Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Land of Chaos - HitAnyKey

All that jungle - makes any site down there seem rough. I probably would settle 1SE of the iron - sealing the border and getting some defense with the river.
--
Best dating advice on RB: When you can't hide your unit, go in fast and hard. -- Sullla

waterbat Wrote:All that jungle - makes any site down there seem rough. I probably would settle 1SE of the iron - sealing the border and getting some defense with the river.

Yeah, I'm really not liking the whole jungle thing, but I'm pretty much hampered by jungle everywhere....and desert to my north.
If I were to settle the river, I would have thought 1E of the iron would have been better, since it would possibly get the eventual use of those Bananas over there. I'm not sure what benefit 1SE gets me, other than one less peak and two coastal tiles.... huh
Also, 1E also gets me one additional grassland hill.

Anyway, with these new thoughts coming into my head, I've done yet another flip-flop of my plans. Yeah, no plan of mine seems to remain in place for more than a few turns. LOL
I was gonna put out a quick Monument in PoD since I was planning on doing a bunch of growing in that city and the +1 happy from it was going to help. But instead, I'm going to put out that Sword now (while growing), and then crank out a settler. I'll start roading through the jungle, send the sword ahead to scare off that Archer of plako's, and also in 2 turns send the axe/spear down that way as well. No longer need to keep it right up against plako's city. I just won't be ready to attack anytime soon, even though now would theoretically be the best time before he gets metal. (I'm just not good at war-mongering planning, obviously)
The settler should be out in just a few turns, so it'll following along and hopefully the appropriate protection and roads will be in place in a timely manner. Hopefully by then I'll have fully decided on the location for the city. smoke
I should also make some sort of different plan for after Writing now as well, since HBR won't be a priority anymore. I'll look at that next turn. I have a few to make a decision.

If you plant where it says city, you get 2 hammers - one for the city, one for the forest. Or one for the city, one for the jungle hill, which you can clear.

AutomatedTeller Wrote:If you plant where it says city, you get 2 hammers - one for the city, one for the forest. Or one for the city, one for the jungle hill, which you can clear.

Not to mention chopping the forest

Could you elaborate on your post in the diplo thread here in the privacy of your own thread? smile

Oh, it's pretty simple really (though I'll give a bit more detail and maybe some screeshots tonight after I get home from work). I want to settle that city west of the river (still leaning towards 1E of the Iron, since down where that forest is my archer has spotted a second Fish out in the ocean. So a future city there would be a perfect Moai city.
And I want to spend a bit more concentration on infrastructure right now instead of just pumping out tons of military. I suppose if I put out nothing but Swords & Chariots right now I might be able to get enough to kill that city of his (since he apparently still doesn't have copper yet). But he gets Iron Working in 2 (or 3) turns, and with my luck he'll have Iron on one of those tiles in the fog by his cities and he'll be able to get out enough Swords himself to protect the city.

Basically, I don't have enough population to keep whipping out military. I need to get all of my cities to grow to at least 4 or 5. And that will take awhile for most of them, do to lack of good food production.

Ya'll will still need to wait until tonight for details with pictures, as I just logged in from work during my lunch hour and spending time doing pictures from the laptop and such would just take too much time.
However, here's a bit more of an update. And you can get a pretty good visual from the picture above. The jungle NE of Mt Whacko now has a road (and an archer sitting on the two workers there). My Sword is currently sitting in Mt Whacko. My settler in PoD is 3 turns from completion, but I have a forest that will be getting chopped next turn which will hopefully be enough to finish it (I'll actually do the math tonight).
The Axe/Spear from next to Rotterdam have been making their way south (plako also moved two archers onto the Gems, as I expected he would, for his getting IW next turn which he'll then put workers there to chop/mine). It's just not worth trying to keep my units there indefinitely when they would be more useful elsewhere. Right now they are in the jungle north of the Iron. My archer over there is currently in the jungle East of plako's archer. He'll remain there until it's time to move onto the grass next to the iron.
Next turn the workers&archer move East onto the jungle hill. Turn after that they make the road. Turn after that, they'll be able to move onto the iron and make that road.
By that time the settler will already be on it's way and if timing works out, the same turn the Iron road is built, the settler will be able to pass right over it to found the city.

What plako does with his fortified archer, will decide what my other units do. My sword can't kill it (or at least the odds are highly against him). So if it stays there even after I make my city, I'll use my axe to suicide against it to weaken it, and then use my sword to kill it. But that's still at least 4-5 turns away from needing a decision.

Next turn I also get Writing (even at 0% research, as I just ran out of money). So as soon as that Settler is made in PoD, I'll crank out a Library. I'll then try to get a Library in Hard Knocks, since it's culture will be fighting with the culture of Rotterdam (which I can see got a monument a couple turns before my city did).

Well, that's about all I have for now. More tonight (or tomorrow) after there are better pictures.

You might want to run some tests in worldbuilder, see if a suicide archer will do an adequate job reducing his archer, since archers cost less than axes.

AutomatedTeller Wrote:You might want to run some tests in worldbuilder, see if a suicide archer will do an adequate job reducing his archer, since archers cost less than axes.

Yeah, I suppose I can try that. I've never really done much in the way of worldbuilder stuff or worldbuilder tests.

Do I simply start a game, go into WB to create the needed terrain & a bunch of units, and then just do a bunch of attacks? Anything else I should do during the game setup? Or other such stuff like that?

Quote:Do I simply start a game, go into WB to create the needed terrain & a bunch of units, and then just do a bunch of attacks? Anything else I should do during the game setup? Or other such stuff like that?

Yeah pretty much.

Just remember to check "Random seed on reload", so that if you save and reload you get different results