For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Land of Chaos - HitAnyKey

Well, got a couple good things & a potentially bad thing to report this turn:

First up.....BUBBA SURVIVED!!!!! jive
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG]
Now he'll be healing for the next 6 turns in the forest.

The bad news, Roadrunner has run right into LP's warrior which appears to be blocking the path at the edge of this land-connector. I've put out a request for him to let me pass, but with hearing all the other things he's been killing, I somehow doubt he'll let me live.
Plus, if he does let me live this turn (since he's slightly wounded), I need to decide whether to try to continue walking around him or turn around to run away and try exploring to the east of Xenu instead.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG]

Now for the rest of the stuff. Got BW this turn (which jumped me to the top of the score chart again), and my Copper is on a hill near where I was thinking of doing my next city. I also see plako's Copper is NW of his capital near where Bubba is. Don't know if he has copper anywhere else, but hopefully not. That's good news for me.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG]

So I've decided on the Plains spot between the Copper hill and the river. When the settler is built, he'll be able to make the city on the 3rd turn after that. And the workers will head straight for that hill, road & mine it, and then road back to the capital.
I've also decided that since Bubba will take so long to get home, and my first Axe will be so far away, I'm gonna grab Archery in 6 turns so I can at least build some decent defenders. Iron Working would be 22 turns away, and I think I don't need it right away, so I'll get some of the earlier techs first.

I was just thinking about something, and I'm trying to remember. Do you need the Fishing tech to have a trade route between cities that are on the same river? Or will I get instant trade route between my two cities once I settle on that spot?

Well, when I logged in today mackseven's scout was still next to my warrior since he hadn't logged in yet. So I checked the odds....73% because I would be attacking across a river & into a forest. Since my capital will be producing a warrior next turn, and next turn I also get Archery....I figured, wth, I'll take a chance. I lost, warrior is now dead. Ooops. Oh well. frown

For a moment, I thought mackseven was going to be mean and leave his scout in the spot where I was obviously planning to settle my city. I know I might have thought about doing so. But he moved on northwest. So with my workers coming together to finish the connecting road, I was able to move two spaces and create the city all on this turn. Hence the city of Hard Knocks has come to be.
The workers will then go make the mine, which will be complete in 3 turns. Hard Knocks is making a worker, which it will use the Copper Mine for completion.
The new warrior is heading over to garrison the new city, and I'll have an Archer completed in my capital in about 5 turns.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0028.JPG]

I decided to go for Masonry next, and possibly try for either Great Wall or Pyramids. Any of you lurkers have any input or thoughts on which might be better to go for? If I go for Great Wall, I'll probably try to settle the City4 spot so that I have a nice eastern wall. Otherwise, I'll probably settle City3 next if I decide on the Pyramids. The GW (once I hook up that Stone) should only take about 15 turns to complete if my estimate is anywhere close.
I'm losing 1 gpt right now, but in 8 turns my cottage will turn into a village and get me one more gpt back. I'll have to start making some more cottages or something, if I plan to settle another city in the near future.

On the exploring front, Roadrunner sees Googly's borders in the fog. I'm going to head up around the northern side of their borders for my exploration, I think.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG]
Hopefully I'll get to meet both ASM & Elkad before someone decides to kill him.

a) The look of the Wall doesn't really matter for it's effects.

b) You should ask yourself what do you want the GW for and what do you want the Mids for.

c) Do you profit from a wonder enough to put the needed hammers into them?

d) Which Cities can you use now? Which places can you settle that bring something positiv to your empire?

Rowain Wrote:a) The look of the Wall doesn't really matter for it's effects.

b) You should ask yourself what do you want the GW for and what do you want the Mids for.

c) Do you profit from a wonder enough to put the needed hammers into them?

d) Which Cities can you use now? Which places can you settle that bring something positiv to your empire?

As you can tell, I’ve obviously never bothered to look into the extreme detail mechanics of the game. It’s fun, I do what looks fun, and I don’t bother over-analyzing all sorts of things. I just don’t have the time or inclination to do so. smile

So you’re saying that if I built the GW and then later on the borders of my current cities grew and/or I settled new cities, the effects would still take place inside those new borders? If so, then I definitely want to go with the GW first. I want the greater chance of Generals for battles within my borders, plus a Great Spy would be a wonderful thing to get.
The Mids would be nice, for access to all those civics, and I’d also like the boost for Great Engineers (as they can get some nice techs). But I think the smarter play is to go for the one I can get quickest. Start getting those great person points and added cultural bonuses faster.

