I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Welcome!

Is this one of those forums where you have to reply to threads before you can post any of your own?

(August 16th, 2016, 09:15)rgp151 Wrote: Is this one of those forums where you have to reply to threads before you can post any of your own?

As far as I remember you have to post in this thread to do anything and that's all.

Is that documented anywhere? I've never heard of this concept before. Why are we preventing people from posting? It's not like we have a problem with too many posts. How do we turn this off?

Evaluating hero abilities is tough and requires a TON of time spent playing the game. Even so, experienced players will disagree on what is most important due to their different play styles. bang

For example, I don't even take my healers into battle. Priests and Shamans are far more valuable outside battle to heal units at 25% per turn. This is far faster than healing in cities, or worse, healing in the field. It's sloooow and if one of your multi-hp per figure units is hurt, it can take a LONG time to heal. With a healer, 3-4 turns max and back up to full health. This goes for heroes with dozens of hit points too. If you put healers into battle, the computer prioritizes their destruction and they never survive. Then you're stuck in enemy territory, far from any friendly city, with a damaged stack that will need 20-30 turns to heal. And all the while you're vulnerable to being attacked by roving CP stacks seeking to finish you off.

Healers can be a good garrison unit but as an offensive unit they fail. Just one of the many variables that influence player evaluation of abilities. If you want to scratch that "numbers" itch with Master of Magic, I suggest downloading the Real-Time Tweaker and giving it a spin. There are a lot of improvements crying out to be made by someone with C/C++/Java experience. cry bow

I consider arcane power the key ability. With it a hero can take out sky drakes!
--I like ILSe

Hi!

I loved MoM when it first came out; i have memories of trying desperately to beat sky drakes with steam cannons, and no real memories of any of the balance. I also somehow learned that treasure in nodes/lairs was based on the monsters when you attacked it NOT when it was generated. So you couldn't attack it multiple times and weaken the monsters, because you'd get less treasure. (I feel like this was a very early patch, as based on readings on this forum, this is no longer true/has not been true for a long time.)

Only my uncle had it, and when we visited I wanted to play as much as possible. But of course, I had to do 'family things' and 'visiting things' and.. other people might want to use his computer. Like him. For work. Or other important things.

So, I would get up early in the morning to play. And, because I wouldn't want to wake anyone else up, I wouldn't turn any lights on; and I would try to keep everything as quiet as possible, and even avoid bright screens (like the computer screen itself before it got into the game, since it was pretty bright).

So I never knew what time it was.

Turned out, I was getting up at about 1:30am, and then playing as much as 7 hours before anyone else woke up - and then I couldn't figure out why I was tired the rest of the visit.

This game is life.

And now, here's a community making it live again!

Hey old men!

I was a 90s mac kid; so my childhood was Cosmic Osmo, Myst, Escape Velocity, Deadlock, Europa 1400 The Guild, Total Annihilation, and so on. I completely missed MicroProse; to me DOS was a distant, otherly world. Fast forward to a week or so ago -- I stumble upon, for the first time, Master of Magic on GOG. Woah.

I excitedly searched YouTube for a Let's Play and watched Quill18's series. I fell in love. Then I found RealmsBeyond. An active community?! Then I found Hadriex's Let's Play of Seravy's Caster of Magic. A quality, active development mod?! Downloaded, installed.

Surely, I reasoned, there's a modern sequel, or a spiritual successor. I bet you've all been there (perhaps monthly for some of you). I searched around. Planar Conquest, Fallen Enchantress, Sorcerer King. Each quickly turned me off, for different reasons. There’s just something glowing about MoM. It has taste. It has complexity in the right areas, but more impressively, masterful simplicity everywhere else. It’s artful. It’s spirited. And you can't use the nostalgia excuse for me; I just discovered the game a week ago! I quickly retreated back to Caster of Magic.

I'm an utter noob, fumbling around on Easy, just trying stuff out, having a blast. Thanks to those of you behind this site. Thanks to Seravy for all the hard, clever work on CoM. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Art

Hi everybody.
first of all sorry 4 my poor enchlish.
then, thank u so much for you support (just dwnloaded patch 1.41n)

i'm Sky (not the network), i'm 34 from Italy. i grow up with Civ1, Civ2, SC2K, MagicTheGathering, D&D and so many old games. actually i play sometimes all of them.

last week (last week guys!!) i was looking for some old strategic games inside Best Old Games, i dwloaded some of them, and one of them was MoM.
how could i miss MoM when i was 12 years old ???

in a week i'm a fun...
lot of stuff to learn, so be prepared for my boring & annoysing question...

...Sky

(January 10th, 2017, 13:55)Sky Wrote: Hi everybody.
first of all sorry 4 my poor enchlish.
then, thank u so much for you support (just dwnloaded patch 1.41n)

i'm Sky (not the network), i'm 34 from Italy. i grow up with Civ1, Civ2, SC2K, MagicTheGathering, D&D and so many old games. actually i play sometimes all of them.

last week (last week guys!!) i was looking for some old strategic games inside Best Old Games, i dwloaded some of them, and one of them was MoM.
how could i miss MoM when i was 12 years old ???

in a week i'm a fun...
lot of stuff to learn, so be prepared for my boring & annoysing question...

...Sky

Hey Sky! Welcome to RB! smile

Indeed! How could you have missed MoM?!
For the record, if you like MoM, you may also be interested in MoO1 and MoO2.
--I like ILSe

hello, fellow italian!

i'm niccolò, i've been aroudn for a little while.

loved MoM when i was young but never got a chance to play it a lot. went beck to it at regular intervals throgh my live, had fun beating the game in various ways and experimenting.

i basically just discovered CoM, and fell in love with it: it has got all the good things of mom, but it's harder in all the right ways. and sometimes servay makes me think he's a real-life magician, with all the thing he's able to come up with, so i would be fascinated by the progress of the game even if i didn't play it almost exclusively these days.

" There’s just something glowing about MoM. "

i think that's the bold ambition of the game at juggling all those things, more than its (original) execution, that makes it glowing.