I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Four Score & Seven Dynasties Ago: Pindicator plays Lincoln of China

Turn 020

The neat thing about all the score increases this turn is that I'm able to retroactively see how many land tiles are in the starting 9 for each person who settled on the first turn. Plako, Nakor, Team Googly, Catwalk, Spacetyrantxenu, Team Nyan, ASM, and Yuris125/Commodore were the teams that settled on the first turn. They got scores that corresponded to the following land tile increases:
  • plako: 7
  • nakor: 8
  • team googly: 9
  • catwalk: 8
  • spacetyrantxenu: 9
  • team nyan: 7
  • antisocialmunky: 7
  • yuris/commodore: 9
What does this give us from a practical standpoint? Not a whole lot, but it was a slow turn lol

With my second warrior finished, my northern warrior is scouting out a bit more. Perhaps I should have built a scout instead of a warrior. I'm working on my 3rd warrior right now while I grow to size 3.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

pindicator Wrote:What does this give us from a practical standpoint? Not a whole lot, but it was a slow turn lol

Well depending on how much you want to account for the possibility of someone having a lake tile in their starting 9, it can tell you which civs have coastal capitals, which could have SOME value, I guess...

regoarrarr Wrote:Well depending on how much you want to account for the possibility of someone having a lake tile in their starting 9, it can tell you which civs have coastal capitals, which could have SOME value, I guess...

That's true. I suppose it would be good to know if Vikings had a coastal capital, especially since I'm so close to the ocean. Then again, since it's AW I think we need to worry more about our direct neighbors. Which is just SleepingMoogle so far (but does he have a nice capital!)
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Turn 021

Here are two attempts at dot-mapping what I know:

[Image: pb7-turn021-dotmap1.jpg]

[Image: pb7-turn021-dotmap2.jpg]

This isn't easy land to plan for. So far my plans have been to settle to the south first, but one of the best spots around is easily site 'D' in both maps, so maybe I should pick the rice/cow up first? And I'm thinking about splitting up the massive food combine in the south, since the first dotmap wastes some good tiles by the sheep. (Granted I could just put the sheep city there even with the original idea for the south.)

The north needs more exploration to determine if it's worth going for, and so I sent my warrior upwards.... right beside a lion. Man, today has been a bad day for impulsive decision-making. Let's hope he survives.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

A and C are good because they can share capital tiles if/when needed. I think that's pretty strong. Planting a pink dot city out in D in an AW game seems.... dicey.

Where are your neighbors?

Yeah, I really should have kept the same letter for the same locations on the two maps... But I am debating between A & B as they are on the first map. If I go with 'A' then my tech path will likely be:

Bronze Working -> Wheel -> Pottery (-> Mysticism?) (-> Hunting?) -> AH -> Writing

Right now I have the worst GNP in the game, and with no bonus tiles around to improve it, I think I need to get Pottery ASAP for granaries and to start laying down cottages. After Pottery, I am going to need a way to pop borders for city A to pick up the wheat and the sheep, but then again maybe I won't need that as much as I will need to get AH down for my second city. Hunting would get me the deer, but is it worth delaying AH over?

And then I would settle 'B' next because it is on the way to 'D'. B would be game-long unit pump once it got going, and 'D' would be a great all-around city, but largely used as a cottage farm early on.

Or! I could move 'A' to the northeast 1 tile, so it is right beside the sheep. Then I'd need to grab the wheat and the deer with another city, but this would make sure I don't need to put beakers into Mysticism right away.

regoarrarr Wrote:Where are your neighbors?

Sleeping Moogle is about 10 tiles NE of 'D', but with peaks and a desert between us I don't expect him to expand in my direction soon. Lewwyn's the only other person I've met and I have no idea where his capital is. Likely to the NE of moogle based on how his scout came in.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Turn 022

I could curse the RNG, but I really just have my poor judgment to blame. Never should have put the warrior in such a position

[Image: pb7-turn022-warriordies.jpg]
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Turn 023

[Image: pb7-turn023-sleepingmoogle.jpg]

Dang that's a nice capital you have, moogle. Oh, is that your corn I'm standing on? My bad

Edit: Now I know the tech SleepingMoogle researched on turn 12. Agriculture! I bet he's doing Bronze Working right now.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Turn 024

Moogle chased away my scout with a warrior named 'Marine'. Somebody's been playing starcraft... Guess what I found up by moogle? THREE sources of bronze, all within 4 tiles of his capital. So i think sending an axe or a chariot to harass moogle is off the table.

And I didn't show this last turn, but my warrior back home went toe to toe with a bear. My guy was fortified on a forested plains hill, and while I didn't think I'd be that unlucky as to lose another battle in the 20% range, I was a bit nervous at opening things up this turn. He lives with 1/2 life. We should call him Morgan Freeman.

This turn we grew to size 3, and switched to get our 2nd worker out. Our first worker moved to a forest to chop; this will get worker #2 out with with chop in 3 turns.

I decided to stick with my original plan of settling south first. Mostly because of this:

[Image: pb7demos-turn024.jpg]

See that GNP figure? Yeah, we need to get some cottages down pronto because everybody else has better natural commerce around their starting area. So we're teching Pottery after Wheel, and then probably Mysticism. But I'm still not sold on what comes after Pottery. Besides cottages.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Awesome thread name.
Active in:
FFH-20: Jonas Endain of the Clan of Embers
EITB Pitboss 1: Clan/Elohim/Calabim with Mardoc and Thoth