Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

"how to mod" questions

(December 12th, 2014, 14:08)Zaldron Wrote: 2) Is it possible to change the rarity of a Spell? If yes, is there a full list of the memory address of every MoM spell?
The rarity of a spell is based on its position in the spell list -- the first 10 are common, the next 10 are uncommon, and so on. You can change the rarity of a spell by moving it to a different slot, but I think some things are hardcoded and those spells won't work if moved.

(December 12th, 2014, 18:58)Anthony Wrote:
(December 12th, 2014, 14:08)Zaldron Wrote: 2) Is it possible to change the rarity of a Spell? If yes, is there a full list of the memory address of every MoM spell?
The rarity of a spell is based on its position in the spell list -- the first 10 are common, the next 10 are uncommon, and so on. You can change the rarity of a spell by moving it to a different slot, but I think some things are hardcoded and those spells won't work if moved.

Thanks for your suggestion. At the end of Wizard2.txt it is also written that "(...) You could for instance swap two spells completely by swapping their number-byte together with swapping their spell save modifier bytes." Do you think this escamotage is a possible workaround for changing the rarity of a spell without introducing bugs? For example, let's say that we want to change the rarity of the common Counter Magic spell to uncommon. At the same time, we also want to change Enchant Road spell from uncommon to common. Both spells belong to the Sorcery school, so if we swap the two spells between them using the trick suggested in Wizard2.txt, the end result is the same as changing only their rarity. Do you think this idea could work in practice?

(December 13th, 2014, 03:40)Zaldron Wrote: Thanks for your suggestion. At the end of Wizard2.txt it is also written that "(...) You could for instance swap two spells completely by swapping their number-byte together with swapping their spell save modifier bytes." Do you think this escamotage is a possible workaround for changing the rarity of a spell without introducing bugs?
Unfortunately, that comment is not totally true; some spell effects seem to be hardcoded based on slot (I think spells with a type of 5, but it's been a long time; in general I suggest testing). Counter magic should move, but enchant road may not work properly if moved.

The other problem is that the AI may not know that you've moved spells. In general I would only swap two spells of the same type (say, counter magic and blur), as the AI being confused shouldn't have much effect there.

Thank you Anthony, I´ll follow your precious suggestions. Now I only need the address spell list for Insecticide 1.40j+ to be operative (the one on Wizards.exe is incomplete). Do you know if the maker of the Insecticide patch already shared such a list with the community?

What trick is suggested in wizard2.txt which is interested you?

The trick of swapping two spells completely by swapping their number-byte, together with swapping their spell save modifier bytes and their names. It is described near the end of the file.

I am sorry, this always makes bugs, at least in Ai behaviour. All overland enchantments, all-combat enchantments (true light,holy word), some direct-damage spells (and firebolt - the important case!) have its hardcoded part .
The relatively safe is summoning creatures. Ai always try to cast the strongest. May be city enchantments and some unit enchantments(i will prove this).
One time i see a strange behaviour: SSSra (chaos and life) learn Tranquility, and cast it every turn (becouse its a strongest spell he know), and, becouse it have chaos book, it dissolve it immediately. (happens on the last insecticide,with no modifications of spell rarity).

Hm. Weird radical idea: what would it take to make it so:
  • To Hit rolls are random(20) < 5 + mods (instead of random(10) < 3 + mods)
  • To Defend rolls are random(20) < 5 + mods
  • Resistance Rolls are random(20) < (modified resistance)
Presumably this involves changing a few constants around, but depending on how scattered it is this might be easy or a giant pain.

This negates effect + to hit, eldrich weapon and bless\resist magic ets.
Current i play in mod with : defence roll (d7), ranged wizard attack have +2 ho hit (instead of 0 to hit) and d10,range attack spell reduced 3/5 cost, blur cut 1/7 attack also.Look more playable. for example gargules unit can kill up to 4 unit sprites.

Questions (I'm slightly pondering the idea of grabbing my 'one' mod and bringing back the multi-figure idea):

_I want it to become tougher to take a city fortress. How is it possible to give +1 tohit/to defend to defending fortress units? Or add 2X skill to defending wizard?
_How is it possible to change the power of immolation, firewall to something pretty remarkable? changing the power of firebolt or fireball don't seem to affect these spells.