For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

RBP7 [SPOILERS] - The Chronicles of Nyania

Hinduism was founded last turn. Who got it? Well, it must have been someone with a score increase of at least 6 points at the start of T26. It was unfortunately a busy turn on T26, but we can still deduce the likely founder. The candidates:

- Sunrise finished a tech on T25, so it’s unlikely he got Hinduism on T26. He founded on T1, so his point increase will likely be from the land in the second ring of his capital (5 + 20 turns after founding).

- Slowcheetah founded on T1, so his point increase is probably from land too.

- HitAnyKey founded on T1, so his point increase is likely also from land.

- Lewwyn founded on T1, so his point increase is likely also from land.

- Moogle founded on T1, so his point increase is likely also from land. He also finished a tech on T27, which makes Hinduism on T26 unlikely.

- Azza founded on T1, so his point increase is likely also from land. He finished a tech on T23 too, which makes Hinduism on T26 unlikely.

- Team Googly founded on T0 and finished a tech on T26, but we’re almost positive they got Agriculture on T10 and they didn’t start with Mysticism. Far more likely that they got a 16-turn tech… Bronze Working I guess. (Shame, would have been nice if they’d gone for a religion instead. tongue )

- Team FFH founded on T1, so their point increase is likely from land.

- Meiz founded on T1, so his point increase is probably from land too.

- Pindicator founded on T1, so his point increase is probably from land as well.

Which leaves… Catwalk, who founded on T0 and definitely finished a tech on T26. It’s almost certainly got to be him that founded Hinduism for other reasons too. It’s pretty early in the game, so it’d very likely be someone that started with Mysticism – which fits. Founding a religion early on is also something I’d expect from a newer player rather than a more experienced one – which also fits. (No offense intended, Catwalk. wink ) So yeah, I think we have a match.

For the record, according to ASM – if he can be trusted – Catwalk is to his south.

antisocialmunky Wrote:Hey Parkin, if you go directly south with your scout, you should meet Catwalk.
Don't know if we'll actually be able to meet Catwalk with his Warrior in the way, but we'll see.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Not much new this turn. A Scout from Team Googly has appeared 2NW of our capital... if he gets any closer, we'll remove him for some free XP.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot2397.jpg]

Across the ditch from our capital, it looks like the mountain range is extending further to the east. Good news I guess... let's hope it continues to seal us off a safe chunk of land over there.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Team Googly's 0.6 health Scout moved 1NW of our capital last turn (?!), so I let the Warrior be completed in 1 turn rather than juggling tiles so it'd be done in 2 turns as originally planned. If we'd gone for the 2 turn Warrior, that Scout probably have sat on the Pigs to deny it to us for a turn, judging by how ballsy he already was in moving directly adjacent to our capital. (Actually, not sure why he didn't do that last turn if he was already going to take that risk, but whatever.)

Since we've already finished the Warrior, we'll build a Barracks for 1 turn and then switch to either the Worker or Settler next turn. After some testing I confirmed that this change in tiles/builds shouldn't affect the expected arrival dates of any of the Workers or Settlers, and won't slow down our long term plan at all, so that's good.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot2400.jpg]

Incidentally, we still need a decision between Settler-Worker-Worker and Worker-Settler-Worker by next turn... any thoughts?

Quote:...if we go Worker-Settler-Worker (i.e. Option #1) they'll be done on turns 35-40-43 respectively (if I've simmed it out right). Then we can potentially do Barracks-Chariot on turns 46-49. Subsequent Chariots can potentially come as early as turns 51-52-53.

If we go Settler-Worker-Worker (i.e. Option #2), they'll be done on turns 38-40-44 respectively. We can then do Barracks-Chariot on turns 48-49, and potential subsequent Chariots on turns 52-53-54.
Oh, and here's the power graph... definitely looks like Team Googly got Bronze Working on T26. Also maybe a Warrior or Scout or pop point after that.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot2402.jpg]
Lord Parkin

After some thought, I'm inclined to go Worker-Settler-Worker and maximise our early hammer output rather than getting 2 turns more Gold-resource beakers via Settler-Worker-Worker. No techs will be particularly urgent after The Wheel anyway, and 20 beakers isn't a significant loss relative to the potential gains from investing more hammers earlier. Any conflicting opinions?

Will hurt a bit having to sit both Workers around for a few turns before we get Bronze Working, but unfortunately there's not much choice. Man I wish we'd got a tech from a hut, or started with a Gold/Silver/Gem resource. tongue Oh well.
Lord Parkin

I'm sorry for being inactive here, I just don't feel like I have much to say.

Worker - settler - worker should be fine. Maximise chops and all that.

No worries, there's not exactly much going on at the moment - and there's not likely to be for another 20 turns or so. Only other major decision that's coming up is on where to settle our second city... will need to wait for Bronze Working to come in before we can fully decide that though.
Lord Parkin

Sonic Boom survived a battle with a Lion last turn, though he'll take 6 turns to heal. Only 1 XP too. Bit annoying really, but oh well. Better than him being dead.

Looks like we can't head any further southwest - ASM's Warrior is harassing us from one direction and Catwalk's Warrior was advancing from the other. (Turns out ASM was telling the truth about him being down there.)

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot2403.jpg]

Oh well, at least we met Catwalk, which might eventually lead to a few bonus beakers from increasing our "known civs" bonus.

Rainbow Dash will now sweep back around the western side of Carthage and reveal a bit more about their land in that area, while hopefully staying out of harm's way. At least it'll be useful to know more about our closest neighbour, even if we're not as likely to meet new civs.
Lord Parkin

Hello, what have we here?

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot2404.jpg]

And so Shoryuken got his chance to avenge Hadouken's death. He did so with relish. wink

(I'd actually been hoping we might find ASM there... the infamous battle occurred before he moved on T24, leaving him with 0.3/1 health and a promotion, which would mean he'd have 0.6/1 health after taking it and would need four turns to heal fully. I suspected he'd prefer to head south to try to meet the people we'd told him were there - and moving south from his original position 2NW of our capital, the first defensible healing tile he'd see out of sight of our borders would be that hill-forest 4S-1W of our capital. So if he stopped to heal there on T26, I was fairly certain he'd be fully healed and moving to the hill 1E on T30. And what do you know! Turns out stopping to heal in the most logical place in the most logical manner doesn't always pay off. tongue )

Anyway, that battle gave Shoryuken the needed XP to get another promotion. He's currently at 0.8/2 health and 6 XP. Would still have been preferable to not have the second promotion and instead have both him and Hadouken still alive, but at least avenging the death gives a certain satisfaction.

In other news: the Horse pasture is done, and the Worker now has nothing to do but twiddle his thumbs until Bronze Working arrives. Going to be a long 6 turns. wink
Lord Parkin

Custom names make the event log somewhat amusing to watch.

[Image: EventLog.jpg]
Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin Wrote:Sonic Boom survived a battle with a Lion last turn, though he'll take 6 turns to heal. Only 1 XP too. Bit annoying really, but oh well.

You only get 1XP for defending, right?
And on the sixth day, god created Manchester.

[SIZE="1"]Played: PBEM13 (China), PBEM17 (India)
Helping out: PBEM23 (Egypt)
Dedlurked: PBEM15 (Ottomans)
Globally lurking: more or less everything else[/SIZE]