Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Diplomacy No press Game 01 LURKER THREAD [NO PLAYERS]

Is this the point where we all blame England/Cyneheard for losing the game?
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

And not, say, Russia deciding that the south just wasn't worth fighting for? Novice, I'd love to hear your explanation of why you disbanded A Bul in 1904 instead of F Bal; once you did that, I needed to end the northern conflict against you ASAP b/c it was clear to me that you were going to overinvest there if I gave you any room at all.

I grant you that taking Bel was smoke, but you did more to help Austria by screwing yourself over with Tus-Rom when Italy was still extant (putting Italy on your doorstep in Pie). If THAT hadn't happened, I think we'd have had a real shot at eliminating Germany by 1906/1907, as you would've knocked Germany out of Pic the next Spring, and we'd have kept on making progress.

regoarrarr Wrote:Thoughts from France on who is who

Quote:France:
So, let's see
I'm hoping Sullla isn't Austria
I expect Cyneheard to be England
scooter is probably Germany
MNovice is Russia
Luddite was Italy
and Rowain was Turkey

Dan: so who is austria then?

France: Sullla

Not bad.

I lol'ed at Krill calling my convoy orders bullshit, and Rego asking people to guess who was doing tge bitching.

@Cyne: Noobish attempt to butter up Austria.

Congratulations to Scooter, soloing with his sixth choice. I feel somewhat guilty for giving him a needlessly easy ride, but I'm a noob and besides, we all had our moments if smoke.
I have to run.

Fun game. Thanks to Dan for hosting!

Massive congrats to Scooter, well deserved win.

Will post a year by year round up probably tomorrow at work if I'm not too busy. I didn't exactly give up on the game, I tried to survive as long as possible, but I did put less time into each turn as it went on, especially once both France and England turned on me, hence making a few more mistakes and turn updates stopped.

I have a few regrets but the cooperation between England and France for most of the game seemed to doom me whatever I did.

I guess I should have supported Munich last turn and we'd have gotten another year in. But meh. smile

shadyforce Wrote:I guess I should have supported Munich last turn and we'd have gotten another year in. But meh. smile

Honestly, at that point another year does nothing. It was fine to play that gamble then, and just end it. Austria won the moment France gave up on defending Mar by accelerating his own demise.

I'm not sure there was a whole lot you could have done; the first time I got into Hel was probably the one key block you could've made.

Can someone actually list who was who?

Quote:SCOOTER as Austria

England: Cyneheard
France: Krill
Germany: Shadyforce
Italy: Luddite
Russia: Novice
Turkey: Rowain

Here you go Sunrise.

Thanks for the fun game everyone smile. In the next couple days I'll read through this thread when I get some time and I'll write up some closing thoughts. I was fairly consistent with sending my thoughts to regoarrar so I won't have tons to add, but I'm sure I'll have some comments to make.

Random thoughts that are written while I read the thread.

1. Germany/Shadyforce's opening thoughts (http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showpost....stcount=24) were quite funny. lol

2. I actually was under the impression that everyone in the lurker thread knew who was who, so it's interesting to read this all when it was kept quiet. I might have made some effort to disguise my writing style a little bit had I known that. Curious if anyone will guess me.

3. Speaking of guessing people - post #60 (http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showpost....stcount=60) just screams Krill = France lol. Curious if anyone will guess that one.

4. Looks like T-Hawk nailed the first identity guess (http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showpost....stcount=79) as Cyneheard = England. Ah, and 2 posts later Gaspar guesses who I am.

5. I do tend to agree with Cyneheard that Novice's removal of Bulgaria rather than Bal (http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showpost....tcount=130) was a turning point in the game. I'm assuming Novice did that because he wanted to not make an enemy out of me (?), but that was a pretty big moment. I remember the email coming through from the judge and I was quite happy to see that Bul was disbanded.

6. This quote from Krill/France:

Krill Wrote:08 was a very simple set up for A to grab as many SC as possible to highlight this point. I couldn't hold ven, and for long term survival, it didn't make any difference if I ordered tys-tun or tys-mao, A wouldn't be able to build with the extra SC but would have gotten it in the spring because I would have had to use wes to support mao. I'd have held onto Rome for in the fall of 07 but lost it in sping 08, and I'd have had to delete the army anyway.

The upside to doing something so self destructive is it might, just might, have gotten through to England that I wouldn't fold against him and Austria would solo, and that he needed me. But hey, he didn;t get it the last time, so I can understand why others would point out my stupidity in thinking England might have realised this fact.
(http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showpost....tcount=216)

Was actually a pretty good explanation to France's ditching Italy the way he did. Handing me Rome was the most bizarre, but really, it didn't actually help me (remember, I had 6 builds available), and he was going to lose it anyways, so might as well make a statement. The game was probably pretty much done anyways, but I guess that actually makes sense from France's perspective. Interesting.

That's about all that jumped out to me from reading the thread.

wow, have not played Diplomacy since the mid 70's. 
Guess i missed this chance.
Occhi
"Think globally, drink locally."