I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Master of Magic unofficial patch (latest version)

BiranSeraps Wrote:I've noticed that a unit listed as "de error" is appearing along the build options list in my capital city. I'm attaching a save file -- just take a look at my capital city.

Never mind. I restarted the game and this error went away.

Sorry about the double post!

Love the patch. Seriously. Great game, lovely patch to make it better.
However, I found a bug. I don't know if it's specific to the situation or not, and unfortunately I don't have a save file to pitch your way, but here goes.

I was in a fight with another wizard. Seeing as there were a number of Slingers about, we both started casting Guardian Wind. In response to mine, however, the AI Dispelled the spell apparantly successfully (the message came up and everything). However, the glowy effect around the unit didn't go away, nor did Guardian Wind in the list of special effects on the unit, and the AI didn't target it with slingers, I assume so as not to waste shots.
The kicker was this: After battle, the Guardian Wind spell, which I had cast during combat, persisted, as though it had been an overland enchantment in the first place. So apparently, the Dispel not only failed to actually work, but turned a termporary combat-length enchantment into a permanent overland spell, including adding upkeep.

As far as other conditions go, we were fighting over a town, and I was the aggressor. I had a Bard hero along with the unit. Anything else you need to know?
I wish I'd though to save before-and-after shots, but sadly I did not.

EDIT:
It just did it again, with the conditions reversed - I tried to dispell HIS Guardian Wind, the game claims a successful dispell, but all evidence points to the contrary. I have a save file set aside just prior to the fight, but I'm new to the forum and it tells me that I can't attach files.
The only difference between the two circumstances, as far as I can tell, is that Lo Pan used Dispell whereas I used Dispell True.
I can email the save file to anyone curious. In the meantime, I'll just be aware of the problem and carry on like a good soldier.

Did it happen near a sorcery node? It might be related to the (Spell|Mana|memoryfailure) Lock effect my units have gained on such nodes.

Nope. No nodes nearby whatsoever. At all.

Hi.

I want to submit some bugs i found in this last patch version:

- If i build a new city over a unit (let's say, swordmen or halberdiers), the city will disappear the next turn, or some turns later after it was built.
- If i have a settler and a engineer unit in the same square, and order the engineer to build a road, the game creates a new city, making the settler to disappear and keeping the engineer "alive".
- City messages such as "XXXXX has built a Temple" doesn't play any sound, like it does in the original MoM version.
- I found various game balance issues, for example, neutral cities that contains a lot of mid/high level units after 10 game turns. For example, i found various neutral cities that contains 6 or 7 halberdiers in the game turn number 9 or 10.
Other balance issue is that sometime the game spawns relatively big armies to destroy one of my cities (like in original version), but the army is almost impossible to defeat for the early game. For example, i was sent an army of 9 XXXXXX unit types while my best unit was maybe halberds, and only got one or two of them, and with luck, a hero.

Another not-really bugs:

- Opponents sometimes send settlers around my cities to explore. It's supposed that settlers can be destroyed quite easy, so a human player will never send a settler to explore enemy territory unless he wants it to be destroyed.
- Game Options>Strategic Combat: WTF is that? At first sight it has not much sense, unless you realize that all combats are automatic with such option turned on. I would recommend to change that option caption from "Strategic Combat" to "Automatic Combat" or even "Instant Combat".
- Make all new Game Options to be deactivated by default. I like the original game feeling and probably many people will do as well.

that's all. Thanks 4 your attention.

Hi Ubermann. Thanks for your feedback.

Ubermann Wrote:- If i build a new city over a unit (let's say, swordmen or halberdiers), the city will disappear the next turn, or some turns later after it was built.
- If i have a settler and a engineer unit in the same square, and order the engineer to build a road, the game creates a new city, making the settler to disappear and keeping the engineer "alive".
Huh? April 1st? Seriously, I haven't heard about it. It seems very strange, unprobable. Please, PM me a savegame so that I can see and correct the problem.

Quote:- City messages such as "XXXXX has built a Temple" doesn't play any sound, like it does in the original MoM version.
I tried to correct a looping music bug with stopping the music totally. Not nice and moreover, it does not fix the thing. So in next version you'll have the music back.

