Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Kandros of the Clan - How many powers of 2 do you need?

No, those aren't where I want to sen the first settler pair, but the seond/third? Some nice happy down there, with not too bad food.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot1061.jpg]
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Woot, I see a barb goblin to kill for some XP in the south that can be attacked next turn, an elephant that is wandering around doing nothing in the back lines and a griffon to the west frown

God damnit I hate barbs sometimes.

BTW, guys, I was wondering, but isn't it economically preferable to use agrarianism farms and workshops, under Nationalism and Mil State, to build Warren'd Solderis of Kilmorph to then cash in on any building we want? That'd give us +25% to building the SoK, which makes them cost, what, 48 base hammers, that give us 60 hammers worth of buildings? And as there isn't a %age modifier to building construction...we want RoK.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Warrens and SoK are nice smile. Not the least for the ability to concentrate production.

Darrell

Well, it's a bonus, but they basically make everything cheaper plus let us move around hammers. We'd need Mining and Myst to get WotE, so it seems like it'll have to wait, but I think if we aren't next to the Illians, it's one of the more important things to get.

Decisions decisions. Worker at size 2 now? Finish the 6/16 warrior then worker and delay the warren? OR stick to the plan of warren asap?

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot1089.jpg]

Hey guys, something for you to sim out tongue

After running through the sim, the advantages of going warrio>warren is that I get out 1 warrior, 1 goblin and by t44 I'm 2 turns from first and second worker, meaning I could go Mining second to find copper. I could put some pressure on a neighbour.

The advantage to going worker>warren is that the warren finishes t44 with wheat+2fp farmed and the silks hooked, capital is size 6, and can reasonably go warrior>worker>settler or even warrior>settler. It's a better building position, but it means that Calendar is second tech (ok not that bad) and that I'm not going to be able to scout that well. I can get a combat 3 warrior next turn when I promote, and use him to scout westwards, but I'm risking it to the north with only a 1 move goblin.

I promoted the warrior to C3. yes, I could have promoted it to shock, but it's not like it's really needed, and I'm more worried about barb griffons etc, and C3 really helps the odds. I retreated the warrior and goblin back to the culture, takes 2 turns to heal, so they'll be finished once Stasis ends.

Also, there is an argument that I should finish the current warrior, and then send off the two warriors and the upgraded adventurer (15XP by end of Stasis) to go choke someone. It'll delay the worker and warren by one turn apiece, but those units would be a bitch to deal with...

I like having [strike]slaves[/strike] people to manage smile

Turn report: So, an ele and a skele turned up to the SW. Hopefully the injured warrior can attack it in 2 turns for 4 more XP to get to level 4?

So, I've been thinking about how to handle the situation if we are next to the Illians. The rest I can handle, even 6 move raider HA with insane retreat chances, but a PoW rush is going to be difficult.

As I see it there are a couple of options, depending on hut luck and what not:

The Pyrrhic victory option is to build a huge stack of warriors via a warrne, a settler and 4 workers, road along the bottom of the map and hide my units right next to the Illians, and the moment the PoW turn up on my borders invade and try to wipe him out asap. Lead by an adventurer, it's fairly dangerous, especially one that can be D4+C5 by t50. This is not a great move for survival chances, but it is a decent threat to the Illians, one that makes a war against the Clan an unappetizing prospect, unless you are Serdoa who never holds to an agreement he makes.

Another one is to buy him off with cities that I plant and then gift to him. Unfortunately, I never trust Serdoa to stick to his word, so realistically, I'd have to get him to agree to the city gift(s) to be late enough that I know I can handle the PoW if he reneges the deal, and I'm not sure he'd take one that saw him gain cities around t90-t100.

The penultimate partial solution is one of the more dangerous, and basically needs hut luck to pop BW or Construction, and the PoW to arrive a little late: 4 Cats will knock the priests down to a level that the adventurer and bronze warriors will win, but as 1 cat = 8 warriors, I'm not sure if it's actually that good a deal, or even how many cats would be needed.

The final solution is the obvious one. Shit loads of bronze warriors. They would be seriously cheap to me, 8 hammers a warrior, and with copper and C1 (and if I got lucky with techs, could even get C2 from Apprenticeship) which makes them 4.8 or 5.6 which makes them decent odds on ice summons. It'd just mean that I'd need a lot to break down the PoW themselves, because they are going to be bale to reach 20XP fairly fast with Potency, which is about I2+C3. The problem to this is slow...I'd really need a haste shaman to make it work, but the other option is to keep the warriors split up into many small stacks on the edge of a 5*5 square, just out of reach. I'm not sure how expensive it gets, tbh, but I'm pretty sure that the numbers will win eventually. However, the Adventurer can be promoted in such a way that it gets odds on a PoW on a hill, just about.

The riskier still method (and I won't call it a solution) is to try and rush them right now. Upgrade the warrior, send off the goblin, the warrior and the adventurer west and hope it's the Illians, because I'd hate it if the Illians were to the north. However, the civ to the west should be closer to us, if the Illians are to the north, they are further away and that means we would have more time before a rush hit us, and there would be other targets closer. In other words, the civ to the west is a safer target for a rush, and would be the more dangerous location for the Illians to be, so hedge the bet and send the units off over in that direction. After all, the units don't have to rush or even choke once they get there, if it turns out the aren't the Illians.

Realistically, I can see the PoW hitting on t65. That's a mere 20 turns after I finish the first warren...and a settler(*2) would take about 8 turns of that, leaving enough time to get about 16 warriors from the capital plus maybe a further 5 or so from the other cities, but only have a single worker. So some of the above ideas can't really work.

Krill Wrote:unless you are Serdoa who never holds to an agreement he makes.

Krill Wrote:I never trust Serdoa to stick to his word.

Huh? From what I've seen, Serdoa does honor his agreements.