I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Epic failure i.e. Postgame discussion

spacetyrantxenu Wrote:Anyway, thanks for the game idea Plako, I hope one day RB will give it another shot. With the right players this can work. But I think I'll lurk that one, probably best that some other players in this game just watch as well.

We did. It's called PB5, and as far as I can tell it's working quite nicely. Come lurk ya'll. smile

For myself, I have no lasting ill will towards anybody in this game. We certainly had some bad moments as a group, but there were lots of good moments too: I am eager to read about Mack & Seven's wandering settler, Lord Parkin's chariot land grab, just how bad Rome's land was, and the wandering travails of Speaker the Spy. This being my first RB Pitboss experience, I was very happy with how I played, even if there are little nagging "what ifs" that have me wondering.

So while this wasn't a rousing success, I wouldn't mark it down as a complete failure either. All the parties are still talking to each other, after all.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

I think the concept was fine. The double move rule should've been changed to at least 2 hours after your last log in, rather than 2 hours if you were the last to log in. The biggest issue was the clock gaming, rather than the double move rule. Bordering someone who always logs in before and after you is draining.

Having said that, I hold no grudge against LP. He clearly has a completely different perspective on the importance of MP Civ in his life to me, and I'm never going to compete with that.

Well, I just finished reading the lurker thread. Unfortunately, my impression is that that thread proves the game was a failure/disappointment. Most of the comments were about the drama going on in the game and there weren't many lurkers watching the game towards the end of it, it seems.

Coupled with the lack of interest in the postgame thread... frown

Reading your thread right now Ichabod! I've only gone through a few but hope to work my way through all of them eventually. If i have questions hopefully i'll post them befote everybody loses interest tongue
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Ichabod Wrote:Well, I just finished reading the lurker thread. Unfortunately, my impression is that that thread proves the game was a failure/disappointment. Most of the comments were about the drama going on in the game and there weren't many lurkers watching the game towards the end of it, it seems.

fwiw, I read all the threads in this game, and am sad to see it finish. Though there was a lot of drama in the public thread, many players found creative ways to have fun with this game, and I enjoyed reading about all the different strategies used. You especially seemed to put a lot of thought and humor into your posts, and it was appreciated.

pindicator Wrote:Reading your thread right now Ichabod! I've only gone through a few but hope to work my way through all of them eventually. If i have questions hopefully i'll post them befote everybody loses interest tongue

Hope you enjoy it. smile I'll start going through the player threads tomorrow, since I had been occupied with the lurker thread until now.

YossarianLives Wrote:fwiw, I read all the threads in this game, and am sad to see it finish. Though there was a lot of drama in the public thread, many players found creative ways to have fun with this game, and I enjoyed reading about all the different strategies used. You especially seemed to put a lot of thought and humor into your posts, and it was appreciated.

I'm glad you liked it. smile I think I was a bit too pessimist in my last post. I had some good times with the game and I think it also worked as a learning experience. And if the community (at least part of it) also enjoyed, then I'm happy.

Ichabod Wrote:Well, I just finished reading the lurker thread. Unfortunately, my impression is that that thread proves the game was a failure/disappointment. Most of the comments were about the drama going on in the game and there weren't many lurkers watching the game towards the end of it, it seems.

For me it's not a lack of interest in the postgame thread. I just haven't had time. I was actually away all weekend down at the Jersery Shore, then last night after a long drive back I had a doubleheader of softball, and was beach volleyball. So I barely had time this weekend to capture my XCom AI city, let alone post any updates or comments. I might have time tomorrow. We'll see.

On a side note, is there any talk of another game or anything of any sort starting up? I think I would still like to play another game here at RB. See if I can't get myself started a little better this time around. I learned a few things this game. Namely, don't settle my cities so far apart. As I explored, I noticed most people settled cities much closer than I did. And that screwed me in the end by not having enough city output. Also, I didn't start cottaging the land early enough either.

I think the "(almost-)unedited, script-generated map" idea proved to be both a blessing and a curse. It made the beginning of the game incredibly fun to lurk, because you had 18 completely different starts and every corner of the world was unique. 100 turns later, though, it was obvious that a lot of people were doomed to mediocrity thanks to isolation / crap land. I'm sure this made it frustrating for the players; most people either checked out and stopped updating, or blew up in the diplo thread. Both of which caused lurker enthusiasm to drop, I'm sure.

Nydaeli Wrote:I think the "(almost-)unedited, script-generated map" idea proved to be both a blessing and a curse. It made the beginning of the game incredibly fun to lurk, because you had 18 completely different starts and every corner of the world was unique. 100 turns later, though, it was obvious that a lot of people were doomed to mediocrity thanks to isolation / crap land. I'm sure this made it frustrating for the players; most people either checked out and stopped updating, or blew up in the diplo thread. Both of which caused lurker enthusiasm to drop, I'm sure.

Speaking as one of the players who got a terrible start, I thought it was great! Adapting to your position is an interesting challenge.

People aren't used to script-generated maps though, and it showed.