ran under)?

Other than that, you might download the Epic again in case the file got corrupted.

Good luck!

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Quote:Originally posted by NickT@Aug 7 2004, 12:26 AM
This was going to be my first attempt at an Epic, but when I load the game, I get the following errors:

DataIO operation System Error: DATE
DataIO operation System Error: PLGI
DataIO operation System Error: CNSL

For test purposes, I downloaded Epic 42, and had no problems loading that game. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nick
Are Epic 42 and Epic 43 both the same version of conquests?

I have seen those type of errors with version mismatch.

Quote:Originally posted by LKendter+Aug 7 2004, 03:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LKendter @ Aug 7 2004, 03:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--NickT@Aug 7 2004, 12:26 AM
This was going to be my first attempt at an Epic, but when I load the game, I get the following errors:

Are Epic 42 and Epic 43 both the same version of conquests?

I have seen those type of errors with version mismatch.[/b][/quote]
According to the Epics pages, both 42 and 43 use Conquests v1.22.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Nick

I have managed to solve the problem, but I'm not quite sure what caused it. I had downloaded and installed the Conquests 1.22 patch several times (to make sure there wasn't an issue with the patch), but the opening screen indicated v1.20 (even though there never was a 1.20 patch). I managed to find out that the error in question was fixed in the original Civ III v1.29 patch (which I had not installed). I installed the v1.29 patch, then re-installed the Conquests v1.22 patch, and I can now load the Epic.

Sorry to ask a question that I managed to solve myself!

Nick

Never hesitate to ask for help if you need it. Good luck with Epic 43. smile

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.

Quote:Originally posted by Sirian@Aug 7 2004, 10:19 PM
Good luck with Epic 43. smile

- Sirian
Heh, you'll need it mischief

~Kodi

Thanx Sirian for the interesting new epics. I have a couple of questions that are general enough not to be spoilers I hope.

1. How is land area (for domination) calculated? I think I saw somewhere that coast squares also count.

2. I understand correctly that we are allowed to destroy (not to take!wink an inland enemy city with land units if it is within 4 squares of a coast? (As our land units can enter that square.)

3. This one is a bit scholastic... Can I attack an enemy stack that is 5 squares away from coast with my land unit that is 4 squares away from coast? Even if I win, I surely will not step there... Can I bombard into deep inland? The bombarding unit does not move after all...

4. I think I heard somewhere (and read it in the civilopedia) that now aircraft has "lethal bombardment". Does it mean they can actually kill a unit, not only redline it? Do I understand correctly that aircraft still cannot take cities? How do paratroopers work? I read you can "airdrop" them from a city with airport. So what? What is their range? Can I airdrop them into an enemy city? Or can I walk around with them also, like with any normal land unit?

Sorry for my ignorance, but this epic really forces one (me at least) into uncharted lands...

Bihary

Quote:1. How is land area (for domination) calculated? I think I saw somewhere that coast squares also count.

2. I understand correctly that we are allowed to destroy (not to take!wink an inland enemy city with land units if it is within 4 squares of a coast? (As our land units can enter that square.)

3. This one is a bit scholastic... Can I attack an enemy stack that is 5 squares away from coast with my land unit that is 4 squares away from coast? Even if I win, I surely will not step there... Can I bombard into deep inland? The bombarding unit does not move after all...

4. I think I heard somewhere (and read it in the civilopedia) that now aircraft has "lethal bombardment". Does it mean they can actually kill a unit, not only redline it? Do I understand correctly that aircraft still cannot take cities? How do paratroopers work? I read you can "airdrop" them from a city with airport. So what? What is their range? Can I airdrop them into an enemy city? Or can I walk around with them also, like with any normal land unit?

1) Coastal tiles do count. Sea tiles do not.

2) Yes.

3) No. Although your unit does not occupy the new tile after the attack, you are still "moving in to" it to launch the attack. So either defend or else pull back farther and attack when they move into legal range.

4a) Aircraft do have lethal bombardment. They cannot take cities.

4b) You cannot just walk around with paratroops. You need to airdrop them inland. Once airdropped, they can attack nearby tiles, and can airdrop again from tiles placed in neutral territory, but are not supposed to be walking around all over the place. (Unlimited airdrops, only very local foot movements).

4C) Of course small islands won't have any inland tiles, and medium ones may only have a few. You should still airdrop in, even if only dropping from one or two tiles away. hammer

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.

Hi,

Quote:4b) You cannot just walk around with paratroops. You need to airdrop them inland. Once airdropped, they can attack nearby tiles, and can airdrop again from tiles placed in neutral territory, but are not supposed to be walking around all over the place. (Unlimited airdrops, only very local foot movements).

That sounds different from the rule on the Epic 43 page:

Quote:No military unit may move inland by more than FOUR tiles. [...] Inland prohibition does not apply to scouts, explorers and workers, nor to air power and paratroops

The original rule sounded like you could move freely with paratroops, so let's hope your clarification won't put too many games into shadowland...

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Well I don't suppose it's critical either way. We don't want to harass anybody over minutiae. But where is the logic in having paratroops walking all around while no one else can? The idea behind allowing them to move inland is that they wouldn't have to navigate on the ground. Get in, get out, quickly, and get back to shore where the good life exists. lol

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.