For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] RB PB7 LURKER Thread

Kyan Wrote:I still have nightmares about pitboss 3...

Oh man that was the worst.

Darrell

darrelljs Wrote:This is what I think happened:

1. LP logged in early in the turn, and saw Azza hadn't moved. He waited.
2. Azza logged in and played his turn (not defending the decision to settle a city, that was silly).
3. LP saw that, logged in and made his move about half way through the timer.
4. The turn rolled, and as soon as possible LP logged in and played his turn.
5. Azza logged in at his normal playing time and saw LP had moved twice and had a fit.

There is basically nothing Azza can do to avoid this if he plays the turn at the same time every day. LP was under no obligation to wait for Azza to play, indeed I give him kudos for not delaying step #3 until everyone else had played so he could guarantee the double move. That said, given past events it would have been prudent to give Azza more time to play his turn.

Darrell

Yep, exactly this. (Woo hoo, I agree with Darrell.) lol

Gaspar Wrote:(Woo hoo, I agree with Darrell.) lol

You sound happy, but I'm fairly certain this is a harbinger of the apocalypse smile.

Darrell

Lots of criticism of Azza's defense here early on. Really guys?? He teched archery earlier than most here would. He built an archer earlier than most here would. And even had he been paranoid and built 2 archers before settler, that's what we were planning for and that's why we brought 4 axes. Instead we faced one archer and only because of this did we divert one axe to kill the warrior - because we were tracking his builds and knew we would be OK without it. If he had just built archers, we would have just moved in with all the axes, and the warrior wouldn't even be an issue harassing our capital because we could kill it by razing his only city.

Azza did not play perfectly maybe, but he gave a better defense than I expect I would have. (I would be playing risky in a big game like this.)

I know, I think I sorta overstepped myself with the criticism. Yeah, I would have played more risky as well, and instead respond to the power spike. Azza did fine.

Rowain Wrote:Is logging in once a day an explanatin why he would settle a city on undefended terrain knowing that there is a big stack of enemy units near by? He knew about LP's stack. That had parked several turns inside his teritory.
And he conceded in his post that LP would have gotten the city anyway.

Again it is my impression as outsider that the motivation of his move (and rant) is questionable but I do retract the word stupid.

I knew he had a stack, but he wasn't using it. He just let it sit in my lands, and as soon as I moved my stack towards him he retreated. I'd also seen a handful of cats and maces, but I supposed I'd rationalised it to myself that he'd only attack in self-defence. I didn't believe my city plant was really a threat to him, I only built it because I'd put up a sign in my empire planning to build a city there if I ever got the chance. I figured it was some (very small) success that I proved myself wrong. Sure, it was razed, but I still built it.

Also, in hindsight, I realised I wasn't paying any attention since I thought he'd have to attack from flat ground. I'd completely forgot about the northern forest somehow. So I was planning on hitting any stack that came in with catapults and everything, since I'd been logging in before LP for a few turns before that. Of course, the turn rolled a bit earlier, and LP had logged in before the turn even rolled, so that never had a chance.

There was no strategical benefit to the move, but I wasn't really caring for strategical benefit. I just wanted to lift Mongolia out from being the bottom civ.