Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

RBP7 [SPOILERS] - The Chronicles of Nyania

So nabaxo, any bets on which turn we'll run into another civ... or be run into by someone? wink

I'm going to be optimistic and hope for T15 (as that would hopefully mean they're a fair distance from us), though I'm expecting it somewhere about T10-12 if not later this turn or next.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

My bet is on likely next turn or the one after that. So turn 9 or 10. We're lucky if we make contact any later.

nabaxo Wrote:My bet is on likely next turn or the one after that. So turn 9 or 10. We're lucky if we make contact any later.
Yeah, I guess I'm being overly optimistic by expecting any longer than that. Oh well, I can hope. tongue

At this stage, with the poor land immediately around us and a sizeable distance to the only half-decent land, I think the only chance we'll have of seriously competing in this game is if it turns out we have a bit of breathing room early on. Realistically that's probably not going to happen though.

Ah well, even if we're likely to never compete with the frontrunners, we can always have fun being a minor-to-mediocre nation harassing the big guys later on. lol
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Incidentally, it seems I was slightly wrong about hut probabilities early on. I forgot that getting experience is impossible in the first 10 turns, and that you never get Warriors in multiplayer. That means that rather than 1/7 odds of a tech early on, we would have had 1/5 odds. So the chance of getting at least one tech given a certain number of early huts is roughly thus:

1 hut - 20%
2 huts - 36%
3 huts - 49%
4 huts - 59%
5 huts - 67%
6 huts - 74%

With 3 huts so far, we should have had pretty much 50/50 odds on getting a tech. So we actually got reasonably unlucky... ah well. Maybe we'll find another one or two yet, though it's looking less likely (as you'll see in the next post).
Lord Parkin

The big news this turn is that we've found a neighbour to the west! While moving the Scout I noticed the outline of an orange border - signifying there's a capital city located 5W of the Gold tile. We haven't officially met them yet, because I figured we may as well not prematurely alert them as to our whereabouts and so moved the Scout away. They'll probably find us soon enough anyway, may as well not rush it if we can help it.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot2354.jpg]

Kind of crap news for our planned Gold city, as that resource is 5 tiles from their capital while it's 8 tiles from ours. Poos. Figures that the only half-decent city location near us is actually nearer to someone else. tongue

Anyway, onto some analysis. Orange borders means it must be either Plako or Team Googly over there. I'm about 95% sure it's Team Googly, for two reasons. Firstly, looking carefully it seems like a slightly lighter shade of orange (i.e. Carthage as opposed to the Netherlands)... though it's admittedly difficult to see.

The better piece of evidence, though, is that we worked out earlier that Plako must have settled on a food resource. The only kinds of food resources you usually want to settle on are Calendar ones - and on a randomly generated map, Banana and Sugar don't usually appear right up next to the tundra (they're usually closer to the middle of the map). It thus seems unlikely that it'd be Plako directly west from us - he's probably much further south in latitude.

Of course, it could be possible that Plako settled on a non-Calendar resource like Corn or Cow, but that's generally a pretty idiotic move and I wouldn't expect that of any of the players here (especially Plako). About the only non-Calendar resource you could justify settling on is unirrigated Rice - and even then it's a bit dubious. So it's not impossible that it's Plako next to us, it just seems highly unlikely relative to it being Team Googly.

Incidentally, if Team Googly is next to us, then the only two Industrious civs on the map will have started right next to one another. Funny coincidence. lol
Lord Parkin

Meiz grew to size 2 this turn - so he can't have gone Worker first (like Plako).

Also - Sunrise, Yuris, and Plako each finished a tech. Judging by the time taken it was probably either Mining or Mysticism for each of them... I'm betting Mining in all cases.

We'll finish our first tech next turn, probably along with a whole bunch of other civs. Animal Husbandry is next on the list.
Lord Parkin

...and it looks like Sunrise just popped a tech this turn. Wonder what he got. If it was Bronze Working he'd be pretty lucky (having presumably just finished Mining this turn). Haven't been keeping tabs on the soldier power enough to know for sure though.

That makes 5/18 civs that have popped techs so far. Starting to feel a bit left out of the club... alright
Lord Parkin

Now I really want that fish/pigs/gems site directly south of us... ;D

nabaxo Wrote:Now I really want that fish/pigs/gems site directly south of us... ;D
Heh, here's to hoping. wink
Lord Parkin

Uh oh! Team Googly posted in their thread! Have they caught us squirting around their borders!? STAY TUNED!