Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] SleepingMoogle's thread, better late than never.

*Clears up the cobwebs*

I suppose that it was disappointing (though unfortunately not surprising) that some people can't keep their competitiveness out of even this game, and that's really all I have to say about that. There's about 15 pages worth of communication thread that I haven't read, since that would simply be wasting time.

Anyway, I was planning to to some kind of update, but pictures wouldn't really show much. The highlights are that I spawned a GS who built an Academy last turn, and founded Judaism in DT Play on this one (Ichabod's comment in the communication thread makes it sound as though I won a coinflip for that one). After getting Masonry and Polytheism, Juadism was still available so I figured I might as well take a gamble on it, and I'm glad that's paid off. DT Play is a pretty decent place for it too, since it's gearing up to be a commerce city anyway, and the culture means I can hook up the Gold faster and am in a good position to fight a culture war with Slowcheetah.

Speaking of which, Slowcheetah has been a nuisance with a Warrior covered by a Chariot. Until I saw that Chariot, I had no real reason to build Spears yet, mostly because every single Barb in the game was trying to cheese rush me. Seriously, if I remembered to take a screenshot about three turns ago, there were literally nine barbs in or near my borders. All of that activity made me build axes, which means I was unable to deal with SC's pillaging a cottage while rushing out a Spear. My next Settler was also slightly delayed because of it.

Things have finally quieted down, and I need to use the lull to start putting out a sentry net. Fortunately the barbs were kind enough to give an Axe the tenth XP point for an upcoming Heroic Epic. For that reason I'm going to pick up Archery next, then continue on towards Literature. I'll also need to figure out how to get Judaism spread to the rest of my cities.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

why does getting the 10th XP mean it's time to go archery? or is it time for archery, and the 10th xp means time to go for Lit?

Hmm, that paragraph didn't make a lot of sense now that I read it.

I'm picking up Archery first so I can train some cheap, defensive units to set up a sentry net. After that, teching will be towards Literature since I have the 10XP unit required to build the Heroic Epic and also have a shot at landing the Great Library. Having access to Marble makes both wonders easy to build as well.

Hopefully that makes a little more sense. smile
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

I thought that must have been what you meant. Thanks for clearing it up smile

What's happening to Moogle-land?

Barb invasion 2 mostly, now with axes. I'm trying to get my Sentry net out, but it's slow going, and all the barb activity is why a Slowcheetah city next to DT play is still standing.. I just don't have the forces to spare.

Well, that's Aesthetics down. Let's see if I can get Literature to chop out GLib before the player communications thread finally notices my GNP. lol

Also, most Barb Axes are gone now. I can FINALLY get my sixth city planted (south of the capital, snatching Fish and Wines), so I'm whipping out the Settler for that this turn or the next maybe, forgot the exact hammer count.

I'm fairly sure that I'm behind on city count at least compared to the top Civs. But expansion options are fairly limited until I can remove that jungle to my north.

There's not too much going on (in this thread at least). Sorry about that. While I never have been near the level of others in this community when it comes to documenting my in-game actions, the truth is even I expected I'd be updating this thread more often. It's just that my mood for this game isn't great right now. I said my piece in the public player thread, won't repeat it here, but suffice it to say, I doubt I'll be doing regular reports anytime soon.

I don't think I was ever able to actually land the Great Lib in hindsight.. I hadn't finished Math research even by the time Parkin finished it, and my capital didn't have enough hammer potential and leftover forests to compete. I did get a little bit of fail gold at least, enough to power through Mathematics and I got the Marble statue event for some more gold to keep up research. That probably is my saving grace right now, as the state of my Civ isn't great.

The manner lands are extremely cramped, wedged between two aggressive neighbours, a barb-infested jungle to the north, and an ocean to the south. I had to spend a ton of hammers in units to defend my borders, and the upkeep cost is starting to negate my early research advantage. That and the fact I have very little options to expand, the only realistic way right now is north, which requires tons of Worker labor to clear the jungle. Pindicator actually has a higher power than I do right now (which means I'll need to watch him closely I suppose), and Slowcheetah's cities might be interesting since he seems to be under attack by someone else, but they aren't attractive (not to mention their maintenance costs would be too high).

I don't really have clever ideas on how to solve the situation. Right now I'm teching towards Monarchy so that I can get some more use out of my military and increase city sizes, and I have tentatively selected my first 'jungle city' location. But barb axes keep appearing and eating my sentries, and now there's even a barb spear approaching my borders. So it will be slow going. Fortunately my HE is completed so I'm churning out 1-turn units. Most of my other cities are a bit hammer-poor so can't really contribute.

Fingers crossed this will work out.

Oh, also, my only sources of iron are outside of my current borders. One is between Pindicator and me, and the other is east of DT play. I doubt Pindicator will let me have that source uncontested, so I may have to see if I can make a claim for the latter.

what's going on in Moogleland?

I'm at least interested in the names of all your cities so far smile
--
Best dating advice on RB: When you can't hide your unit, go in fast and hard. -- Sullla

Sixpool
Bunker Rush
TwoRaxAllIn
DT Play
Void Rays
Proxy Pylon
Four Gate
One One One

I think that's all of them. smile

As for what's going on.. I'm not sure I know myself. I'm building up to something, but I'm expecting it to fall flat on its face. lol