Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Welcome!

WhiteMage Wrote:Welcome,
We already have hundreds of designs. Many were posted on the internet. Yet, we still have 0 (ZERO) implementations. What we need now is PROGRAMMERS, who appear to be in great shortage over the past 19 years. Do you have any programmers at your disposal? If so, I may be interested in taking a look or joining efforts. The alternative, of course, would be a major pile of money, which would allow hiring programmers.

Hear, Hear. Fundamentally MOM has a lot of fans who are PLAYERS not PROGRAMMERS. So those who are really keen on a remake tend to focus on what they SEE i.e. artwork. But what is needed is what they USE i.e. the game engine.

The player-based remakes I have seen all focus on improving the artwork e.g. high-resolution graphics, nicer interface presentation etc. This is totally wrong because with all due respect to artists, the artwork is easily replaced or upgraded. What needs work is the game engine.

An engineer-based remake would code the underlying game engine first. For visual representation it would probably use something very crude, perhaps even text mode since MOM is tile-based. Or the old MOM graphics. A well-written game engine would be graphics-independent, the drawing subroutines would just call the functions, which would in turn link to the display drivers that actually put pixels on the screen. The display drivers are where the resolution-specific stuff happens.

Only after the game engine is tested to work properly i.e. it is playable, AI is not moronic, and known bugs are being fixed, should the graphics issue be addressed.

Am new here, and I stumbled upon this community looking online for any active community for MoM. I hope and look forward to good things this site seems to offer.

So this is where all the peeps from Dragonsword ended up. I am amazed by what folks have done -- the Real Time Game Tweaker blows my mind! It even has build queues! Holy crap!

Glad to see you again. I am off to make 1,000,000 High Elves -- seeing as I have build queues!

-- lemom

Welcome new members! wink

lemom Wrote:So this is where all the peeps from Dragonsword ended up. I am amazed by what folks have done -- the Real Time Game Tweaker blows my mind! It even has build queues! Holy crap!

Glad to see you again. I am off to make 1,000,000 High Elves -- seeing as I have build queues!

-- lemom

I'm afraid I have some bad news to impart.
Yes, those build queues will help you build 1,000,000 High Elves. smile
But I found that MoM can't handle more than 1,000 live units nor more than 100 cities. frown
--I like ILSe

Pfft... I have ended games with about 750,000 high elves and 40 cities. In theory you could hit 1,000,000 with just 40 cities if they all had max population. Waiting for them to hit max population is the tedious part.

Hello to all.

Ah, yes- MoM. One of my favorite games ever- and still in moderate rotation on my computer, even after all this time. I'm gratified to see a new community spring up to support this classic game (holes notwithstanding).

I first saw a game of MoM while visiting my brother and his family during a holiday (Thanksgiving, I think) in 1994. I remember being enthralled with the idea of a strategy game in a fantasy setting (up to that point, all of my favorite fantasy computer games were RPGs).

While I never did see my brother finish that game (though I'm assuming he did), I would eventually find the CD version of the game myself at a department store in 1997- and while my degree of interest has fluctuated over the years, the game has retained a place on my hard drive ever since.

I should state now that I don't seem to be quite as hard-core a gamer as many of the gamers here seem to be. Indeed, while I have finished MoM games using both Hard and Impossible settings, I tend to use the Average setting most frequently (and I'm not above using Easy once in a while). Also, while I do recall saving documents for modding the game at one point, I'm just now looking into that possibility myself, albeit on a very small scale. (I just found the instructions that provide the location in the save game file where the hero picks are determined. I now have my hex editor primed and ready, just in case...)

With that said, I am gratified at the many offerings for MoM here. I've already found, downloaded and started a game using the Insecticide patch. I also find myself interested in examining Aureus' MoM 2.0 at some point.

Regards,
GLWizard

Hi all. I came to this forum after I read a post by Catwalk about the Realms Beyond Forums on the "How to play Master of Magic on Windows Vista and Windows XP using DOSBox." I downloaded DOSBox a couple of months ago after I learned you can play older games with it, and I sure am glad that I did, because I still had this nifty old game disc called "Master of Magic" and I missed playing it so much that I had to get my fix after several years (roughly 10-12) of not being able to play it. Technological changes with PCs can really suck sometimes! I was curious about finding a way to play all those old games that I have that were just gaterhing dust BDB (Before DOSBox). I am glad that my curiosity led me here. smile

Also, I am an avid Civilization and Master of Orion fan, so you may see me in those forums too.

Any new people to welcome?
--I like ILSe

Guess you could call me a new member, while i've been around some time on this forum, i was not very active until recently.

Master of Magic was 1 of my favorite games when it was new, and still is.
I like the battle system, and the freedom you have in the game.

Welcome to RB, LoneVVolf! smile
--I like ILSe