I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Settings Discussion

Ok, it's early, but some basic settings discussion would be good. To avoid confusion, we'll branch this away from the intro threads. Our team gets 1 vote here, so it'll be the job of all of us to come to some sort of consensus. To start us off, let's look at a few big-picture settings that we'll want opinions on sooner rather than later. The first one is the most important one only because it will be the first we need a vote on.

1) Forums: Open or closed? Open would be PB6-style, closed would be possible for anyone to join whomever they want, but it would require people to create accounts and join to follow.

-Open Benefits: Easiest to lurk, likely increases total eyeballs on the game with no barrier to entry
-Closed Benefits: Potentially increases registered members, likely increases the amount of people registering as team members rather than global lurkers.

2) Diplomacy: Full or Limited? Surely it has to be on, but if you'd like to propose a limitation of some sort, feel free.

3) Tech Trading: Off or Limited? Mackoti proposed a 2 techs recieved per era limitation for example.

4) Leader Choices: All available? Krill's 5/5 snake ban method? Others?

Once we get going, I may create a voting spreadsheet similar to the CFC game if that sounds good with you all. smile

Haven't signed for team yet, (hopefully im allowed to read this) but is the purpose of this game simply to bring in new members?!
Although im new here (so you can ignore what I say and I won't care) thelets close forums to get new members, really gives me a bad vibe, as it seems like a sort of publicity stunt aimed at getting members.
I don't know about you but if all the PB and PBEMs had been locked I would never have lurked or signed up, as that requirement, destroys the spirit of the community. Again I haven't even chosen a team and will probably sign up open or closed, but that sort of gesture grates on me.
I mean i understand for CFC (kind of) but the point of this one is for RB players to make one that better fits the spirit.
Also, for Krill's snake pick, it sounds good on paper but in practice only crummy traits and rush leaders will end up being banned.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

Threads: Closed - Get people to join teams or at least dedlurk. (@Ogqqqq: I kinda see your point but I don't consider it a 'get new members' stunt, rather a 'get existing members off the fence and to join one of the teams' stunt.)

Diplomacy: Full (It's half the fun for demo-games.)

Tech Trading: Off or severely restricted. Tech trading was horrible in PB1. I never switch it on even in single player. Lots of tech trading hate here smile

Leaders: It would be more ineresting without the 'obvious' picks. Perhaps banning Financial + Inca + India. I can see problems with the double snake-pick, it's weird picking a combo you're not going to have, in fact after the obvious cases, you'll actually start picking a combo you think others value more than you do. (I agree with Ogqqq here that it looks better on paper than it will in principle work out.) I would even say yes to a reverse snake pick - you pick a leader/civ combo that will be randomly assigned to someone else so everyone will pick the worst they can think of and people have to make do with what they get.

Also, would there be any traction in suggesting we play with the RB balance mod? I've played a few games with it and I find the balance better, the obvious power-plays have been brought back a bit and it would mean we could have a fully unrestricted snake-pick with traits that are better balanced.

Ok, my preferences:

Threads: Closed. Ogqqqqq - Feedback greatly appreciated and it did make me pause and think. However, as Shady said, I'd like to see fewer lurkers and greater member participation, so my vote is for closed. And again, if someone still DOES want to lurk, they can just sign up for all of them and keep quiet smile. We certainly won't be rejecting any requests to join if that's what you are concerned about.

Diplomacy: Full on

Tech Trading: Off. Mackoti's idea could potentially work, but I'd rather play with it off.

Mod: I really do like RB Mod and would happily play another game with it, but I'm against it for this game because it's a barrier to entry. Anyone who ever wants to login would need to install it, and that'll be a barrier. It also makes it harder for greener players to contribute as it can be tough to differentiate between mod changes and the base game. So my vote is no mod.

Is there a way to make it that you can access all if NOT logged in but closed to members.
Also could this not be a team-by-team thing (you lock your thread but others open?).

How many threads willyou make, and could you make a player list (I will join team with least players)?
Thanks
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

I have a couple strong opinions:

Mod - None. Barrier to entry for logging in etc.

Leaders/civs - big no to the idea of picking other people's stuff. The problem is you don't end up with quirky picks, where you need to play in a new cool way. Instead you end up with mostly blank picks where you pretty much ignore your leader and civ. Or worse, some people end up picking e.g. water civs and then it's a water map (see pbem10 which used this pick method, and there ended up being Netherlands which is one of the better civs for such a setup).

1) Forums: Open. But global lurkers should have no right to post in team threads.

2) Diplomacy: Full.

3) Tech Trading: OMG OFF.

4) Leader Choices: 5p snake pick is insanely boring if it's the usual set. So something should be done. Willem, Pacal, India and Inca for first 4 picks in some order.

An RBMod snake pick would work well enough, I think (Slavery is incredibly different now...)

Maybe I'm biased, but I think that PBEM10's leader-picking idea worked OK, except for the fact that we didn't know the water level of the map first. So if we knew the map's set-up, and then did:
Add two leaders + a civ to the pile.
Add a leader + civ to the pile.
You can't draft your own choices. Note: that's 15 leaders, not 10, as frankly with just 10 the choices were AWFUL. But at 15 you'd have some options that are well off the beaten path.

EDIT: For those of you that don't know, here's how PBEM10 worked:
Everyone put in 2 leaders and 2 civs (snake-pick, add one of each on each pass through). Then we did a snake pick from those available options, where you weren't allowed to take a leader or civ that you entered.

1. Forums- open.
2. Diplomacy- full.
3. Tech Trading- Severely limited or off.
4. Snake Pick- usual snake pick.

OFF for any mod suggestions. I apologise to anyone in advance as it's purely a selfish vote from the standpoint of i'm already in games with 4 different mod load outs (vanilla, FfH, EiTBv8, EiTBv9). It's a pain in the arse as it is loading and unloading mods all the damned time.

Kyan,

I use this for my mod loading, it's a great thing to have on my desktop:
http://db.tt/GBPeNivW

Cyneheard Wrote:Kyan,

I use this for my mod loading, it's a great thing to have on my desktop:
http://db.tt/GBPeNivW

Whilst I trust you, what is it mate? A tool to pre-load civ with the mod on?