I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Greasemonkey script to avoid spoiler threads

Hello all,

Just for fun, and after some close calls with the various Werewolf spoiler threads, I cobbled together a little greasemonkey script which allows you to selectively "block" certain threads when browsing these forums with Firefox or Chrome. Blocked threads show up in red and cannot actually be viewed without first unblocking them. The purpose of this is of course to help users avoid spoiler information by clicking on the wrong threads.

Here's how it looks in action (spoilered image):
[Image: blockedthreads.jpg]

Yes, I'm pretending to be Krill in RBCiv PBEM4. A man can dream, right? Anyway, you block or unblock a thread by clicking on the X or V in the left-most column. When a thread is blocked, it turns red and you cannot view it without first unblocking it. That's really all there is to it.

So I'm not sure how interesting this will be for others, but if you want to use this, you need the following:

What you need:
  1. Firefox or Chrome. No, it doesn't work with other browsers.
  2. For Firefox users: Greasemonkey, an entirely unintrusive Firefox add-on to enable stuff like this.

3. The actual greasemonkey script that I wrote, which is here. Just click the link and confirm that you want to install the script, and you're done.

Caveats:
  1. The script blocks links to threads, but not to individual posts. So you can still stumble into a spoiler thread by following a link to a specific post. (Sadly, such links contain no hint in the URL about what thread they're linking to). Similarly, you can come across spoiler information if you are doing a search for individual posts.
  2. The set of threads that are blocked is stored locally, so if you are browsing from multiple computers you need to block the threads you want to block on each of the computers.
  3. For Chrome users. To allow installation of the script, start Chrome with the --enable-easy-off-store-extension-install command-line option. (On Windows, edit the shortcut to add this argument.)
If you know what I mean.

Hi,

nice idea! thumbsup

zakalwe Wrote:Firefox. No, it doesn't work with other browsers.
But it almost works with Chromium...it displays the green "V"s, but if I click on one it only sends me back to the same forum again with no change. frown

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Uploaded new version now that appears to work with Chrome as well. Just needed to find appropriate substitutes for the GM_getValue and GM_setValue API calls.

It may be possible to get it working with Opera too. (Perhaps even IE).
If you know what I mean.

Nice thumbsup.

Darrell

zakalwe Wrote:Yes, I'm pretending to be Krill in RBCiv PBEM4. A man can dream, right?

Nightmares are more fun, pretend to be me smile.

Darrell

Hmm...seemed to install fine but when I click on the green check mark it doesn't change to a red X and I can still read the thread. Firefox version 3.6.3.

Darrell

You have Greasemonkey installed?
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

The script won't install without greasemonkey installed.

But, yes.

Darrell

I have only tested this with Firefox 4.0.1 and Chrome 11.0.696.65.
If you know what I mean.

zakalwe Wrote:...Firefox 4.0.1...Chrome 11.0.696.65.
You gotta love the different version number schemes crazyeye lol
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

Kylearan Wrote:You gotta love the different version number schemes crazyeye lol

Our version numbers go to 11! lol
Blog | EitB | PF2 | PBEM 37 | PBEM 45G | RBDG1