For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

RBP7 [SPOILERS] - The Chronicles of Nyania

One or the other within the BFC? Sure, there's a possibility. Both within the BFC? Very unlikely indeed.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

I never said both. And it might be enough with one or we'll be out of this game very quickly.

Yeah, I know... I was the one musing about both. wink

I think with one of the resources we might be able to make do. It'd be a lot easier with just Copper than just Horse I think, but just Horse would still be much better than nothing. And either Copper or Horse would be far preferable to just Iron (which would add another 15-20 turns to any rush date if it's our only strategic resource).

If we have neither (or even just Iron), we're probably out of this game. But if our situation is that bad, we'd probably appreciate being put out of our misery. tongue Anyway, hopefully that won't eventuate. smile
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Well, if we either get copper or horse + all those forests. We should be able to chop a decent force and hope our neighbors are not prepared to being rushed.

That's the thing though - unless we're lucky and they're unlucky with resources, we'll have to count on them not adequately preparing against getting rushed. In this game with always war and public diplomacy, most civs are probably going to be quite cautious in that respect (or at least they should be)... so it might be a no-win situation for early combat.

Plus, bear in mind that though we have a few forests, others could easily have as many or even more than us - especially with a non-coastal start. Though surprise is a key factor... getting a large enough force together without it being noticed too early can lead to unexpected success. So perhaps there'll be an outside possibility of a first strike going well.

One thought - maybe my past reputation could actually work a bit in our favour, if our neighbours are expecting us to be chasing wonders rather than looking to invade them. wink Or maybe there'll be the opposite effect of them wanting to go in for the kill early on just because it's me. tongue Tough to tell at this point.
Lord Parkin

Well, Team Googly's Scout ran into our Scout over by their capital last turn. So it's confirmed that we have Louis (Cre/Ind) of Carthage (Cothon/Numidian Cavalry) exactly 13 tiles to the west of us. Well, that's who I figured it'd be. On the one hand it's good it's not Plako, as that would mean we'd be next to a high-tier player... but then again, these guys could be pretty good as well, and having a Creative civ next to you is always a pain.

I've played cutthroat multiplayer with twinkletoes89 before, and wasn't particularly impressed - he made some basic mistakes like neglecting to build improvements on power-resources while focussing Worker attention elsewhere. However, it's possible he's improved since then, and he's also playing with a guy I know nothing about (Square Leg). In fact, judging from the "Replies" link, it looks like Square Leg's about twice as active as twinkletoes89, so he may well not only be helping twinkletoes89 out, but leading the team. Guess I'll have to look up some of his past games and see what sort of a player he is.
Lord Parkin

Since Team Googly has now met us, I figured it was no longer necessary to hide from their borders. Moved Rainbow Dash the Scout 2NW as a result.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot2358.jpg]

We'll have to keep an eye out for their Warrior, although as long as we don't get within 2 tiles of the capital we should be okay. Most likely they're keeping their Warrior in their capital for defence like us anyway.

Depending on the route their exploring Scout takes, it seems like it could be as little as 6-10 turns before they encounter our borders... less if they have another unit exploring. Oh well, can't do much about that... unless maybe we send our Warrior a couple of tiles west of the city centre in a few turns to "welcome" him if he gets too close. wink Would probably be tricky to pull off though, likely requiring a double move.

As for our other Scout, Sonic Boom - he'll start exploring south of our capital in two turns. Let's cross our fingers for something worthwhile down there, because there sure as heck isn't much going for us elsewhere.
Lord Parkin

Continuing on to the northwest...

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot2359.jpg]

Ugh... looks like Team Googly netted a flood plains capital, flood plains and oases nearby, as well as more Gold. Not to mention their other food resources to the south. Pretty much the polar opposite of our start. lol Oh well.

Over by our capital - Sonic Boom will head 1SW next turn, then probably 1SE (as it looks like a peak 1SW-1S). Worker ready in 3 turns. Will have a look at foreign techs later on, looks like there's been quite a few researched.

One other thing: Team Googly has met someone else, as evidenced by their 2/4 espionage ratio with us this turn. Wonder who it is... must be to their west or southwest, or they'd have met us too.
Lord Parkin

That rush appears to be more and more of a necessity by now. T_T

Yeah... unless there's something amazing to the south, it looks like we'll have few places left to go and little else to do but go the military route. Let's just hope we have some decent strategic resources around - or that our neighbours have some poor luck in that department (if no others).
Lord Parkin