I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Panzersmackdown with Justinian (Mack/Seven)

You can see the moment I realized mids were good between pbem19 (where we built them as an afterthought) and pbem23 (where we focused on them). Part of this was working with Novice; part was thinking about the relative values of yields and typical rates of return in Civ IV and trying to calculate estimates of the relative values of things from that; part of it was realizing that you are a very good player and like mids; part of it was I realized it could get us my beloved astronomy more quickly. wink

To be fair, it also depends on if you can afford to farmers gambit into a competitive amount of land, or if someone has been aggressively settling up to you with sufficient military.

Nicolae Carpathia Wrote:To be fair, it also depends on if you can afford to farmers gambit into a competitive amount of land, or if someone has been aggressively settling up to you with sufficient military.

Or in this case, more of a hunter-gatherer's gambit.

Can we have an update, it's been a while smile
Kalin

kalin Wrote:Can we have an update, it's been a while smile
Kalin

I'm afraid Mack is starting to rub off on him wink

As you wish!

So last turn we settled Gush.
[Image: pb7t79_6.jpg]
With a chop and an already-complete mine, it gets a three-turn workboat and then grows up on fish.

After pumping out that settler, Fastbond is pausing briefly to grow in three turns since we completed the farm that enables this.
[Image: pb7t79_1.jpg]
This also gets out an important chariot - we're keeping a good number of units in the far west and are thus a light on military elsewhere. Case in point, a couple turns ago, a warrior stepped out of the fog and onto the middle of the world's longest road. Our units were out of position to prevent it from subsequently pillaging our gold mine, which was unacceptable, so I had to send out the warrior garrisoning Mind's Desire as bait. We lost the warrior but our gold was saved. (And we got a 5xp axe in return which I hope will take woodsman II and guard the gate.)

So yeah, the chariot will be welcome. Plus it will get us to 31h/turn into settlers which means at least two more in 3t each. They will go here:
[Image: pb7t79_5.jpg]
Self-explanatory really, this site has a few good resource tiles we want to make use of.

And then here:
[Image: pb7t79_4.jpg]
This city will be critical for working cottages for Mind's Desire before Bureaucracy, so Mind's Desire can run scientists.

Here is Mind's Desire for reference. That plains cottage as well as cottages on the three tiles below (borders about to pop) will be serviced by this city.
[Image: pb7t79_8.jpg]

All right, so hopefully lots of peaceful expansion and economic growth in our future. We sure need it as other people already have e.g. Code of Laws and presumably have the land to keep on teching at a much faster rate than ours.

But we also have to contend with possible aggression from the west, from spacetyrantxenu/commodore.
[Image: pb7t79_3.jpg]

People attacking other people to hurt them is a pet peeve of mine. Attack people to take their stuff, dammit! Anyway we don't know if they plan to attack us but they obviously plan to attack someone, as their power is higher than all their neighbors and they don't have a whole lot of stuff to guard. So we are building defenses. Our third major city right now is Black Lotus, which is working as a military pump.
[Image: pb7t79_7.jpg]
I'm hoping we can find a barb warrior for this chariot to kill so it can take sentry. This would give us the best chance of having a good warning of an attack, and informing our force composition.

Btw if you haven't been reading the public thread, well, they have been talking as though they will attack us. Now, following that up by actually attacking us is not the best strategy, it would be better to attack someone else and hopefully surprise them. I don't have much hope for this but in case that is their plan I posted this in the public thread:

Quote:Commodore/Xenu, put down the army and back slowly out of our culture. We don't need to trade stacks. (Yes we were expecting this attack and are prepared, what did you think would happen?)

which is obviously completely fabricated but could perhaps help them by causing the other players to let their guard down.

Here are demographics, pretty good.
[Image: pb7t79_2.jpg]

Commodore Wrote:So Seven, looking in-game...ah, if you see units in your culture, those aren't ours. Unless you're talking about the dog, chariot, and worker preparing for the city on our side of the mountains we're about to settle for the wheat...um, okay.

SevenSpirits Wrote:I know that Commodore, I've just been trying to give you cover in case you were planning to attack one of your neighbors. I can see quite well you have no units in our land.

Alert level: high.

They are coming, as i said you in our chats Seven was a bad thibg to let Commodore to team up with spacentruxu, becasue for sure Comm doesnt love me.Because of the inevitable atack i took chrage and change the things :
1.Capitol build a chariot, the chariot from capitol tryes to take care about barb wariuor.
2.All units near BL were retreated in the city so them gain some fortify bonus,an axeman was started so can be doublewhiped next turn.
3.Axeman started in MD, i put in him just 4 production so we can double whip that too, i think will produce an axe and a chariot.
4.In grith monolith started sperman.

After theyr power and seeing how low they are in pop I think Comm just want to do us some harm, and he will do so.I expect to see between 12- 15 units , and of course they will go bankrupt once they are in our teritory.Man this one the most irational atacks i ever seen.

I want to get a second spear in black lotus becasue if he has many chariots a lucky batle can damge the spear and the units are open to those pesky chariots.

In 3 turns we can get wall too in Black lotus(remeber the forest which i was keen to keep for building good stuff in MD), I think we will be forced to chop it to get walls.

Something is wrong with this picture:

[Image: pb7t80_1.jpg]

That's right: the horses are OUTSIDE the pasture!

Also those enemy units are quite annoying. (That is 6 dogs, 3 spears, 3 chariots and 2 workers.) We had a couple options to whip from scratch but I think I'm declining to use them. It might get us one more unit by t83 but probably then fewer units on the following turns.

We have 4 units in the city. One more axe can reach there in two turns (t82), and another axe and chariot on t83. The axe we whip in MD can also reach there t83. Meanwhile we will complete a unit on both t81 and t82. So start of t83: 7 units, and as soon as we can log in and move, 3 or 4 more. At that point (after moving in units) I expect we'd be able to catch our breath.

There appear to be 12 invaders (several of which were shown to us unnecessarily - they could have stayed on the wheat) but there could be more coming at the same speed as the slower stack, and chariots even further behind or faster.

One thing I did do is switch tech to archery, due in 2t. And I've continued to try to glean more of our assailants' plans by posting accusatory stuff in the trash-talking thread. That is what it's for, right?

What can i say ouch,he won both combats against our shock axes....,