I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Gillette- The Best a Man Can Get

Zalson Wrote:This seems to be as good a place as any to say that I will be out for the next month. Fare well, Team Gillette, as I always stop shaving while on vacation.

I know my enormous contribution will be deeply, deeply missed...

Same here. Will be gone 2 weeks starting Friday evening.

Good luck guys!

Enjoy your vacations gents.

Since we're doing this here, I should note that I'll be gone for most of the weekend and Monday. I may pop in once or twice, but I'll not really be around to discuss much starting tomorrow night through Monday night.

Hey everybody,

Its not too late to be introducing myself is it?

I'm based in England - so operating on GMT and have been working through old adventures and epics on the rb site for a couple of years, but only delved into the forums properly in the last six months or so. Needless to say that's given my Civ-playing a new lease of life and think I'm improving... Might even write a report for Adventure 54!

Having read a bunch of the site it seemed like the most knowledgeable folks were here which is why I asked to join - thanks for having me! I'm afraid I can't offer deity-beating or MP experience (and I don't want to risk logging on to play turns as I think my computer might kill Sunrise' server) but I noticed the naming things thread has philosophers for workers but hadn't got on to cities yet - how about Philosophical theories - there seems to be one for every occasion:

Epicureanism (is there any wine nearby?)
Shamanism (where we build Stonehenge)
Determinism (the one we were always going to settle)
Cynicism (one we said we wouldn't settle)
Stoicism (a rubbish filler city)
Conflict theory (troop pump)
Logical Positivism (any pink dots planned?)
Deconstructivism (any that we steal...)

There are a bunch more here

Anyhow nice to meet you all and I'm off to try and catch up with all the threads...

Old Harry

Welcome!
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Welcome to the team, Old Harry!

Welcome Old Harry! You chose the right team. smile