For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Land of Chaos - HitAnyKey

Well this is totally sweet!! This turn my capital grows, stone gets hooked up, my forest chop finishes, and those hammers get doubled into the Great Wall. I'll now finish the GW in a mere 4 turns!!! jive
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0036.jpg]

Also looks like I need to finally go road that Corn and/or build a Granary. The forest chopping has hurt my health with all these jungles around. But first gonna mine one of those hills.

So I'm trying to make a decision here, and would like some input to decide which is the best option. I kind of want to get the GW done ASAP both to make sure someone doesn't beat me to it last minute, and also to start racking up the extra Espionage points as soon as I can.

GW is currently at 94/150
To get it done in 3 more turns, I'm having to work two unimproved plains hills which I really don't want to be doing but it's the only way to get it as fast as this straight up.
I'm getting 20 hpt using the hills. If I move one hill to my plains cottage I get 18 hpt. If I move the other hill to my farm, I only get 14 hpt.
So I'm thinking of other options:

1. I whip it right now for a 2 Pop cost. I still have either 3 or 4 turns left of Unhappiness from the last time I whipped something. I whipped in 2000BC. I forget which actual turn that unhappy goes away. It's either when we get to 1600 or 1560. I think 1600, correct? What is the effect of another 2 Pop whip right now?

2. I wait until next turn and then I believe I can do a 1 Pop whip. If I wait until next turn to whip, can I NOT work the two hills and still be able to whip next turn? Basically, how many hammers do I need to get this turn in order to be able to whip next turn for 1 Pop?

3. I don't whip at all. I can work the two hills this turn for 20 hammers. Then next turn move a hill to my cottage to get me 18 hammers for the next two turns. That'll get me exactly to 150.

If I do options 1 or 2, I think my best bet after that is to let the overflow go into a Granary. I'll then decide if I want to try for the Pyramids, since I cranked out the GW so fast. If I don't get the Pyramids, the cash boost from not completing it I think may also be a good thing since I will be having to drop my research shortly as I go broke in a few turns.

Anyway, hopefully I can get some input on how best to manage the whipping if I use it for this thing. I want to get off these hills and back to my improved tiles, but I also don't want to have someone somehow beat me to the GW if they started it much sooner.

HitAnyKey Wrote:1. I whip it right now for a 2 Pop cost. I still have either 3 or 4 turns left of Unhappiness from the last time I whipped something. I whipped in 2000BC. I forget which actual turn that unhappy goes away. It's either when we get to 1600 or 1560. I think 1600, correct? What is the effect of another 2 Pop whip right now?
If you move your mouse over the whip-button in the city-screen you see how many pop will get whipped away.
Additional you get the info of: 'will add 1 unhappy for xy turns'. Usually this xy is 10 but if you have whipped recently the number will be 10 + the number of turns until the last whip-anger would have gone away.

Rowain Wrote:If you move your mouse over the whip-button in the city-screen you see how many pop will get whipped away.
Additional you get the info of: 'will add 1 unhappy for xy turns'. Usually this xy is 10 but if you have whipped recently the number will be 10 + the number of turns until the last whip-anger would have gone away.

I was hoping for a bit more insight into the strategies of whipping and such to help me choose an option, but thanks for this much at least. I had forgotten about the stacking of whips like that, but now I remember. And I knew about the pupup showing how many Pop would get whipped away, but for some reason hadn't really paid enough attention to notice the "for 14 turns" that it was displaying as well. And apparently it looks like a whip gives 30 hammers at this point, since the GW went to 154/150.
Anyway, decided to just whip it out now. I'll be able to grow back fast enough, while also not too fast to out-pace the 14 turns of unhappy. We'll just have to see how it all goes. But at least now I can finally get a granary in the city. I assume I'll have it built by the time I'm ready to grow from 4 to 5 again. And then I'll be able to grow to 6 pretty fast.

On normal seed, each population point whipped will give you 30 hammers if you have already invested hammers into the item being whipped. Wonders, however, come with a whipping penalty (here, it is -50%) so each population will only give you 15 hammers.

These hammers though are affected by production multipliers, so with stone, those 15 hammers are multiplied back up to 30 hammers by the +100% production modifier.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Well, it helps when you ask for advice to give as detailed info as possible, in this case a screenshot of the city.

I saw your question this morning, but realised I saw no decent way to speed up the wonder short of outright whupping - and I had to make some guesses based on the screenshot from the previous turn (and didn't have time to type up a reply).

Krill Wrote:On normal seed, each population point whipped will give you 30 hammers if you have already invested hammers into the item being whipped. Wonders, however, come with a whipping penalty (here, it is -50%) so each population will only give you 15 hammers.

These hammers though are affected by production multipliers, so with stone, those 15 hammers are multiplied back up to 30 hammers by the +100% production modifier.
Thanks. I didn't know about the wonder part & the stone modifier part.

kjn Wrote:Well, it helps when you ask for advice to give as detailed info as possible, in this case a screenshot of the city.

I saw your question this morning, but realised I saw no decent way to speed up the wonder short of outright whupping - and I had to make some guesses based on the screenshot from the previous turn (and didn't have time to type up a reply).
I didn't think another screenshot was needed, since the visual didn't change, and I provided the hammer details in the post.
In any case, what's done is done. Now I wait and see how it works out for me. smile
Do you think I made the best choice? The more I thought about it overnight, the more appropriate I think it was, since the city can regrow pretty fast.

HitAnyKey Wrote:Do you think I made the best choice? The more I thought about it overnight, the more appropriate I think it was, since the city can regrow pretty fast.

No comments. That's bordering on knowledge on what other players do.

So I'm kinda bummed that I don't get to see my Great Wall. I don't think I've ever actually gotten it built in an MP game, so I guess in this type of game it won't be shown? Anyone know why?
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0037.jpg]

Anyway, I see over to the east where plako's archer killed LP's scout. I suppose I should have just found a way to kill LPs scout myself earlier, as then I'd have gotten the XP. In any case, Thor (the axe) is going to start heading that direction to check things out. Need to see if plako has anything else around. The warrior will also keep an eye out.
Put Hard Knocks back to working the copper to get the Spear out in 3 turns (no growth) and then I think I may do a worker after that. That city needs a farm on the river to get some growth, I think.
Dragon's Mouth is getting a Monument chopped (so that the borders will expand) since it needs to be able to work the farm between the two cities, and also then have the workers hook up the horses.
Puddle of Doom is doing a Granary right now, but after I grow (in 3 turns), I'll re-evaluate what makes the most sense. Might need another quick military unit since I see plako is sending some stuff over my direction.
Roadrunner up north of TT has run into a panther after already being slightly wounded (he's .9 of 1) so hopefully he survives, since I'd like to get some more exploring done up there before he dies. I doubt LP will ever let me get another scout past his territory.
I'm anxious for Iron Working. I need to start clearing these jungles. Need the Gems and the Rice by my capital. And when the borders of Hard Knocks pops, it'll need those Bananas.

HitAnyKey Wrote:Dragon's Mouth is getting a Monument chopped (so that the borders will expand) since it needs to be able to work the farm between the two cities

It can already work that farm, since it's in the culture of the capital and in the BFC of Dragon's Mouth.