I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Master of Orion 1 unofficial patch

Unfortunately the shadow fleet bug happened again with me

Fresh MOO install + patch larval A + new game

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9621/sh...gagain.png

I cannot reproduce it reliably, it happens in the same fashion as before... I hope Ignatius can confirm it.

@Ingos
@kyrub

Yes, I can confirm your observations. The shadow fleet bug happened indeed again with larval_a, also the game did crash again. Neither bug is reproducible - I got both by loading save1.gam from my previous post and hitting next turn a couple of times.

Besides the shadow fleets, I also occasionally encountered truncated strings (e.g. weapon names) which hints that also zeros (which wouldn't show up as shadow fleet) get written around at various places in the data segment. Another hint are unsystematic crashes triggered when trying to open screens (like star map or planets).

All this seems to be independent of the fix you put in before the call of 0x1e55:0xdd (which seems to be an RNG) - I NOPed out the call and alternatively loaded ax with 0x04 or 0x01 (the former should never, the latter should always trigger the security sweep if I understand the code correctly) to no avail.

Thanks for reports, i + i,

will look at it again. I did not get any problems with your savegame after the fix, ignatius, so I thought it would be ok (btw, you read quite well, blimey).

Hey Kyrub! I tracked down this site and your patch and gave it a go. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing the same problems as others. I had the "shadow fleet" thing happen a few times (example: a stack of colony ships I never made encountered a scout on the other side of the map) and a lock-up after pressing Next Turn.

Where are those saves kept? I couldn't even find them again to load the game myself, and using "continue" from the title screen just started the game over.

Saves belong to Moo directory.

If you want to use the saves, you have to, I guess, first save something into those spots from a clean install. Then you overwrite the save by the ignatius or ingos one. -> Then the game lets you reload.

( lostminstrel, you, of all people ! )
( Welcome to Realms beyond Orion, a very special site for old game lovers! Had this place had a Master of Magic section, I'd never be gone to that one. )

just wanted to ask about the progress of the (unofficial) patch? shadow fleets and other nasty bugs of the patch wink

kyrub, I suppose you use IDA Pro 5.5+ to map required functions, don't you?
________
hotels in mexico

Please if possible distribute the stable version (Embryonic) in the same way as the Development version (Larval), a zip containing the patched files

Because somehow the Embryo_18.exe is not working for me huh (Fresh MOO Install)

Also in one occasion I've had the same game freeze that SDragon described with the latest patch, similar to shadow fleets bug and others, they may be related.

Sorry for the delays.
I only recently realized (doing something else) I was using one trick in my fixes, that is instable and may cause data corruption. I must scan all the new code to see the extent of damage. Programming inexperience...

Quote:Also in one occasion I've had the same game freeze that SDragon described with the latest patch

You mean you got the crash with embryonic ?!
That is a 1,000 € information, ingos.
(errrm, we just ran out of money, you know)

Will asking for a crash savegame get me something?

NONONONONONO the crash was with larval, I cannot test embryonic because it's not even running here (that’s why I asked for a zip like the larval).

(EDIT) Never mind I got embryonic working, it took me a while to figure out that Embryo_18 was actually a patched Starmap.exe, please include this information on the first topic (it is on the 4th page but still It’s a little “hidden”wink.

kyrub Wrote:Sorry for the delays.
I only recently realized (doing something else) I was using one trick in my fixes, that is instable and may cause data corruption. I must scan all the new code to see the extent of damage. Programming inexperience...

Hello to all fellow Moo enthusiasts! I just blew the dust out from my old MOO and found your amazing works here. I just thought to ask what is the current situation with the shadow fleets problem and the thing mentioned above? I have not yet tried the stable patch but the Larval version seems very promising. Hope to see it in stable version also smile