For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

"how to mod" questions

(October 25th, 2013, 17:29)I like Serena Wrote:
(October 25th, 2013, 02:29)Nirran Wrote:
(June 4th, 2012, 14:29)I like Serena Wrote: chance hero = fame / 25 + 3
x 2 if famous
if more than 10% capped to max 10%
but additionally +10% for a computer player
finally adjust for #heroes already hired
chance = chance / ((#heroes + 1) / 2 + 1)

Edit: Note that you get a random hero, but it's still possible you do not meet
the minimum requirements of the hero.

25 = wizards.exe:be57b
3 = wizards.exe:be581
2 = wizards.exe:be596
10 = wizards.exe:be5a0
10 = wizards.exe:be5a4
10 = wizards.exe:be5ac
The rest is hard coded (i.e. not easy to modify)

25 = wizards.exe:be57b has 25
3 = wizards.exe:be581 has 3
2 = wizards.exe:be596 has 199 (hardcoded?no 2's near the offset)
10 = wizards.exe:be5a0 has 191 0xBE59D has 10
10 = wizards.exe:be5a4 has 246 0xBE5A1 has 10
10 = wizards.exe:be5ac has 52 0xBE5A9 has 10

All those(with the guesses) set to 255 was offered a hero 1-3 turns after start

Just checked.
You're talking v1.31 versus Insecticide.
Obviously you've been looking at Insecticide.
In Insecticide we have:
25 = wizards.exe:be57b
3 = wizards.exe:be581
2 = hardcoded now
10 = wizards.exe:be59d
10 = wizards.exe:be5a1
10 = wizards.exe:be5a9

Quote:the values of 10 are in order of appearance in the formula?

Yes.

thank you for the reply,yes it is insecticide,unknown to me of any difference

Thanks

Nirran

Here's an odd one I was pondering, to maybe make ships more viable: could movement rules be modified so ships can move across river tiles? Might be complex, and I'm not quite sure a unit's transport ability works correctly overland, but it would be sort of neat (incidentally, ships can move across land in one case: if you have two water squares diagonal to one anther, and two land squares at the other diagonal, the game will draw a land bridge between the two land squares, but a ship can still move between the two water squares).

(November 26th, 2013, 16:46)Anthony Wrote: Here's an odd one I was pondering, to maybe make ships more viable: could movement rules be modified so ships can move across river tiles? Might be complex, and I'm not quite sure a unit's transport ability works correctly overland, but it would be sort of neat (incidentally, ships can move across land in one case: if you have two water squares diagonal to one anther, and two land squares at the other diagonal, the game will draw a land bridge between the two land squares, but a ship can still move between the two water squares).

At world generation, the movement rate for ships and swimming units is determined and stored in a map.
This map is stored in the save game (-1 means impassable).
I think it should suffice if river becomes passable for ships and/or swimming units.
--I like ILSe

Is there a way to adjust the cost of using magic (spell) attacks? Ideally I'd like something along the lines of (MP/4) for caster creatures, (level*2) for caster heroes.

Alternately (probably easier), just have spell attacks ignore magic points and use ammunition, just like they do for non-casters.

(December 5th, 2013, 17:54)Anthony Wrote: Is there a way to adjust the cost of using magic (spell) attacks? Ideally I'd like something along the lines of (MP/4) for caster creatures, (level*2) for caster heroes.

Alternately (probably easier), just have spell attacks ignore magic points and use ammunition, just like they do for non-casters.

Can you be more specific?
I'm sure you are already aware of how to mod the costs of the spell, and I think there are already a couple of threads how to mod the pumping cost of spells.
So what are you asking for specifically?
--I like ILSe

(December 6th, 2013, 17:56)I like Serena Wrote: Can you be more specific?
I'm sure you are already aware of how to mod the costs of the spell, and I think there are already a couple of threads how to mod the pumping cost of spells.
So what are you asking for specifically?
I'm talking about ranged magic attacks, not stuff cast as spells. Those have a flat cost of 3 for spellcasters, and for non-spellcasters (sprites, etc) have a fixed number of shots. I'd like to either adjust that mana cost, or just ignore mana and have a fixed number of shots.

"just ignore mana" - is hardcoded, and not very easy. (include AI decision). what the unit must to do , if it remain no shoot but 5 Mp? Is it the same as fire spell for mana cost,practicaly ?

(December 11th, 2013, 11:00)Asfex Wrote: "just ignore mana" - is hardcoded, and not very easy. (include AI decision). what the unit must to do , if it remain no shoot but 5 Mp? Is it the same as fire spell for mana cost,practicaly ?
As AI decisions go, it's rather rare for casting a spell to be the right decision for a unit with a ranged magical attack -- an Efreet's spell attack does about the same damage as a 15 point fire bolt (18 in a node) for a cost of 3. As such, having ranged magical attacks be tracked separately would prevent the combat AI from doing a lot of idiotic things. In any case, the AI has no trouble dealing with missile attackers who can also cast spells, and number of shots works properly, so if there's just a way to get the game to treat ranged magical attacks as missile attacks for ammunition and logic purposes it solves the problem.

sounds good. The second: how the ammunition will rise with heroes lvl up? how many defaut amunition for them?

(July 22nd, 2012, 14:28)I like Serena Wrote: Hitpoints are handled separately at another place in the code.
ovr116:0C1D or WIZARDS.EXE:8e7ed is 2, meaning that at level 4 a regular unit (and also a hero) gains 1 hit point.
ovr116:0C24 is 4, meaning that at level 6 a regular unit (and also a hero) gains 1 hit point.

Note that the actual levels are 2 points higher than these numbers.

This is of course far from complete.
But I can see all these numbers and places in IDA.

I don't think this works. While the hit point bonuses show up on the overland map, they don't on the battle screen. Sounds weird, but it's true.