Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Land of Chaos - HitAnyKey

Cyneheard Wrote:Could you also explain why you're ordering your worker's tile improvements the way you are?

Well, I debated back and forth with myself multiple times. I almost farmed the corn as my first thing, but changed my mind kinda last minute or so. I probably should have done the farm first, especially since I could have it gotten started the same turn the worker was made instead of using that turn to move to the floodplain. But I really wanted to get that cottage started (and growing to Village) as quickly as possible, to get me the extra gold for research. I want to get to Bronze Working & then Iron Working as quickly as I can to find out which of my hills hopefully have metal near my city.
I've already decided to go do that farm before the mine, while I'm working on Bronze Working. Hopefully by that time, I'll have some Copper visible to then pick where to Mine.

Just uploading the picture before I head off to work. I'll do a more detailed update after I get to the office.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG]

For starters though, I found Lord Parkin's scout. His scout is heading NE, and since I know he didn't come from my lands I suppose there must be some sort of small connection between landmasses over in the fog to the west where he probably came from.

My warrior is now going to circle back along the mountains to finish fog-busting the area where I want my second city. I have 3 potential sites for it, but the final decision will probably come down to if there is copper over there and none by my capital.

My worker is doing farming the corn, which will be done in 5 turns. He'll then go mine that hill while I wait for BW to be finished. Then he'll start chopping all the trees I got around me.

Additional update details now that I'm at work, taking my lunch break. smile

Next turn I grow to Pop 2, and my Warrior gets built for being the home-guard. I'll be building a scout next to replace the one that had been killed. When he's completed, he'll head on up to where LP came from to go explore that part of the continent. I think I'll have Bubba (the currently wandering warrior) actually make his return trip coming down the east side of that mountain range, eventually ending up in the area where I'll want my second city. By then I'll have a clearer picture of where I want that city, and will hopefully have been able to start on (or finish) the settler for it.

If I have Copper within city-range (of either my capital or in a good place for the new city), then I'll need to decide where I go for my next tech. Otherwise, I might need to go straight for Iron Working...though maybe getting Archery or AH first might be better if I have no copper. Will need defenses in case plako gets copper and decides to come my way with some axes.

I still can't believe that this far into the game not a single person has gotten a religion. Boggles my mind. Guess everyone that had Mysticism (and those that didn't) felt that too many people would go for those techs and decided it was not worthwhile.
I almost wonder if I should go for Mysticism after BW (if nothing else, I'll be able to build Monuments). Then after Mysticism decide if going for one of the religion techs might be an option if no one else has still gotten it by then.

HitAnyKey Wrote:I still can't believe that this far into the game not a single person has gotten a religion. Boggles my mind.

Usually worker-techs and resource-techs are more important than religion.

So as seen in the public thread, my warrior was up near the northern tip of the mountain range when he ran into a lion. This turn the lion attacked and Bubba survived with 1.2/2 health, getting 1xp. This turn I moved towards the forest at the tip of the mountains, and I've already automated him to move into the forest next turn where he'll heal for the next 4 turns. Hopefully in the forest he'll be safe enough that Xenu won't send a warrior of his own down to kill him. I'm pretty sure the forest defense bonus should be plenty enough.

Just 4 more turns until my farm is done, 5 turns until my city grows, 6 until my scout is built & 6 (I think) until my Cottage becomes a Hamlet. BW is currently 13 (I think) turns away, but I assume I'll get it before then based on the extra gold from the Hamlet.

After I grow, I'll start work on another worker with my 3 tiles producing 11 food. I was originally gonna do a settler, but I think the second worker will be more important right now for mining&chopping, and then the road to the next city.

Now that I'm home with the game up, I'm able to grab a couple screenie's and do a more detailed update. Here's the scoop:

Up in the north, is simple. Bubba has now moved out of the desert and into the forest where he'll heal for the next 4 turns. Plus I see xenu's border, so I at least now know exactly where he is.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG]

Down below is a bit more data. George will be finishing the Farm in 2 turns, which will change my currently pending growth in 5 turns to maybe growth in 4 turns. After the farm, I currently have a road queued up, but that's mostly just on the off chance I don't get online this weekend to play a turn in time.
The scout will be completed in 6 turns, after which another worker will be started.
The Cottage will turn to a Hamlet in 5 turns, so that should help speed along BW which currently is 11 turns away. Once I get the second worker done, I'll probably go straight into making the Settler, chopping and whipping to get him out as appropriate.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG]

Still not 100% sure which tech I'll go for after BW. I suppose it'll come down to where I see copper. But since I currently have plenty of techs for worker actions, I'm half tempted to get Mysticism after BW and then see where I go from there.

Ok, time for a big massive update. I also took a lot of screenie's this turn.

First up, the simple stuff. George has finished the Sugar Farm this turn, plus I grew to Size 4. That puts me now at the top of the "Food" chain.
With these things, I'm now 5 turns from BW & I'll get my worker in 5 turns (and my Settler 9 turns after that...though I'll chop to get it faster at the end).
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG]
Not 100% sure what I'm going to do with my worker next. I'm either going to Mine the hill next to my capital, or make a road somewhere.
My Hamlet is cranking out the gold (I'm happy I did that earlier, rather than later even if it delayed a bit of growth) and will become a Village in 19 turns.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG]

Bubba is now on his return trip on the other side of the mountains, and Roadrunner (the new scout) will be heading NW towards where I believe Parkin came from.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG]
I could have gone to look more around xenu's territory, but that's just gonna have to wait. I need Bubba home for when I'm ready to go build my next city.

Next up, all the graphs and other stuff. The Demo screen is a nice one to look at. #1 in Crop yeild and #6 in GNP. I could have my Crop at 16 & Production at 4 right now if I felt like it, since while building the worker/settler it doesn't matter if I'm working the Plains Forest or Grass Forest.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG]

I'm also now the #1 city in the world:
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG]

The rest of the graphs I never know how to read in detail (other than generic comparison), but I figured I'd post them for the rest of you to see. I really don't know what in the game gives the specific ups & downs of the graphs. That's one of the things I kinda wish I had someone on my team or an adviser who could give me an idea of what they all mean.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG]
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG]
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG]
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG]
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG]

Well, looks like I made another misstep. Bubba just moved next to a big ole Bear that is going to chew him up and spit him out since I'm only at 1.6/2 health. I had forgotten that I wasn't at full health when I moved. bangheadbanghead
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG]

Roadrunner, the new scout is heading up NW along what appears to be a narrow land connector between our part of the continent and to where I believe Parkin came from.

Next turn is a biggie though. I get Bronze Working & Worker#2. That worker (plus the other worker who will finish the mine the following turn) will go chop the forest to the NE of the city in order to quickly finish a settler. And hopefully that settler can go find me some copper somewhere if I don't have any near my capital. Basically the copper location will determine which of my 3 city spots to go for first, but I'd like to be able to cut off some of the territory that plako will eventually expand towards. The area south of my capital is pretty safe for expanding to later.

HitAnyKey Wrote:The rest of the graphs I never know how to read in detail (other than generic comparison), but I figured I'd post them for the rest of you to see. I really don't know what in the game gives the specific ups & downs of the graphs.

Most of the graphs correspond to the numbers in the demographics screen. Culture is simply your total culture output for the entire empire.

There's a good explanation of how the numbers are computed on Civfanatics.