I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Settings Discussion

Commodore Wrote:One problem is that effectively Inca gets banned by that setup too. The next biggest power trait after Exp is Cre, which seems a little superfluous pairing with Inca. Unless you're willing to gamble on Rammer or Gandhi, it's hard to justify.

SevenSpirits Wrote:I don't see this as a big problem. Most leaders and civs are subpar, and most other suggestions for how to run the snake pick would have it banned outright. Inca is still one of the best civs for a non-EXP/CRE/FIN leader here, so it's not unthinkable that it would be chosen.

Yeah, was thinking the same, I don't see that as a problem at all. It's either that or outright ban Inca - at least here teams get a choice between a neutered Inca or some other civ. Neutered Inca is still not terrible.

Civs/Team: 1
Starting Era: Ancient
Sequential/Simultaneous: Simultaneous
Diplomacy?: Full private
Always War?: No
Barbs?: No
Spies: Yes (no change civic/religion)
Corporations?: Yes
Blockades?: Modern Era only
War Elephants?: Khmer only
Tech Trading?: No
Nukes?: no
Screenshots before Paper?: Yes
Wonders banned? none
Pick Method? Snake pick where you can't have more than one of EXP, FIN, India, Inca
Map restrictions? Mapmaker choice

I'm a little disappointed that the snake ban isn't getting much love, seems to be a very interesting idea to me

yuris125 Wrote:I'm a little disappointed that the snake ban isn't getting much love, seems to be a very interesting idea to me

I liked it a lot at first, but I guess I don't get the point of it... Is it meant to remove the best 5 leaders and civs? Is it meant to be a minigame to strategically remove/allow certain things?

scooter Wrote:I liked it a lot at first, but I guess I don't get the point of it... Is it meant to remove the best 5 leaders and civs? Is it meant to be a minigame to strategically remove/allow certain things?

Yeah, at best it does one of these, and in neither case do I think it improves the game. I'd rather decide a banned list by fiat and not spend a bunch of time on having teams discuss exactly which thing they should use their ban on.

scooter Wrote:I liked it a lot at first, but I guess I don't get the point of it... Is it meant to remove the best 5 leaders and civs? Is it meant to be a minigame to strategically remove/allow certain things?

I think it's the latter. Obviously we will get the usual suspects banned, but deciding what else to ban could be interesting

Thinking about it for longer, maybe it doesn't make much sense, maybe we will just get all the standard bans, and not much extra variety. I can get behind the "Snake pick where you can't have more than one of EXP, FIN, India, Inca" option

Sequential/Simultaneous: Simultaneous
Spies: Yes (no change civic/religion)
Corporations?: No
Blockades?: Must be at least a Transport (i.e., 16+ Str).
Tech Trading?: No
Nukes?: no
Screenshots before Paper?: Yes
Wonders banned? none
Pick Method? Snake pick where you can't have more than one of EXP, FIN, India, Inca
Map restrictions? Mapmaker choice

Sequential/Simultaneous: Whatever the experienced players think works best
Spies: No
Corporations?: No
Blockades?: Modern era only sounds fine
Tech Trading?: No, or if on, then limited
Nukes?: No
Screenshots before Paper?: No
Wonders banned? All allowed
Pick Method? Seven's suggestion makes a lot of sense
Map restrictions? Mapmaker's choice

Always War: No
Blockades: Banned or modern era only
Nukes: No
Tech-Trading: Two per era or otherwise limited
Map: Moderate or low, but existent sea level
No other preferences
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I filled people's recent suggestions into the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...iOGc#gid=0)

We have unanimity for:

Starting Era: ancient
Sequential/Simultaneous: simultaneous
Nukes?: No

We have a sigificant majority for:

Wonders banned? No
Map restrictions? Mapmaker's choice

Still in the balance:

Barbs?: No / Yes / Not raging
Spies?: No / Yes (no change civic or religion)
Corporations?: No / Yes
Blockades?: No / Not Galleys or Triremes / Modern only / Yes
War Elephants?: No / Yes / Khmer only
Tech Trading?: No / Limited 2 techs per era
Screenshots before Paper?: No / Yes