I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Epic Forty-three: Ports Your Goal

Well, I may be missing something here. I understand now that, according to the civ rule, paratroops CAN walk around just like any other land unit, but they can also airdrop (whatever this exactly means, I never tried, looking forward to it), for fun. Is that correct? I appreciate that within the spirit of the scenario, paratroops should only execute "airdrop manoveours", and not wander around far from the beloved seas. But let us assume there ARE cities that are so much inland that not even airdropped paratroops can get close to them. How can I achieve conquest victory in this case at all?
Should I then just strike inland with my seasoned paratroops, walking the extra miles, or there is a riddle here I should have fun solving? If the latter is the case, please ignore my questions, I should figure it out myself.

Thanx,

Bihary

Quote: But let us assume there ARE cities that are so much inland that not even airdropped paratroops can get close to them.

That's quite the assumption. eek

Airfields can be built by workers in neutral land. In your wild hypothetical, even if there was some kind of massive circular continent with a few tiles at its center out of reach of one airdrop from any direction, you could simply build an inland airfield and airdrop a second time from there.

Also remember, there's a shore on the OTHER side of each island. So the amount of "inland" area is quite likely significantly less than it may seem, especially if you haven't explored the whole map yet. mischief

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.

Now I understand. In principle I can work my way through with airfields.
Thanx.

Hello. I am having trouble downloading the epic. Basically, when i download the zip, there is nothing in it :mellow:
Nothing to extract from the zip, nothing in it when downloaded. I have tried about 5 times, with no difference each time.

Don't worry abotu it, I had the exact same problem until Kylearan helped me. Try downloading WinZip or WinRaR, and extract the files from there. If you're still having difficulty, Kylearan explains it better mischief

WinRaR
WinZip

~Kodi

No, it isn't that. I have downloaded and extracted plenty of SG saves from CFC. I have had no problems extracting saves before this, or extracting anything for that matter. There just isn't anything in there to extract.

Well, if others can download the file, then the file is in there. Maybe the problem with the windows extraction software doesn't show up for every game's file?

-Griselda

Hi,

Quote: No, it isn't that. I have downloaded and extracted plenty of SG saves from CFC. I have had no problems extracting saves before this,

Windows' built-in unzip is buggy. It works for most .zip-files, but not for all, and if it fails to work, then exactly the symptoms you describe will be experienced. So if you haven't had problems downloading other saves/SGs, then that doesn't mean the unzip utility isn't the problem.

If you are using the Windows unzipper, you really should try WinRAR or WinZIP instead (see links in Kodi's post).

If this doesn't help, report back - I could mail you the unzipped save then, if you want.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

OK, i have just had trouble with downloading a zip from RBC15d, Austria, so i can assume it is a problem with the windows built-in unzip. I have downloaded WinRAR, and now i have succesfully downloaded and unzipped the save wink

Thanks for your help and replies Griselda, Kylearan and Kodi.

I have a question regarding the rules. When you say no tile may be inland more than 4 tiles, do we count the tile the unit is on or not?

For example: X-1-2-3-C, with X being the unit's square and C being a costal square would mean that it's either barely legal or barely not. Would a unit in this situation be too far inland?