Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Master of Orion 1 unofficial patch

@ignatius
- Uploaded.
- Will reconsider a re-implementation of the progressive save for testing purposes.

ignatius Wrote:there are only the two values of 15 and 25 and the change only takes place on hard, which would imply that the hard Amoeba would be easier than the medium.

The values are 15 and 30 (1Eh). Amoeba (crystal?) data can be found at 0x1588F. Seems like autorepair. My problem is I never encountered any monster so I don't know if any of them regenerates.

@Daemon
What is your problem?

@Ingos (and everybody testing!)
Next time you see something weird go immediately into your directory and retrieve save9.gam. Do not push Next_turn. Do not quit before. The save conserves the state from previous turn, so that I can recreate the bug.

I'll have a look at it.

@Ignatius

I never had any problems with lag too, but since you mentioned performance and I am paranoid about performance on Dosbox, maybe you would be interested in the Dosbox Daily Builds, wich may include fixes/enhancements/tweaks/etc not included in the official stable release, when I first tried a daily build I noticed it faster than the official stable release, and on Linux compiling Dosbox would reap even more performance benefits. I remember it was very easy to compile it on Debian / Ubuntu.

@Kyrub

I Will do it, thanks for the advice.

Also there is a way for you to change de version number on the start screen? Like from 1.3 to 1.4Beta or 1.4B or 1.4L (Larva), that may be what Daemon was referring to (To be sure the patch is installed and running correctly).

I don't have any problem, i just can't figure out if the patching worked, because even tho the updater said the files were patched, i still have the "Zygot__" bug, so i was wondering whether there's any visual indication of the chages (new patch) having taken effect. Sorry for bothering ya.

Thanks, that is actually quite important remark.

"version 1.3" is a part of an image, so I cannot change it at will. I will certainly find a way to get rid of it and write there my own version number.

Daemon, if you want to check the patch, go to the MAP screen. If there is a big year number above the map legend, you're patched.

2 Things, one good one bad

The good: the bug happened again

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5396/samebug.png

The moment I saw it, I alt-tabbed and copied the SAVE10.GAM file to another folder and came here (I didn’t do the battle and I copied the file on the battle screen while DosBox was on)

The bad: to reproduce it is possible but it seems to happen at random

How I am reproducing it now: load game > endturn / load game > enturn / load game > endturn until it happens again…

It happens in about 1 out of 15 tries, in one occasion the game locked on the turn phase, in other it happened this "numbers" bug, on other my ships got transported instantly to a random planet, on other it happened with Psilon ships (same number), otherwise it runs normal getting either a tech discovery or a spy success or even an random event or nothing at all

I hope you can reproduce it.

Oh yeah, i'm patched smile. bow

kyrub Wrote:@ignatius
- Uploaded.
- Will reconsider a re-implementation of the progressive save for testing purposes.

Great! Thank you very much. I did a few test with my old save-files:

First, I can confirm Ingo's fleet bug (3 consecutive saves included). Fleets seem to pop out of nowhere during the interturn (but IIRC never more than 1 per year). Those fleets always consist of a single stack, the size of which is either a low multiple of 256 (I have seen 0x0700 to 0x0900 ships) or a low number (I have seen 8 ), which hints to a stray single byte written in an empty table of 16-bit values.

The ships are valid commissioned designs. They can be hostile but they can also be owned by yourself in which case you get to attack with them. The stacks stay in play, have an entry in the fleet table and you get to pay upkeep for them. If retreating, hostile stacks return home even if the next home planet is out of reach.

The bug is not reproducible but with my save-files happens about half of the turns (i.e. much more often than Ingo's 1 in 15) and in one case it seemed to have crashed the game.

Second, I can partially confirm the ECO slider-issue with the Silicoids: After having researched terra +40, the slider stayed on ECO for good even after the terraforming completed. I'm unsure with the soil enrichment, though - you do get the popup asking for an allocation, but the soil enrichment doesn't take place and again the slider stays on ECO (might be related to the above glitch as I let the slider stay on 50% eco when terra +40 got stolen).

Apropos soil enrichment: With the Darloks, terra +30 and adv. soil enrichment, I got to boost Orion from 120 to 215 max (instead of 210) as can be seen from the save3.gam file.

Finally, with the Guardian:

kyrub Wrote:The values are 15 and 30 (1Eh). Amoeba (crystal?) data can be found at 0x1588F. Seems like autorepair. My problem is I never encountered any monster so I don't know if any of them regenerates.

Ooops, misread the number. And yes, you're right - it IS autorepair. The device entry itself is obviously just for displaying in the scan display but has no effect on itself. This means that anything form 0% to 100% regenerating Guradians should be possible. As it stands it is 15% on hard and zero on all other levels.

ignatius

Fixed (hopefully) the shadow fleet problem. See first page of the thread.
The patch should be stable now.

Also: I am now posting only the zipped files version, for simplicity.

Hi kyrub,

I'm using the latest larva patch and so far playing two games with Human, Hard, Large - I've had a game freeze and an exception crash back to DOS. I only get to about Planetary Shield V or thereabouts so it occurs pretty early in the game.

Thought you might want to know. If no one else has seen this, I'll try and fresh install and another clean replacement to make sure it's not just me.

SDragon

kyrub Wrote:Next time you see something weird go immediately into your directory and retrieve save10.gam. Do not push Next_turn. Do not quit before. The save conserves the state from previous turn, so that I can recreate the bug...

...otherwise I am helpless. After a crash as well, retrieve save immediately, copy, post here. - Thanks!

By the way, do you run larval-a version (see first page)?