For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

--Dogpilers click here-- (PB7 Player Communication Thread)

I think it's fine and a neat idea. The only issue I can see is that you've publicly said you won't ever attack anyone who doesn't have a bounty on them.

Quote:9) The Bounty Hunter may not attack any civ that does not have a bounty placed upon it unless they are within the hunter's culture.
Of course it could be that this is a ploy to make your opponents without bounties on them feel safe before you strike, in which case that's fine. But if you really intend never to declare war on someone if they haven't got a bounty on them, that perhaps strains the stated goal of the game:

plako Wrote:Courtecy to other players:
[...] don’t give anyone freebies
Stating that you won't attack someone due to a public metagame variant - and intending to follow through with it - is arguably a pretty big freebie for them. wink

Why not tweak it slightly so that you get points from everyone, but each bounty placed gives you a 100% multiplier? So you automatically get 1x points from everyone, but if someone places a bounty you get 2x points, and if two people place them you get 3x points. Just a thought anyway... that might fix the issue. smile
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Lewwyn Wrote:frown

It was just going to be a game for me and the lurkers but I got a suggestion to open it to the players since we have this open diplo thread. And weren't you the one who suggested players only?

It's fine if you don't want to participate. There's no reason you have to participate. But don't act like I'm out to destroy the game or make everything unfun for you. It really hurts me when you suggest that.

This is actually more work for me, and I put a lot of effort into this, but I thought it would be fun for everyone.

Well I pointed out that lurkers aren't allowed to,* but the players on the other hand are allowed to.

I don't mean to rain on your parade man. frown I think the bounty hunting is a fun idea, and I don't want to stop you doing it. That's why I only said that I'm planning to ignore it, and didn't ever suggest you not do it at all. I don't think you're going to destroy the game either. wink Sorry for being a downer. I guess I let a bit of frustration at being targeted already, when our start is going to put us quite a few turns behind most everyone else, seep in a little. All I wanted to say was: I think I'm not going to participate, because it looks like this is going to generate a lot more diplo than I wanted to deal with.

* And I don't think this is an arbitrary rule we should do away with even though it's a fun game. It's a critical part of having good reporting, that the information you post in your own thread can't ever be used against you.

Even if SevenSpirits was trying to stop you, its not like he can control what you do in your own spoiler thread. tongue

Remember kids, its just a game, for fun. tongue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...o5-XpQ5Jkk
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

I think we have our first PYFT dogpile target...

I personally hope everyone will take this thread for what I think it's intended to be: both everyone in-play and everything non-binding. I'm not going to tailor my game around the bounty hunter idea, nor am I going to argue against it. But if I were the bounty hunter in question here I'd not take criticism as an out-of-game critique but rather an in-character in-game public posting.

For all those who think we need to play the first turn as fast as possible just for their enjoyment:

1. I play this game for my enjoyment.
2. I play it for the enjoyment of my teammates.

Nowhere in their will you find me playing for your enjoyment. If I should do, pay me for playing. If you don't want that, simply accept that I won't delay any game unnecessarily but that I also won't end a turn early if our team hasn't finally decided on everything which needs to be decided. Because that would destroy my enjoyment.

And for gods sake guys, it is the fucking first turn of this game where you have to decide on tech, build, settling. Is it really asked so much to simply like... wait? I am happy for all of you with an Agri, Mining start with double grassland gems, double wet corn but not everyone is as lucky and some of us might have to discuss how to go on and actually micromanage their shit.

(Yes I am upset, because that is not what I am used to from RB and none of you is my boss, so none of you should feel inclined to tell me how fast I have to "work"...)

regoarrarr Wrote:I'm pretty sure that is code for "+1 bounty to SevenSpirits and HitAnyKey" lol

Are you sure you aren't playing?

Lord Parkin Wrote:I think it's fine and a neat idea. The only issue I can see is that you've publicly said you won't ever attack anyone who doesn't have a bounty on them.

Stating that you won't attack someone due to a public metagame variant - and intending to follow through with it - is arguably a pretty big freebie for them. wink

Well, if you know me... If I want to attack someone, I'll find a way to do it. I do have a personal bounty for this reason.

Also this is a variant and its sort of what RB was founded on. I was looking to create a role and follow through with it. I wanted to create a little variant play. Doesn't mean I can't do everything like normal, I just have to go through certain hoops.

SevenSpirits Wrote:I don't mean to rain on your parade man. frown I think the bounty hunting is a fun idea, and I don't want to stop you doing it. That's why I only said that I'm planning to ignore it, and didn't ever suggest you not do it at all. I don't think you're going to destroy the game either. wink Sorry for being a downer. I guess I let a bit of frustration at being targeted already, when our start is going to put us quite a few turns behind most everyone else, seep in a little. All I wanted to say was: I think I'm not going to participate, because it looks like this is going to generate a lot more diplo than I wanted to deal with.

See that's not as bad. Generating diplo is a bad thing for me too. Thats why the Bounty system is awesome. I don't control the bounties beyond my own. And I might have been in a weird place too since I hadn't slept in 26 hours.

Ilios Wrote:I think we have our first PYFT dogpile target...

+1

sunrise089 Wrote:I personally hope everyone will take this thread for what I think it's intended to be: both everyone in-play and everything non-binding. I'm not going to tailor my game around the bounty hunter idea, nor am I going to argue against it. But if I were the bounty hunter in question here I'd not take criticism as an out-of-game critique but rather an in-character in-game public posting.

Point taken.
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

sunrise089 Wrote:I personally hope everyone will take this thread for what I think it's intended to be: both everyone in-play and everything non-binding. I'm not going to tailor my game around the bounty hunter idea, nor am I going to argue against it. But if I were the bounty hunter in question here I'd not take criticism as an out-of-game critique but rather an in-character in-game public posting.

Well said. This is just an in-game playground. Role playing is the way to go. Trying to interpret the latest messages. This is probably what just happened wink.

SevenSpirits: "I don't want to have anything to do with the dirty Bounty hunting business."
Lewwyn: "Fair enough. I'll offer my services elsewhere."

Main problem with the Bounty hunting with current format is that there is no legitimate way to pay Lewwyn for his services so the Bounties are artificial. Lurkers really can't give them since that will start to affect the game too much. Maybe instead of anyone directly giving you the bounties you could assign them randomly. For every nation you meet you generate a random number between 0-10 and there is your bounty. You can reveal this publicly or keep it in your thread. To make it a bit more flexible maybe you could re-randomizes the bounties every now and then and maybe but a weight factor on how close the opponent is or your personal preference or whatever feels good for you.

plako Wrote:Main problem with the Bounty hunting with current format is that there is no legitimate way to pay Lewwyn for his services so the Bounties are artificial. Lurkers really can't give them since that will start to affect the game too much. Maybe instead of anyone directly giving you the bounties you could assign them randomly. For every nation you meet you generate a random number between 0-10 and there is your bounty. You can reveal this publicly or keep it in your thread. To make it a bit more flexible maybe you could re-randomizes the bounties every now and then and maybe but a weight factor on how close the opponent is or your personal preference or whatever feels good for you.

I do like this idea. And If we play this format again, which I suspect we will, I may in fact do this. For now I'd like to give the current format a shot and see how it plays out over the course of the game.
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

And patience please. I'm pretty certain that after 20T most of the turns will take full 24h and it is alright to use it fully. It is polite to end turns when you're finished, but it seems these gues still need to talk so no harm there either.

Also Lord Parkin you're not qualified to complain about ending turns after PB4 wink.