Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS - PBEM29] spacetyrantxenu - Mao of Babylon

spacetyrantxenu Wrote:Now, whether that should belong to Kuro or not is another matter, but since we haven't corresponded yet I can't be bothered to care about his opinion on it right now. It will be in the BFC of our 3rd city, which should give us plenty of time to get cultural control over the area. What we do with the second silver will remain to be seen, probably it will be trade bait.

I think you know my feelings on who it belongs to. hammer

"Git thar fustest with the mostest." --misquote of Nathan Bedford Forrest

Nothing too exciting this turn, scout explored, warrior explored, other warrior crossed to the SW side of the capital to begin exploration there. At end of turn we rolled our first bowman off the assembly line. Our two workers finished the camp on the ivory so when the city grew to size 3 at EoT we had 3 special tiles to work.

F9:
[Image: T18-F9.JPG]

Posting from work, played the turn on my laptop so of course it crashed before I could look around too much more. Apparently camera flying is not wise on the integrated GPU hammer2:.

No diplo to report except the omnipresent situation where Kuro holds the turn for another 40 hours or so. I think that gets us to -6 now. When does Mao get furious? lol

Chatting with Catwalk now, will post if anything interesting comes up.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Relevant game bits from the chat with Catwalk:

Catwalk: In other news
We now officially dislike Sian
Catwalk: He founded Buddhism
Which was rightfully ours
Mao: how was it yours?
Catwalk: Well
We wanted it
Mao: if you were india i'd have to say it was yours... .
Catwalk: And we didn't get it
Koreans
Close enough
Mao: you could always take it if you feel strongly enough.
Catwalk: Oh we intend to
Sian will die for this
Mao: nothing like a good holy war to get the juices flowing
lol
Catwalk: In 4000-5000 years or so
We will sneak up on him in the meantime
Mao: obviously we peace loving republicans abhor the thought of war, but we wish you well and hope for minimal casualties.
it seems that as a cat you have an unfair advantage when stalking prey.
Catwalk: We think of it as a fair advantage
Catwalk: We're pretty sure it means he doesn't have bronze working yet
And we're pretty sure that means his start is going to suck
Mao: that he has Meditation already?
Catwalk: Yes
He didn't start with Mysticism
He started with Wheel and Agriculture

I added the emphasis to the key phrase because it makes Mao happy to see rivals possibly tear each other into small bits. Even though I'm only considering doing it I've never told anyone that I plan to kill Kuro. I think I'd rather just do it when it's time for that.

Even if Catwalk is slow to deal with Sian it works to our advantage. I doubt there will be much trading or information exchanged between them if Catwalk is sincere about being irritated with Sian. Cats are temperamental creatures after all.

I noticed one thing that was annoying after I sent on the turn. We've lost graphs on Catwalk and don't have visibility on Sian by a long shot, so we're flying in the dark a bit in terms of reading the demographics. However, we're #1 in military power at almost double the next player, so it isn't that concerning. I know a lot of that is power is vapor, based on the points you get for researching Archery, but that tech readily converts into something that will destroy any invading army: Mao's OP Protective powered bowmen! lol Someone should have banned Protective for this game!

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Quote:This is a tracker for rbpbem29green

It's year BC-2920
Kuro has the save.
26 hours 50 minutes passed since the save has been handed on.

Someone please delurk and answer a question for me: what is the expected turnaround time for a PBEM game? I understand the occasional situation where someone will hold a turn for 24-48 hours before playing. Real life gets in the way and is obviously more important than a game. I am more curious as to opinions on habitual holding a turn and what my expectations should be.

The current game is very new (turns take very little time to play) and Kuro has not said much of anything in the tech thread either explaining why he is holding turns or even acknowledged that he is holding them.

Am I out of line in expecting the turns to be played faster than they currently are? Certainly I would expect that someone would at the very least communicate to the other players that a delay is to be expected, and an approximate idea given of when the turn would be played and passed on.

Thanks in advance for any input.

In general, the expectation is for 1t/day. Some games will get more, but if your playing times aren't totally out of whack for the timezones, 1t/day is a reasonable minimum.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

So I may not be crazy, but perhaps a bit impatient. Thanks!

There are only four civs in this game and the time zones are distributed such that no one should have to wait very long to play. Given that Kuro is the last to play and furthest west you could argue he has the longest window of time to play before holding the save would delay the first team. But when he holds the save for...

[Image: T18-KuroHoldsTheSaveForever.JPG]

...well, that is beyond reasonable to consistently hold a turn that long. I may be throwing our chance to win this game but it's time to gear up for war. I have a lot more fun playing games when I actually get to play them.

:mad::mad::mad: Eridan Ampora, it's time to die. Mao is furious now and war will not cease until your empire or mine is destroyed. :mad::mad::mad:

...Not that we'll introduce ourselves with a war declaration. We'll let our armies do that for us. Steve Inskeep has strict instructions to keep his mouth shut when he makes contact. The goal of this war is to be able to reliably play a turn per day. The secondary goal is to kill an opponent and (possibly) lay claim to more territory, but with so much unsettled land close to our existing territory this is obviously an irrelevant objective, as we can't settle Kuro's land within a reasonable time frame anyway. I hope this doesn't open up the area for Catwalk to expand into it across the presumed world wrap, but if he does I bet he still plays his turns on time. Or maybe if he expands too fast he'll also have to face the guy who Builds Way Too Much Military™. hammer

spacetyrantxenu Wrote::mad::mad::mad: Eridan Ampora, it's time to die. Mao is furious now and war will not cease until your empire or mine is destroyed. :mad::mad::mad:

Bwahahaha!! I actually laughed when I saw that. jive

Forget the NPR correspondents. We'll name our scouting party "Pointy Stick" and "Hands Full".

Are you kidding? No one deadpan relays the body count and car bombings like Cory Flintoff. He's next off the assembly line. lol Like Brokaw he gives a sense of gravitas to the situation (although no one these days does it like Brokaw did. No one read the news as well as him, except maybe Ron Burgandy. Matt Lauer, give me a break).

Anyway, once Kuro is eliminated and the turns are played on time we'll be able to report more on the game and less on stuff like this. Maybe. alright

Wow, if you use Pro Bowmen to rush Persia you will officially get the cojones award this game. Still planning on pink dotting the bulk of the tundra?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.