I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

RBP7 [SPOILERS] - The Chronicles of Nyania

When you log in, can you please post screenshot of scouting? I can't really log in from work so...

Okay, so our Scout got the hut and we received... another Scout. Oh well, hardly the worst outcome, though it's a shame we didn't get a free tech (2 other civs already did this turn - antisocialmunky and slowcheetah). Named the new Scout Sonic Boom.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot2339.jpg]

As for the land, it's looking... quite crappy, to be honest. We can already see tundra immediately to our northwest. To our west and southwest there are peaks and a desert. No exciting resources (Wheat is unirrigated). Where there isn't tundra or desert there's mostly plains and little grassland. Very few trees outside our capital. Looks like our only hope for expansion might be south... otherwise it currently looks like we'll get what, 2 crappy cities with this land? Unless we venture a whole lot further west, which we may not be able to do.

Ah well, let's just hope that (1) that desert isn't too big, (2) the majority of the tundra line doesn't remain 1-2 tiles above our capital, (3) some much better resources are just out of sight, (4) some strategic resources turn up in the fog, and (5) we have a greater than average distance to our nearest neighbour. Otherwise we might be in a bit of a sticky situation.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Think we should explore one or two tiles further north at most with the Warrior, then send him back to the capital. Better safe than sorry. Although it should be at least 7-8 turns before anyone can reach us with their Warrior (judging by the minimum distance between civs in my test maps), and even then they'd have to send it directly towards us while leaving themselves open (or not going Worker first).

Wonder if we could do something with that Marble later on... although it's in a bit of an awkward position. Might be able to try for the Oracle if it looks like we'll have some breathing room. Could do a Wheat/Marble city I guess, though it wouldn't exactly have good long-term prospects.

Oh well, we were expecting the map to throw a curveball to a few players, and it looks like we may have got one. Let's look at it as a challenge. smile
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Lord Parkin Wrote:Oh well, we were expecting the map to throw a curveball to a few players, and it looks like we may have got one. Let's look at it as a challenge. smile

I like you attitude smile Good luck!
Kalin

One thing we'll need to be quite cautious about, being next to tundra, is barbarians. We'll possibly have more of them - and for longer - than nations not next to tundra, because tundra tends to remain unsettled for much longer than regular land (for obvious reasons).

Of course, if we turn it around and look at it as an opportunity - the troops that we build to defend ourselves should get a lot of minimal risk "training", and we shouldn't have any issue getting a 10 XP unit for the Heroic Epic (via barb farming if necessary). So I guess it may not be all bad. wink
Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin Wrote:Oh well, we were expecting the map to throw a curveball to a few players, and it looks like we may have got one. Let's look at it as a challenge. smile

[Image: challenge.jpg]
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Also: Marble = cheap Heroic/National Epic.

nabaxo Wrote:CHALLENGE ACCEPTED
toast

nabaxo Wrote:Also: Marble = cheap Heroic/National Epic.
Good point. If we hang in long enough, we'll be able to build Heroic Epic for only ~80 hammers (as opposed to 200) and National Epic for ~100 hammers (as opposed to 250). Although, judging from what we can see at the moment, we may not end up having a city worth putting either of those wonders in even if we last that long. lol Guess we'll see anyway.

The capital could make a half-decent Moai city later on, though that'd cost ~165 hammers if we don't have Stone.
Lord Parkin

So, Team Germany is the only civ that hasn't settled its capital yet. Everyone else (9/18 players) settled last turn. Wonder what Mackoti and SevenSpirits are up to. Must have been a really crappy start if they're still moving.

As for the turn:

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot2340.jpg]

Well, there's a desert Gold 8 tiles to our west. That's something I guess, although it's pretty far to go for a second city, and as a result it might be too risky to plant early on. Settling on the desert hill wouldn't be too bad if we can manage it though, depending on the distance to the next civ. (Ideally we won't have a neighbour in that direction, but that's probably a bit much to hope for.)

I see a river by the gold, and the desert seems to continue in that direction. Maybe there'll be some flood plains in that area? Guess we'll see soon enough.
Lord Parkin

Also, I just noticed that three players are at 35 points now. Looks like HitAnyKey popped a tech this turn - the third player to do so. Lucky for him...
Lord Parkin

May I ask why you are scouting with our fucking warrior? D: