Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] PB7 Awards Thread

fluffyflyingpig Wrote:Can we give ASM and Parkin the Mist award for this fiasco yet?

I believe the game admin has the honor of bestowing that award. But if Mist sticks around, I'm sure he'll agree. bang

Is there some award for "making the game more fun" or "best updates" - something to that effect? If so, we should definitely award it to Ichabod smile

Alright so I suppose now is as good a time as any to start looking at nominees for some of these. My thought was we'd pick the nominees and let the "honoree" pick the winner when they're still active on the site. Perhaps polls would be better though. Open to suggestion here, this is about as officious a role as I'm capable of. lol

Anyway the list is a little monstrous at the moment so I'll just pop a few out every day for now. Maybe once we've gone through the list I'll spoiler them in towards the end of the first post - should be long enough at this point to not be an issue on mouseover.
  • The Tatan Award (PBEM4g, PBEM10) - Making the most of your position in the game, good or bad, and showing good spirits.

I'd say Ichabod and plako are probably the leaders at the turn right now. Anyone else stand out to the crowd?

• The plako Award - Not abusing the turn timer, even trying specifically to not abuse it, as though you were roleplaying some sort of perfect turn timer gentleman.

This one probably has to be sorted by the players, I'm surely not looking at civstats for this game ever.

• The Ilios Award (FFH2)- Fighting honorably and fiercely until the bitter end, never trying to throw the game or be spiteful, and keeping all the enmity in-game.

Uh... game hasn't been very good for this situation. Twinkletoes probably had the least angsty reaction to being under siege but I do think some manner of better resistance than TT put up was intended when this was created. Anyone else stand out?

• The SevenSpirits Award (PBEM19, PBEM23)- Showing innovative play and an enthusiasm for making the game fun and exciting.

pindicator probably stands out most here at this moment in time, though MackSeven and LP both executed rushes quite well and deserve some credit for that.

• The Pocketbeetle Award (FFH1)- Most entertaining thread updater

Again, pindicator and Ichabod are the only two that really leap to mind.

• The Oledavy Award (PBEM17)- Most interesting thread updater (note, not the same thing)

Almost has to be pindicator right now, doesn't it?

I'll give a day or so for some thoughts here before moving on in the list.
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

Gaspar Wrote:[*]The Pocketbeetle Award (FFH1)- Most entertaining thread updater

Again, pindicator and Ichabod are the only two that really leap to mind.

Probably depends on if we want to count the public thread as "thread updating." If so, it has to be Ichabod. If not, it's close.

Quote:[*]The Oledavy Award (PBEM17)- Most interesting thread updater (note, not the same thing)

Almost has to be pindicator right now, doesn't it?
[/LIST]

I realize he's pretty unpopular with some lurkers, but Lord Parkin would be my vote. Cheesy play aside, his thread is the most consistently interesting and well-documented. I think the fact that he's crushing everyone in thread views is evidence of that too.

scooter Wrote:I realize he's pretty unpopular with some lurkers, but Lord Parkin would be my vote. Cheesy play aside, his thread is the most consistently interesting and well-documented. I think the fact that he's crushing everyone in thread views is evidence of that too.

If I had to pick one of the two to get the award I'd prefer Pindicator. It's not that I have anything against Parkin - his is probably my favorite thread to follow in this game. It's because there is one major difference in our respective updating styles. Whenever I write an update, I usually tell absolutely everything I'm thinking, and don't try to hide anything. Parkin is a lot more enigmatic - we didn't even hear about his planned chariot invasion of TT's lands until he actually did so and TT broke the news. I'm not sure if it's because he really likes his dramatic reveals, is worried about lurkers leaks, or outirght afraid of opponents looking in his threads. Whatever the reason, I prefer it when an updater is more open smile

oledavy Wrote:If I had to pick one of the two to get the award I'd prefer Pindicator. It's not that I have anything against Parkin - his is probably my favorite thread to follow in this game. It's because there is one major difference in our respective updating styles. Whenever I write an update, I usually tell absolutely everything I'm thinking, and don't try to hide anything. Parkin is a lot more enigmatic - we didn't even hear about his planned chariot invasion of TT's lands until he actually did so and TT broke the news. I'm not sure if it's because he really likes his dramatic reveals, is worried about lurkers leaks, or outirght afraid of opponents looking in his threads. Whatever the reason, I prefer it when an updater is more open smile

I think he's worried about leaks. Note how when he's building the wonders he only shows them within 1 turn of being completed with not even a mention before smile

I am torn between pindicator/LP for best thread updates. I really like both.

Kalin

Ok, with little said let's run thru another half-dozen in search of nominees:

The Athlete4Life Award (PB2) - Sneakiest back stab gold star

Haven't really seen anything that qualifies yet that I can recall.

The Sandover Award (PBEM3) - Mostest with the Leastest award for crap land award

I'd say this goes down to plako or MackSeven. Maybe honorable mention to Lewwyn, but he's not updating much so hard to say. A lot of game left before we answer this question really.

The Adlain Award (PB4) - Leastest with mostest award for really good land frittered away

Little tricky here as the good land players seem to be doing well. Slowcheetah leaps to mind. I guess Twinkletoes had pretty good land as well, though fritter away vs. dead is a distinction.

The WarlordDr Award (PB4) - Warmonger of the year award for least infrastructure

That's gotta be Xenu/Commodore, yes?

The FFH7 Clowns Award Warmonger of the year award for most military (important distinction there)

Certainly looks like Parkin in my memory here as well, though I think this award will probably be decided later.

The novice Award (PBEM13, 17, 23) - for most insanely thorough spreadsheet MM plan

Haven't seen anything especially noteworthy thus far, pindicator is the only one who has shown us a spreadsheet. Though clearly both MackSeven and Parkin have executed some pretty solid micro.

Thoughts?
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

Parkin never had a large military.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

The Adlain award has to go to ASM, no? He's burned 3 settlers not getting a 2 gold site, right? I mean - he's not got great land, but he's burned something like 3 settlers not getting that 2 gold city.
Completed:  PBEM 34g (W), 36 , 35 , 5o, 34s, 5p, 42, 48 and PB 9, 18, 27, 57

Current:  PB 52.  Boudicca of Maya

Six weeks since the last proposed awards from Gaspar. Does anyone have any nominations? This game seems to be headed to its inevitable conclusion (to me at least), but many awards are still to be won. Thoughts?