I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Epic failure i.e. Postgame discussion

@Parkin and @Seven - Do you guys have end-game sustainable science demos posted anywhere? I'd be interested in comparing.

My 20,000 feet summary of the game:

*The public diplo I thought went incredibly well. I don't want to use it in every game, but I think it did exactly what it set out to do in diplo terms.

*The unbalanced map I feel went moderately well. It was certainly exciting early (easy to say with good land), and it forced a variety of strategies. One thing that worked out very well in this game was that the civs that decided to play a high-variance rush strategy were successful at it. One option for a future game would be something like wheel or ring map, where specific tiles are random but no one has 1/4th the land of someone else.

*The limited double-move rule was a disaster. I don't think it was poorly conceptualized, and in general I think people overthink such rules, overestimate the impact of double-moves, and are too unwilling to take in-game countermeasures. But that's only true when players are at least roughly even in terms of skills and/or effort. Having a few players unmercifully take advantage of double-move opportunities while others handed them a steady stream of workers and cities was frustrating. The sad takeaway is I now have a list of at least 4 players from this game I won't play with again depending on the setting.

End-game breakeven research was approximately 600 beakers/turn.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

I think the problem with this game was the combination of defining it as a "casual" game, while at the same time allowing double moves. The former attracted a bunch of players who wanted to log in once a day and not spend too much time on the game; the latter rewarded timer gaming. I think a very high percentage of the people in this game had never been double moved, and were not really prepared to deal with a double move, despite being warned ahead of time.

Honestly... I'm disappointed that I never was double moved. After I did my second one and realized that I was never going to have one of my neighbors double move me it made me not want to do it again.

Oh wait, ichabod double moved me! Thank god for Ichabod!
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Lord Parkin Wrote:End-game breakeven research was approximately 600 beakers/turn.

I know your research rate bro smile I'd love to see those demos though, more curious how strong you were in the other categories.

Hm.... I think at the end of the game we were doing 170 or so (and 40ish ep) but that's while regrowing after turning half our pop into knights and before adding our new cities, so it's not a very useful number. Before the whipping spree we were doing 250 sustainably. So take from that what you will. Make no mistake, we still had a very rough hill to climb. Plan was to transition into an espionage economy to try to keep up. We teched engineering a couple turns ago now and were going to go for some combination of philosophy, nationalism, constitution, compass, optics, astronomy, gunpowder, chemistry, balancing naval power and espionage.

I think people have consistently overestimated our position throughout the game, but we tried our best in any case.

@Seven - Thanks! I think people may have indeed overestimated your position, but I also think you all vastly underestimated it at least publicly.

FYI your beakers-per-turn were just below mine before your whipping phase. Unfortunately for me I had really only about 3 cities coming online (and no GLighthouse lol) so you had a lot more room to grow.

sunrise089 Wrote:I know your research rate bro smile I'd love to see those demos though, more curious how strong you were in the other categories.
Um... demos have been posted in my thread for a while now...? Or did you mean graphs?
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Commodore Wrote:Read PB5. Move along with the whole "have to double"

+1. Although if everyone had my schedule of can-only-play-1x-a-day it would be a LOT worse.

Lord Parkin Wrote:Um... demos have been posted in my thread for a while now...? Or did you mean graphs?

I meant demos. Thanks! I was just super lazy so I wanted to ask rather than read....