I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

RB PB7[Spoilers] - Tales of Munky Island

Best Civ/Leader pair:

Team FFH: Hannibal of Mali. Good starting techs (Mining/Wheel), Skirms/Mint are always useful, and Fin/Cha is strong, even if there's basically no synergy between any of his features. No weaknesses is enough to put him on top.

2nd best:

Sunrise: Genghis of Egypt. Similar story, although Obelisks aren't terribly useful without Phi, but War Chariots are MUCH better when double-moves are allowed. Although I'd rather have a leader that really helps push out those WCs if I was rushing someone. Anti-synergy of Agg and Mounted UU.

3rd:

I think I have to go with Nakor/Tatan/Serdoa's Darius of Rome draw. Fishing/Mining is a little weak, and Rome isn't great without Agg (i.e., a Praet Rush is a no go)...but I think that Agg Rome is a red herring.

The Good Tier:
You, although Wheel/Hunting is frustrating with this start. Again, Hatty's good, and Gers have their place (not to mention that you can easily switch into and out of Vassalage/Theo if you want 3-promo mounted units once Gers are up). Keshiks can ALWAYS move 4 units if you pull off a double-move, so there's room for some fun there if you want it.
Slowcheetah's Wang Kon of Inca. Fin + Inca, even w/o Exp and just Pro, is good enough.
Moogle's Peter of England. Compare with our old Sury of England. Sury's better, but not by a whole lot. If he was Peter of Egypt, then I'd be wary of a PBEM4V repeat: based on my opening in that game, I should've won PBEM4V, and not given Krill a chance to build up and blow us all away.
Catwalk's Shaka of the Aztec. Shaka's good, he'll make the Jags a little scarier, and Sacrifical Altars are interesting.
Meiz's Gandhi of the Khmer. He gets to USE his UU, while no else gets WEs (right? I think that's what the rules decided on), and Gandhi is top notch. Hunting/Mining is slow.

Decent:
Lewwyn's Boudica of Korea. Korea's a good civ, and Boudica's an OK leader...but they don't care much for one another's tricks. Hwa'cha are a UU that really don't care what promotions they have.
Pindicator's Lincoln of China. Agri/Mining is too powerful to ignore, and CKNs have some value, although Lincoln himself is a VERY tough leader to play. Maybe Cha helps a little with growing to size 6/7 to run lots of specs for early scientist/prophet?
Xenu's Mao of Native America. Nice synergy, but Exp/Pro is weak long-term, and Native America isn't a civ civ for the long haul, either.
Team Googly's Louis of Carthage (Cothons are rather weak on Pangaea/AW, although Louis himself is solid, and Numids are a sidegrade from Horse Archers, not an upgrade)
Plako's Mehmed of the Netherlands (too slow, Fishing/Mining, no UU/UB until late, and neither's that good on a Pangaea, and Exp/Org is mediocre)
Mack and Seven's Justinian of Germany. Hunting/Mining is weak, Germany is irrelevant, but Spi/Imp is reasonable.
Azza's Washington of the Vikings. Water civ on Pangaea, and Fishing/Hunting for probably the worst tech pair of the lot. But Washington's good.

Worst draw:
18. Team Nyan's FDR of Ethiopia. Ind/Org is almost as bad as it gets, especially in an 18p where there's lots of wonder competition (and 1 other Ind civ who's in much better shape) and Ethiopia doesn't bring that much to the table. +25% culture from your monument helps a little with culture wars, and Oromos will be OK later, but that's it. Oh, and Hunting/Mining to boot.

Nice Ranking!

However, I suspect with all this chaos and 18 players that the victor will be the one who is able to play his cards closest to their chest so to speak. And I think from experience that I can say it will probably be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs-qfcfnsBw
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

antisocialmunky Wrote:Nice Ranking!

However, I suspect with all this chaos and 18 players that the victor will be the one who is able to play his cards closest to their chest so to speak. And I think from experience that I can say it will probably be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs-qfcfnsBw

Aye, I think the gap between leaders isn't insurmountable, but the top three teams also all include proven players in at least the decent-to-good range; I have no idea how good the new RB players will be, of course, although LP seems to have drafted them, so I doubt we'll see too many Adlains this time around.

Adlain wasn't that bad. He stayed in the game until the end and he wasn't in infinipeace with Lard Porkin.

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

antisocialmunky Wrote:Adlain wasn't that bad. He stayed in the game until the end and he wasn't in infinipeace with Lard Porkin.

True, but unlike most of the other players, I would actively refuse to play another game with Adlain in it, because his civ management was so awful.

T1
Popped the hut, grabbed archery.

If someone is close enough I might archer rush him. Actually, I'll go worker archer (since I have nothing to build) and pull the Krill strategy of moving it in 1 direction until I run into a city.

What's the average distance between people on this pangea?

Another idea, since I have hunting already and got a large amount of free net beakers from Archery for free, I could instead grab AH first in 14 turns to coincide with my 14 turn worker. The cow is stronger than the rice anyway. It'd give me more hammers for my archer. I'd then spend the next few turns roading to my rice.... or if the game really likes me.. horses.

This is why sims are important. 5/0 can be better than 4/2. And nice job grabbing Archery. Check other players scores; any 6pt increase is a hut tech.

antisocialmunky Wrote:Another idea, since I have hunting already and got a large amount of free net beakers from Archery for free, I could instead grab AH first in 14 turns to coincide with my 14 turn worker. The cow is stronger than the rice anyway. It'd give me more hammers for my archer. I'd then spend the next few turns roading to my rice.... or if the game really likes me.. horses.

The one advantage of Agri --> AH is it saves you some beakers, but there is one advantage to going AH first, beyond the "might find horses nearby":
The cow gets improved 4t after the worker is produced. The rice takes 6t to improve. That's significant; it takes the rice to 8t post-worker to make up the 2f gained by the cow, and the cow has also produced another 8h in the meantime.

However, I think AH --> Agri --> Mining --> BW is still necessary; you can't grow the capital well on just a 4/2 tile. If horses are in the BFC, then building ONE chariot and hoping to kill someone is worthwhile IMO...but don't nuke your development. This is an 18p game, not an MP Duel. (In an MP duel, I'd be tempted in that case to rush BW as well, and chop out a massive army of chariots to steamroll them).

I think I'm going to go with additional growth since I have nothing to build besides Mr. Archer.