Quote:- I found various game balance issues, for example, neutral cities that contains a lot of mid/high level units after 10 game turns. For example, i found various neutral cities that contains 6 or 7 halberdiers in the game turn number 9 or 10.
That's not a balance problem, that is the concept of original MoM. Neutral cities are supposed to be already built up when you start your settlement. They develop very slowly, though. I did not change the original setup here. Please note, that only a few neutral cities are meant to be big. Some of them start on low pop and even without any garrison!

Quote:Other balance issue is that sometime the game spawns relatively big armies to destroy one of my cities

This is due to extra difficulty setting. Go into Game-> Options -> disable Raiders and Monsters extra difficulty setting. It should be normal now. (Also note, that big armies are spawned only from big neutral cities, that are relatively scarce.)

Quote:It's supposed that settlers can be destroyed quite easy, so a human player will never send a settler to explore enemy territory unless he wants it to be destroyed.
Don't understand.

Quote:- Game Options>Strategic Combat: WTF is that?

That's how it was named in MoM Vanilla. I haven't changed a word. I agree it is confusing. Anyway, WTF, etc. IMO.

Quote:- Make all new Game Options to be deactivated by default. I like the original game feeling and probably many people will do as well.
They are deactivated by default. If you make a clean MoM + patch install, you should have them deactivated. If you, however, played the game before, and then install the patch, it does not overwrite your personal settings in MoM.set (although it could). I wanted to respect personal settings of players. If many users find that as frustrating as you, I could change it in the future.

-----------------------------------------

Anybody else reporting the DISPEL problem/bug: I know about it. It will be corrected in the next version.

Thanks for all the feedback in this thread. It's nice there are people who enjoy the patch.

kyrub Wrote:Huh? April 1st? Seriously, I haven't heard about it. It seems very strange, unprobable. Please, PM me a savegame so that I can see and correct the problem.

This sounds like a bug I've encountered. I had two or so already built villages disappear, and they were near Adamantium. I had no idea how to reproduce it.

kyrub Wrote:They are deactivated by default. If you make a clean MoM + patch install, you should have them deactivated. If you, however, played the game before, and then install the patch, it does not overwrite your personal settings in MoM.set (although it could). I wanted to respect personal settings of players. If many users find that as frustrating as you, I could change it in the future.

Except that's not the case and the fix has been sitting on page 1, post 2 of the "MoM bug reports (to do list)" topic for almost a year. This was explained again on page 8 and subsequently ignored.

The first time you run the game is from Magic.exe not Wizards.exe, you never updated Magic.exe to reflect the new patch defaults for Magic.set. Do I need to post a video for you to believe this or will you actually try it yourself?

Ah well, I forgot about this. You're right, Ickus. You sound a bit like my wife (didn't I tell you N times already... what should I do to let you notice... bang) but you are right about the thing. This must be fixed. Thanks.

I've added this patch "j" into my game after a long absence with some adjustments and I really like the challenge it is presenting even on just the hard level:
--Gorgons and Basilisks are in the AI load and they used these to get back cities I just took from them.
--I broke 4 dragon turtles on a dark elf AI thief hero.
--The AI seems very aggressive in pounding my cities. After playing Civ 4 with many years of peace, there is not much paint drying here.
--The AI cast iron skin of its siege army. Yes, my defensive Stone Giant reinforced crew and its hero bent their swords on them and were killed to the last man.
--the AI ships dump huge stacks of armies on my continent.
--the AI has quite a list of dead heroes. MY dead heroes.

I thank you very much for this patch and hope you will keep up the good work.
I appreciate you not making the various "balance changes," we can do that.

For example, I cannot resist tinkering with the various editors out there, such as doubling the cost of buildings and units except bowman and spearmen, maybe the low end troops will stay in the game longer.

the logic is the upkeep and other costs will make it less attractive to build all palidon, berserker, or other high end only stacks;

the swimming settlers, they let the AI spread all over, I have snagged more than a few cities that "washed" ashore.

Or increase stats on the bowmen to 2 range from 1 and give the spearmen 2 moves (light infantry or scouts) so they are more useful against higher class units, but then it seems other units suddenly need attention and it never ends, yes let us do the "balance" changes, removing the bugs and other improvements is very helpful

thanks again