I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Four Score & Seven Dynasties Ago: Pindicator plays Lincoln of China

pindicator Wrote:And on a personal note, I have found employment! dance Only part time, but it's in the office of a solar & wind power company, so I can feel like I'm helping to save the world while I fight with the printer.

Congrats :b:
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Turn 057

Not much going on out west, so here's the east:

[Image: pb7-turn057-theeast.jpg]

The axe took care of the barbarian warrior, without a scratch. The scout i moved north to the forested hill. It should have good odds against the lion and we can give it a promotion to heal it up quick after it wins. It better win.

Meanwhile, we're back to last place in GNP, but we make exactly enough to pull in Hunting this turn. Next turn we're on to Writing.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Turn 059

I joined the 4-city club. I'm at least keeping track of cities this early since that's easy to tell from civstats. If they gained points in the middle of a turn it's either going to be a bulb or a city. Too early for bulbs, so the 4-city club should consist of sunrise, me, mackseven, sleepingmoogle, & yuri.

[Image: pb7-turn059-lands.jpg]

So here's my question: where do I expand to now? I think the answer has to be north. I need to get a good border city with sunrise, but I don't know where to put it. The desert hill NW of the horses seems the best defensive spot, except if I continue to settle into those floodplains then he can fork cities. Or I can press farther NW and just piss him off with an aggressive city plant. Btw, I didn't screenshot the graph, but I think sunrise is #1 in power along with being #1 in crop yield. So pissing him off is not something I want to do.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Quote:If they gained points in the middle of a turn it's either going to be a bulb or a city.

Or a hut tech. Or a city capture. Or a shrine. Or a corporation HQ founded. Or..... okay that's about it. lol

regoarrarr Wrote:Or a hut tech. Or a city capture. Or a shrine. Or a corporation HQ founded. Or..... okay that's about it. lol

tongue How about changing it to being founding a city, popping a hut, and anything great person related? Although it should be pretty easy to determine between a city being captured (corresponding decrease from another player), a city being founded (1 pop increase is 2 or 3 points), a tech being popped/bulbed (6/12/18/24/etc pts based on era), or a corporation/shrine being founded (16 pts for wonder).
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Turn 060

So I've decided to delay settling to the north. I've just finished a pair of granaries and I'm going to grow my best cities now and delay founding up north by 5 or 6 turns. So instead of having a settler in place on turn 67, it's going to be a pair of settlers on turns 71 & 72. I'll probably settle north on the desert hill, and the other settler will go to the filler location near Piranha Plant. In the meantime I'm making spears, because I have Egypt as a neighbor.

Demos. This is the first time I've really started to work cottage tiles.

[Image: pb7demos-turn060.jpg]
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Turn 061

Here's what I mean when I talk about delaying settlers. I have 3 excellent cities right now, and one that will be a pretty good hammer city / unit pump. I've got screenshots of the capital and Piranha, because they both have granaries now. So instead of halting growth right after I get my granary built in the name of a settler that is going to found a city with no food bonuses, I'm going to grow to happy cap now and take advantage of the food bonuses + granary situation I have in these two cities:

[Image: pb7-turn061-goomba.jpg]

[Image: pb7-turn061-piranha.jpg]

In the east, I'm exploring out more land, but the progress has been slow due to needing to heal. And I've yet to find something worth settling that far east for. I'm risking my Wood2 warrior to push out a bit, but I should have about an 80% chance if the lion attacks. The scout is healing up and should be moving out again in a few turns. The axe won't go far; I just want to get some sight for approaching barbarians or moogles. Also, the rice farm at Spiny just finished; those workers are going to chop both forests into a granary. I'm not going to rush out a monument here for the horses; I'll be able to hook them up just as fast with city #5 up north.

[Image: pb7-turn061-theeast.jpg]

So far this means my food has climbed back to the top spot in demos, my GNP is starting to look respectable. Of course #1 is sunrise, he of riverside gems (or so the story goes).

[Image: pb7demos-turn061.jpg]

Internationally, sunrise is still pumping up the power, but I think he has a threat. Rome gained 16 points at the turn rollover. First thought was he built a wonder, but unless he has gone for a fast Moai no world wonders were finished in the event log. So instead I think it's a classical tech and change. So if he picks up Iron Working then I can feel a bit more secure that sunrise is goign to be worried about praetorians from his west rather than sending war chariots southeast towards me.

[Image: pb7turn061-powergraph.jpg]

Speaking of Power, what's up with Lewwyn? What happened to Mr. Bounty Hunter? Is that all a ruse just to get us to be on his good side while he tries a farmer's gambit amid 18 players.

Edit: It just dawned on me that sunrise must have Iron Working; that's a large part of his power spike. Makes sense with all the jungle I saw up north.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Stupid misclicks! banghead
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

pindicator Wrote:Stupid misclicks! banghead

...details?

I just lost a worker turn. I have this habit of leaning a little hard on the right-mouse key sometimes and this time I did it with my worker selected. Luckily I only moved him one tile, so I just moved him back to the forest he was supposed to be chopping. Even more lucky is that it doesn't look like this will cost me in growth or in any timings. But it was just frustrating, especially since in a SP game I would have just reloaded to the start of the turn? smile
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player