For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Kandros of the Clan - How many powers of 2 do you need?

*cough*

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot1128.jpg]
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

And I got me a wolf rider, with 2XP, finish Masonry next turn, and 3 turns from a worker. And I have a 2.2 health, C4 15/17XP warrior next to a poison goblin. Should have odds for that battle...but I need to be careful, that's a good unit, one that with copper should have good odds against some high level enemy units after a few warriorpults, nudge nudge.

So, what to tech next? Calendar, or the 30 turn BW to hook up that river copper? Assume I'll build the settler after a warren, so I can hook up the river copper up north and still settle 1 city to the west. On that note, I'm quite tempted to settle on desert if it turns out a certain neighbour are the Illians, which up north means I could settle for the plains sheep, copper, gold, fp, marble and silk. I could easily set up a killing field...
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

I'm not sure if I've pointed this out yet, but dealing with 2 move PoW is a bitch. However, if I can get them on flat land or a forest, or over a river, 12 bronze C1 warriors plus the Adventurer Vanilla Ice warrior (C5, HA2 for strength 12), plus a highly promoted wolf rider (and excluding 4 warriors defending the city) and a C5 bronze warrior is probably enough to break through 3 PoW and 3 ice eles. If Illians wait to bring ordinary, none bronze, none AGG warriors to attack an AGG player who has a warren pumping out bronze C1 warriors then I'm pretty sure the AGG player is gaining an advantage.

Why not south of the Cow (leveraging free palace culture for the Copper) instead? Its only three roads to connect the cities and the Copper as well. I guess if the tile west of the Sheep is a floodplains that changes things quite a bit.

Darrell

1. No Exploration yet,
  2. It's very hard to defend a city on that plains hill from PoW, which until I know who my neighbours are is #1 on list of things a city needs to be.
  3. that tile next to the sheep is an fp
  4. I want to scout that area around those flood plains more before decided where to plant
  5. I'll have a warren. I'm going to settle both locations at the same time...if I have the worker turns

Also, I know Kyan and Cyneheard questioned me over the last week about sending out a choke party, but after thinking about it, it'd take about 20 turns for the units to get to the next player along, and they aren't going to do an awful lot for me in that time frame, whereas without knowing exactly where the Illians are I'm going to have to rely on these few highly promoted units to stand a chance on defence.

So they're staying home and beating up barbs. One warrio is at 15/17, the other one is at 0XP, so I need to start using that basic warrior to beat up some barbs...

Krill Wrote:Yeah and lack of mobility is going to be highlighted quite well in PBEMXII so it's probably worth watching for that alone...

I'm confused what you meant by this, but figured here's a more appropriate spot to ask. Why would you have trouble getting mobility? If you actually research HBR, unlike PBEM5, and build Hasting Shamans, I'd think you can be quite mobile in the end. True you can't have the mounted line, but I'd think Body mana on Shamans would partially make up for it. And for that matter, having a non-barb leader so you're not perpetually an era behind in tech.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

You're right, that I can be pretty mobile, getting 3 move melee units without any real difficulty. OTOH, I'm against 1 raider civ, which is the Hippus, and 2 Varns that could easily take Raider come turn 140, one of them the Sheaim who luckily won't have to worry about haste too much and the other the Illians who aren't Agnostic either.

Those 3 are going to be significantly more mobile that I can be, even in my culture. So I'm going to have to come up with methods of limiting their mobility, mobility that will let them blow straight past any defensive stacks I have without me being able to interdict them on my turn, using one of the few advantages I'll have - numbers.

Luckily, I do have plans for all of them that could work. Except those damn PoW.

Krill Wrote:one of them the Sheaim who luckily won't have to worry about haste too much

No, they took Kandros. The other Varn is the Sidar. Who, granted, have just demonstrated to me in PBEM5 how mobile they can be even without Spiritual and Raiders bang

I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with. The only thing I know about how to handle raiders is essentially what Thoth did - don't build many roads, have the roads go through cities and forts that you garrison well. But maybe there's a better approach.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Mardoc Wrote:No, they took Kandros. The other Varn is the Sidar. Who, granted, have just demonstrated to me in PBEM5 how mobile they can be even without Spiritual and Raiders bang

Mea culpa.

Quote:I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with. The only thing I know about how to handle raiders is essentially what Thoth did - don't build many roads, have the roads go through cities and forts that you garrison well. But maybe there's a better approach.

Well, that's a starting point. Warren'd Aggressive Iron ogres, if you can get to them, start to give you options.