I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Welcome!

Hello everybody. I found out about MOM recently when looking for a new 4X to play and have been enthralled ever since. It's astonishing how good this ancient game is.

Welcome to the forum Beastmaster!
We have some great resources here.
I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
--I like ILSe

Hello everyone! New to the forum, and new to MoM as well. I found it on GoG and checked out the wiki. I liked what I saw, so I bought it about a week ago. It's a lot of fun, but it could be so much better without the 'time limit' IMO.

What I mean is that the game ends after all enemy wizards are defeated. Even if I keep to myself and put off casting the spell of mastery for as long as possible, someone else will eventually start casting it and I have to race them. Either I defeat everyone in battle and I win and the game ends, or I banish everyone to limbo and I win and the game ends. It's not like, say, Civilization III where I can conquer the world and then keep playing.

Am I missing something? Is there a way (in-game or with a mod) I can keep playing after winning? I want to keep expanding and building stuff!
!Fight
!Red
!Sword
!Item

Hi Akamadoushi! Welcome to RB!

Well... you could use the tweaker (see elsewhere in this forum) to remove your opponent's ability to research or cast the spell of mastery...
--I like ILSe

(October 4th, 2014, 04:34)I like Serena Wrote: Hi Akamadoushi! Welcome to RB!

Thank you!

(October 4th, 2014, 04:34)I like Serena Wrote: Well... you could use the tweaker (see elsewhere in this forum) to remove your opponent's ability to research or cast the spell of mastery...

That sounds perfect! I did see the tweaker, but I didn't know it could remove the spell of mastery from play. I just downloaded it, thanks for the recommendation!
!Fight
!Red
!Sword
!Item

Hello everybody.

How excellent is this game. I played it in the past when computers were only on win3.1 and I remember it was hard with the memory to play it by using a boot-disk on Dos.
I tried to replay, there is a few moment, and I was enjoy when I saw it was possible to install easily and play on ubuntu (only windows version with Wine, but it works well). It is maybe ancient with simple graphics but all the rules, details and so on, do a rich and strategic game, with good ideas.

My goal, now, is to change some things in the game (animist's guild for the halfings, less power for the darkelfs, change rewards on nodes, ruins etc). I've seen a little in the mod's section, I'm not expert but I try to understand.

Well, I stop writing now... Bye

(perhaps there are some mistake on what I have written, sorry if there are -my nationality is french-)

Hi Bataff, and welcome to RB! smile

As far as I can tell, this particular game has never had a proper successor.
It is still one of a kind, which is why I still busy myself with a game that is already so old.

As for animist's guild for halflings, you may want to know that halfling's have an implicit animist's guild.
That is why they have so much food.

See you around!
--I like ILSe

Thanks for your welcome I like Serena !

Quote:As for animist's guild for halflings, you may want to know that halfling's have an implicit animist's guild.
That is why they have so much food.
Yes, of course, but it is an advantage for them only in the begining of the party. When the others factions build their animist's guild, this special advantage will be not an advantage. So, it will less interesting to play with this faction if, for example, we want to play a combo halfings/another faction (halfings's farmers supporting food for the units of the another faction). But, maybe I'm in wrong and it will be so much... it remains to be seen.

Edit : Erf, I haven't well understood... I added this building in wizards.exe and tested, the farmers give always 3 foods instead of 4. So, they have still well an 'implicit animist's guild'... ok I understand now.

Hail fellow Wizards!

Your Fame Points are high enough, you have hired Zaldron the Sage! I'm too a veteran player of MoM, it was love at first sight, since when I was 16. Best fantasy strategy game ever, truly a masterpiece even after being banished thousands of times and losing one girlfriend because I spent more time flirting (diplomatically) with Freya. Modern games have not the same depth, there are a few notable exceptions such as the Dominions serie but I have never enjoyed its tactical combats where you can only give orders to your armies before the battle. I'll be delight in sharing my knowledge with the MoM community and half of my Spellcasting Skill to increase the Research Points of your Magic Fortress! You have done such a great work already, you deserve the highest praise.

I'm writing a mod called MESC (Make Every Spell Count). I summarized all your suggestions regarding MoM spells available in the forum, trying to balance all spells only altering their cost, upkeep, spell save and sometimes rarity since it is the easiest way to do so and at the same time it doesn't alter the spirit of the game. The collected wisdom of all you Wizards is suggesting of debuffing mainly Life Magic (and a bit Sorcery Magic) in favour of Death Magic and Nature Magic.

I hope you'll enjoy the new mod, improving your game experience. One of the greatest Game Designer once told that the secret of a good 4X game is very simple: it should be a sequence of interesting choices. As you know, actually less than 50 spells on 214 are really useful to research and cast. Many are too overpowered or underpowered. So, I'll try to make every spell if not interesting, at least useful (beside very rare spells that arrives too late and are more the cherry on the cake). I'd like the Spell selection to be a moment of reflection when difficult, long-lasting choices are made even for experienced players, not the almost immediate selection of the best spell it is at present. You already posted a lot of very interesting ideas and comments regarding the Magic system, and I hope you'll help me with your ancient Sorcerer's wisdom.

See you in the Mods section!

Greetings! My name is Dittman and I'm an evil sewer rat trying to take over the world and in my spare time I play music and video games. I've also been familiar with Master of Magic since I was kid and watched my dad play it and then I started playing as soon as I was old enough to figure it out.

Anyway, I wanted to ask some questions but for some reason I'm unable to create a new thread, so I suppose I'll start here. I just downloaded MoM from myabandonware.com and started playing today, but I've noticed a couple things in the game that are different from how I remember, and a couple of them are bad:

-my turns end automatically when I finish moving my armies. This is really annoying to me because I often like to check my cities and armies at the end of turns but now my turn often ends without me being ready for it.
-when I finish researching a spell, I don't see the cutscene that used to go along with it (http://www.myabandonware.com/media/scree...gic_25.png) This isn't really a problem but I miss it for nostalgic reasons.
-I don't get notifications at the beginning of my turn when a city grows in population or an outpost has turned to a hamlet.
-Sometimes I think I save the game but when I go to load it it isn't there. Which is kinda bad when it means I lose 10 or 20 turns because of it.

Those are the main differences I can think of right now. I don't know if I have an earlier version of the game or what, but it's frustrating to play with these problems. Another thing is I know there are a lot of different patches and/or mods for the game and I have no idea where to start with those, but I'd like to find out more.

-Dittman