For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] RB PB7 LURKER Thread

regoarrarr Wrote:Will be interested to see if anyone does much C&D on this game. It's tough to do with this many people, but it's definitely possible from civstats / score to tell that slowcheetah and ASM popped huts from techs

How many beakers does a hut cost? lol

Certainly nice to get a free tech. So many games have huts off precisely to avoid the imbalance, it is rather refreshing to just throw balance to the winds and see what kind of chaos can result.

FWIW, if I were in sunrises position I'd probably go Worker>warrior>settler at size 4 (slaved for 2 pop) and settle for the clams+2gold site. I'd go Mining>BW>Fishing>AH.

The second city would need basically 4 worker turns for roads for a trade route and 5 turns for a gold mine, and could use the capital gold while building the wb so the capital could focus on regrowing. No need to get a second worker out early.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Worker/Worker. First Worker farms the two Corns (only road is maybe the one north of the city tile, as its essentially free). Second Worker roads the Gold then they gang up on the Mine. After that I'd go Warrior until size 4, then whip a Settler. Tech path Mining/BW/AH.

Of course, I can't see the Clams/Gold(x2) site, I just see the capital. So I might be wrong.

Darrell

I think you are wrong. By eot T30 you can have the clams city down, just researched fishing eot t30, size 2 and 1 turn from the second worker. And the gold has only just been hooked.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

I like the Cow/Copper/Floodplains city better as #2 because a) it overlaps a food resrouce and better leverages capital culture, and b) you have enough food at the capital to work the gold. That said, the clams/gold city will certainly help commerce more.

Darrell

The offhand comment about circumnav had me look at the map again. I THINK it should be possible with land only, but it will be difficult. The best odds would be the two people on the edges, which are Tatan / Nakor / Serdoa and....

(wait for it)

(wait for it)

Mack and Seven lol

Yeah but... With alwas war and barbs, the odds is actually making it across land alive are basically zero.

regoarrarr Wrote:I THINK it should be possible with land only, but it will be difficult.

I'm sure an overland Circmnav is possible, but I think Carthage or Etheopia would get it faster if thy pushed 2 early fishboats.

Howver, I don't think the bonus will be huge here like it was in 19. No inland sea or toroid wraps means no hyperforking apportunities. Even knowing the map, would 2 early fihboats be worth it?

Ceiliazul Wrote:I'm sure an overland Circmnav is possible, but I think Carthage or Etheopia would get it faster if thy pushed 2 early fishboats.

Howver, I don't think the bonus will be huge here like it was in 19. No inland sea or toroid wraps means no hyperforking apportunities. Even knowing the map, would 2 early fihboats be worth it?

No. Not on a pangaea with 17 opponents. Its not that circumnavigation doesn't still have value, its that there are better uses of resources. If I was playing remotely seriously I'd be focused on carving out my slice of land above all else.

Anyway, the game certainly seems quite breezy and fun right now. I doubt that will last, of course. I particularly enjoyed 7 and LPs bit of fake diplo.
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

A 18 player Pitboss game?!? I fully expect this to be a repeat of PB3 including the premature ending, minus the mess of diplomacy. I'll probably just be lurking this thread as there's no way I can keep up with 18 threads worth of posts for one game.