And if the effects of the GW will extend to cities founded later, then I have no need whatsoever to go found my third city before I finish it. But my 3rd will probably be the one to the south, since it’d be able to grow faster. I need Iron Working before the other city can do much, because there is so many jungles that need chopping.

HitAnyKey Wrote:So you’re saying that if I built the GW and then later on the borders of my current cities grew and/or I settled new cities, the effects would still take place inside those new borders?

Yes.

Just had to log back in just to so I can show what Roadrunner is seeing:
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG]

Interesting that with all the activity around Googly's cities that has been getting posted about, that he has sent a warrior on over to ASM's city. This city is extremely close to Googly, so it's gotta be the new city he made about 6 turns ago.
I don't have odds memorized, so I don't know what the combat odds of an unpromoted warrior trying to attack an unpromoted scout in a forest is. I'm hoping it's enough that Googly won't kill the scout. If he lasts past this turn, I'm going to send him northwest around ASM's city.

In other news, my capital grows next turn, I get Masonry, and a worker gets completed in Hard Knocks.
I'm gonna quickly churn out a Settler from Puddle of Doom, and then start on the Great Wall while I work on hooking up the Stone. I think I may go for Animal Husbandry next, to find out if I have any horses.

Thought I'd take this turn (T53) for a big update.

From what was posted in the other thread, I got bored and played with the powerpoint thing someone had created for dotmaps. It was kinda fun, but not something I'll do often.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide where to put my next city and might like some input if anyone is willing to offer your thoughts. I've already decided, I think I need to extend towards plako sooner than later. So the city I was going to found as #4 is now #5. I'm going to go southeast of Hard Knocks.
There is the "safe" plan:
[Image: DotmapFile-Safe.jpg]

And then the "risky" plan because it's a tile further east:
[Image: DotmapFile-Risky.jpg]

As you can see, the safe plan has me further back from the mountain valley. It also doesn't get me the bananas that is on the east side of the mountain. To get that I would need the city #6 that I've shown. Though I'm sure by the time I can get out there, plako will probably found a city somewhere on that eastern side that would have access to the bananas...and I'd just have to capture it.

The riskier spot I think is more desirable, as it has less overlap of the other city BFC's and also gets me the banana. But it's further away from my other cities, so therefore makes it tougher to defend.

Basically I'm curious if you guys think it's more important to keep my cities clustered super close together (and hence big overlapping BFCs), and that being outside of the 2-tile "valley" is easier to protect against. Or if I might be better off grabbing the valley spot, for extending my influence and grabbing additional resources.

Now for the actual turn and planning updates:

Last turn I ran the Roadrunner down into TT's new city area so that I could get a good look at it. Then made sure to be there for the turn flip so that he could quickly run away. That's gonna be some battle of territory between TT & ASM:
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0031.jpg]

I'll come back around to it later though, as Roadrunner is now heading north through the mountains to explore up that way.

Back on the home front all is going good.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0033.jpg]
I got AH and it gave me horses right near where I was founding my next city (Dragon's Mouth). Since it's outside the original culture, I'm gonna grab Mysticism to be able to build Monuments for the border pop. It's started a worker for the moment, but will switch to Monument as soon as it can.
Puddle of Doom has now started the Great Wall. Only 23 turns as of right now, but the forest north of the city will be chopped in 3 turns, and the Stone will be quarry'd in 3 turns. That'll get the GW out nice and quick. I'll decide at that time if I also go for the Pyramids, but I think some military will be more pressing, especially if I go for my #4 city.
Hard Knocks is making a Spearman since I see plako has horses near his capital, so I want to make sure I have that level of defense. Might go with a settler there next, since the city won't have good growth until I have time to get a worker up there to make a farm.
Thor (the axe at the northern edge of my border) is going chasing after a barbarian I saw. Hopefully he can catch it, grab some XP, and then head home quickly.

Oh, and I'm going for Iron Working after Mysticism. Need to start chopping those jungles, and get one of those Gems mined ASAP.