For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoiler] Team slowwalk of the Reservoir Cats (Suleiman/Korea, slowcheetah + Catwalk)

slowcheetah Wrote:Turn 113

Missing Gifts has been razed frown

Bad luck Chuck! I think that was your only tundra city? At least, nice job pulling some more hammers out of Sian. Is this a 'total war' from him or just a opportune raid?

Turn 116

Ok quick update, virtually nothing happened turn 114 or 115, I just built some more units. In fact so little happened that I thought it was still turn 114 lol

Sian's techlead is expanding, and worryingly so, he now has a distinct land unit advantage (grenadiers) and a distinct naval advantage. Frigates and Galleons. His ships are more worrying because they expose a number of cities with warrior guards (DD and JH) to attack, spreading my forces ever thinner. WangKon in the picture is his moai city, and could certainly build up a navy for a naval invasion.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0593.JPG]

However, desperate plans for counterattack are in action. Having noticed how woefully underguarded some of his smaller island cities were. I hopeful dropped off a crossbow and longbow next to his size 11 island city. Has left me a possible 50% shot if the longbow hits the vulture down well and Sian feels confident enough not to dry whip. Admittedly, a massive gamble, but for two units and the chance to actually do some real damage to Sian I think it's worth it. Why a crossbow and longbow you ask, they were the units I had spare when I thought about doing it.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0595.JPG]

There may also be some fireworks down in the tundra in the next few turns which I will report on when they develop.

Demographics look bad.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0594.JPG]

I'm trying to slot in some infra builds (seowons. markets, courthouses) to increase my techrate. I need metallic superboats to counter Sian's.

Oh and Ceil, sorry for not replying earlier. Missing Gifts was my only tundra city, although the same is true for everyone. It's definitely total war currently. Sian went after me first because he couldn't reach Xenu (besides I'm a tastier target than protective longbows) and thought that Dazed was in too much of a techhole to catch up.

Right I've been slack at updating all week, probably because of equal parts time issues and sulking slightly because people are burning my stuff, but I can't burn theirs frown.

Anyway lets start out with turn 119;

It had a very bad start, my third city Jaw Hurting had been razed by a Galleon filled with Grenadiers, just one turn before I was going to reinforce it with a few more troops.

Since my wisdom teeth had now been pulled out, I got a bit reckless; firstly attacking the offending grenadier with a mace out of OHP. Someone else would have been there to clean up, but happily my mace won at 17% odds.

Emboldened by the positive RNG I moved some troops up to threaten both Joao II in the jungle and Hannibal in the Tundra.

Hannibal

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0636.JPG]

My Stack
3 Maces
4 Knights
5 Pikes
13 Hwachas
1 GG medic Chariot

Sians troops
In front of the city
5 Knights
2 Crossbows
Longbow

In City
Grenadier
Knight
Crossbow
2 Longbows
Spear
Archer

Basically it looked like once I'd got through his strong defenders with the knights, cats and maces the pikes could finish off his horsies

Joao II

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0635.JPG]

My Troops
12 Maces
2 Pikes
8 hwacahs

Sian's Troops
2 Crossbows

Unfortunately, the fog of war is mysterious.

Additionally this turn, I finally clicked that maybe actually having an economy that could run at faster than 10% research was a good idea. Consequently, I've been trying to build some markets and couthouses over the next few turns or so.

Turn 120

I was cowardly in the Jungle, limping my stack away after it was beaten back by a charge of Sian horses.

Joao II

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0638.JPG]

Remaining in my stack was:
7 Maces
2 Pikes
4 Hwachas

In Sian's City

2 Grenadiers
5 Knights (shock promoted)

I didn't think I had good enough odds to take down the 5 knights and grenadiers while losing only 2 units (bar catapults), and those troops were valuable for my defense.

Hannibal

I did advance in Hannibal, because I saw he'd moved his knights out of flanking range. However, he'd also brought 6 grenadiers in.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0640.JPG]

Which led me to retreat my units on turn 121, he had 15 troops to 19 of mine, and I had 13 hwachas, behind 60 cultural walls with troops of strength 22.20 making up the first 7 fighters. I didn't think I was getting through even with the collateral.

More uppdating may follow later today.